Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GSXR 750
I am wanting to put a customized quad exhaust on it. (Basically 4 straight pipes)
My concern is not how it will sound I know I can add a baffle on each pipe if I need to.
but my question is- Is there any Mechanical reason why i can't put a customized Quad pipes on my bike?
I also understand I will have to get a fuel and air tunning system.
I also understand the Fuel injection automatically adjust the intake a certain amount. but is there an upgrade i can do for the intake as well? Possibly a Vavle upgrade.

thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unless you are planning some other really serious mods like cyl head work, cams, big bore, etc., I really doubt the extra expense of doing 4 individual pipes is hardly worth the price vs. perf increase ratio.

I believe a well designed 2>2 or 4>1 system can make as much or maybe more power than individual pipes in all but a flat out max perf drag setup.

But, then again, I'm not a pipe expert....

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Whoaru99 said:
Unless you are planning some other really serious mods like cyl head work, cams, big bore, etc., I really doubt the extra expense of doing 4 individual pipes is hardly worth the price vs. perf increase ratio.

I believe a well designed 2>2 or 4>1 system can make as much or maybe more power than individual pipes in all but a flat out max perf drag setup.

But, then again, I'm not a pipe expert....
+1

Exhaust gain is minimal on any naturally aspirated vehicle... be it cage or bike. The only engines that truelly benifit from the free flow are forced induction.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Coolness is in the eye of the beholder so that's up to you BUT.... if it's performance you're after, forget it.

Do a search on headers and how they function. They'll explain it.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Cycle World had a CBR600RR that was turboed and tuned with 200hp to the rear wheel on stock motor internals. After doing a 200mph salt plains pass, they blew the head gasket after the first run.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Four separate pipes do perform very well; in fact they were always the favorite of Pops Yoshmura. The problem is weight. Four pipes will add a ton of weight even if you make them as light as possible. Back in the good ol days nearly all the high performance bikes came with one muffler per cylinder. One of the more undesirable properties was the short life span. The darn things were made of paper-thin metal and they rusted out in the first year or so. Everybody couldn't wait to give then a heave-ho and install a much better single pipe header system. Going backwards is usually the lifeblood of the Harley crowd. The general idea with a sportbike is to make them better but never at the price of loosing performance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Separate pipes require crossovers for midrange. On Triumphs, Harleys, two strokes, BMWs, four into two with crossovers is better, like FJ1100-1200. Racers use four into one for weight reduction and top end, then add restriction valves (exup. suz whatever). "Best" aftermarket systems four into two into one mimics four into two performance. You could try 4 pipes from 200 dirt bikes and work from there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
keep your exhaust and just get some spray for some serious HP. That way, the cops wont hunt you down for a loud tone and you will be MUCH MUCH faster

·
Registered
352 Posts
i remember some douche on a haggard "custom" SOHC cb750 chopper with 4-4 exhaust and it sounded so horrible, and my lil 550 with 4-1 exhaust completely whopped his ass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts