Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very close to closing out a deal for the 1998 ZX7R have been waiting so long for. I found the bike through traderonline and the owner lives in or very near Wichita, Kansas. Couple of things have come that I could use some advice on.

1. I do not know how to get this bike here. I'm sure I could get it shipped from a company that ships motorcycles but I don't know who or how much this is going to cost. Wicjita is about 12-13 hours from BR and I am also considering either going to pick it up, having him trailer it here, or meeting somewhere in between. I know I will need a truck or a Uhaul if I do this but is this a smart way to do it and what kind of tie-downs will I need? What should I do?

2. If I do not meet him or deal directly with him, I am assuming I should use an online Escrow service to protect myself. Is this the best way to go or is there another option here?

3. How do I deal with the Title transfer?

Thanks.

------------------

·
Registered
58 Posts
Joe my friend you are a little too worried about this. If the guy is willing to meet for no extra charge then do it. Meet him half way, sounds fair to me. Second, get a pickup or van. You'll need at least two tie downs but four is better. Any decent hardware or auto shop should have these. Not sure what they'll charge you though. About the title transfer, thats easy. As long as the bike is paid off. If it is in fact paid for just do the exchange when you meet to drop off the bike. All he has to do is sign the title in one spot and you can fill out the rest. Bring him a cashiers check or cash so he knows he's not getting ripped off. If the bike is not paid for things are a little more complicated but not all that much. He still signs the title over to you and you still give him a deposit of some amount, preferrable enough to pay off his loan. That way the title is still yours. Then when he pays off the bike have him fax you a copy of the lein release from his financial institution. Then when you recieve this send him a check or wire him the rest of the money.

------------------

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
What kind of shape is the bike in? Have you ever ridden a long distance? If it's in good shape and you have experience under your belt, why not take this oppertunity to take a road trip with your new bike and relax do some frequent stopping by taking in some sites or just chill. If you get a U-haul I'm sure your local bike shop can hook you up with the right tie-downs. If your luckey they might even have some that you can use.

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
83 Posts
One word of advice if you have to buy tie-downs. DON'T GO CHEAP!!! Buy the best ones you can afford. There are some out there that even have a little bit of stretch to reduce the swaying when transporting.

Trust me I know from experience about the cheap tie downs. I thought I could just pick some up at K-Mart and haul my bike down south. Well about 20 minutes into a 2 hour haul I look back and TWO of my ties are broke and flapping in the wind, with the bike leaning DANGEROUSLY over. Still can't believe it didnt fall over. Had to ride it the rest of the way in 32 degree weather with no jacket! Good luck on your deal

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bike is in good condition but it needs a new front tire. I would be skeptical of riding it that long of a distance without having it checked out and a new front put on.

The bike is paid for so I guess the title exchange is going to be rather simple. Also, I posted this on another site and not one of the answers I got back even mentioned shipping the bike. I guess going to get it or meeting is preferred since that way you can see it before you finally say ok. I'll talk to the local shop monday about tie downs. A cover might also be a good idea.

Can I rent a Pickup truck anywhere? I would hate to drive all those miles in a slow ass Uhaul truck.

Thanks for the help.

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Posin' Joe!! Wassup Dog!!

My friend bought a bike at the start of the spring, It was about 500KM away but we still wanted to tow it.
We dragged it by means of a Trusty Ford Contour and a trailer.
We put the bike in the back of the trailer, Tied it down. We only tied it in the front, and the middle, 4 tie downs, 2 each side( :D).
When and IF you decide to put it in a trailer of truck or uhaul... BOTTOM OUT THE SUSPENSION! If you hit a bump the bike will naturally absorb the impact, as it travels up and down it could wrestle its way loose.(Kinda when RCjohn tries to get out of his Pink Teddy :D) so like I said, Bottom out the suspension.

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would think there must be a car rental place somewhere near you that rents trucks (budget etc). try the dealers (Ford Chev, Dodge) They sometimes rent trucks or may know of where to rent one. I would not use a cover because of it flapping in the wind might do more damage than good. They also make straps that hook on the end of the bars so the tiedowns don't touch the fairing. Good luck on your bike!!

------------------
curiousity killed the cat but for a while I was a suspect!!
Landon
92 viffer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Around here U-Haul rents pickup trucks. I would check with them first. They mean for you to haul things with it, so if there is a minimal amount of damage they would almost expect it.

------------------
95% of Harley Davidsons are still on the road today,
5% actually made it home!

Bryon Hart
Ocala, Fl
95 ZX-7

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok here is what I think is going to happen. The seller is willing to meet me 1/2 way, which is going to be appoximately 350 miles for me. He might be willing to get the bike a new front tire for which I will reinburse him prior to our meeting depending on when we decide make the exchange. I would feel pretty confident if he puts a new tire on the front that I would be able to ride 350 miles with 3-4 stops. I have never taken road trip on a bike over 80 miles because I have never needed to. Is this too far to ride for someone who hasn't done it before or is this totally doable???

Thanks for the help.

------------------

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
A 350 mile trip will be a long ride That is about 4-5 hours. Since you are meeting him are you having someone else drive you there? If so could it be a truck just in case you can't ride? Also, if you are riding at night or if it is a little chilly make sure you bring extra layers, several degrees and an hour of riding make cool temps really cold. Or so I've heard. Take it easy on the bike and do a good inspection of it before you ride it. Best bet would be to have a buddy follow, its also an easy way to find out how good your friends are. My brother rode for 14 hours total to go get my present bike. Good luck

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

[This message has been edited by funksouljon (edited October 01, 2000).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts