Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you might know, I have an 02 f4i. But, I am seeling it and buying a new bike. I have completely fallen in love with the 954rr, but am pretty impressed with the rc51 as well. I completely understand what I am looking for ina bike, but am very much bias in my desicion. What do you think are pros and cons for each bike? Thanks.

Jack

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
why are you selling a new bike? :confused:

if you're honda-loyal, i think the 954 is a better street bike. more power, more comfort, less weight. the rc 51 is a great bike, and you could ride it forever. but the 954 is just a great streetbike.

the biggest problem with the 954 is the gsx-r1000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude, go with the RC-51. That bike just ****ing kick-ass. Hayden has won 8 of his last 9 on a RC-51...you don't see him riding a 954 do you?

But, the posting before me has a good point. The 954 is a great streetbike. Weight almost equal to the 600F4i but with more ponies under the tank. Then again, the torque of that v-twin has got to get your testosterone overflowing! **** YEAH!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hard to recommend a new bike unless we know why your selling your "old" one. What type of riding do you want to do with your new one? (I'm also curious to know how many miles you've got under your belt).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
How could you be bored with the F4i already? If the F4i won't do it for you; you will tire of the 954 soon too I bet. :rolleyes: Unless you can just ride the tires off your current bike; there's not a good reason I can think of to step up to a liter bike (especially at 19).

·
Registered
202 Posts
My friend has a RC51 and the only thing he doesn't like is how low the handle bars are. You will feel uncomfortable. Other then that if your a fast rider and not a stunt ridder go with the RC51.

·
Registered
284 Posts
gman said:
Dude, go with the RC-51. That bike just ****ing kick-ass. Hayden has won 8 of his last 9 on a RC-51...you don't see him riding a 954 do you?
This one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen. Maybe he's not racing the 954 because it's got 204 more cc's than what is legal. Just a thought, though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm kinda in the same situation and I'm leaning towards the RC51. I don't know about where you live but having an RC where I am, you might as well have an Aprilia. They are just that rare a sight around here. I like being different and that's the only reason I would go with the RC. 954's are everywhere and with good reason. They are very nice. But if you are just cruising the streets with some of your boys, you'll probably turn more heads with the RC. Not to mention, everyone will here that V twin rumbling for miles. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
seebeearsenal said:
I'm kinda in the same situation and I'm leaning towards the RC51. I don't know about where you live but having an RC where I am, you might as well have an Aprilia. They are just that rare a sight around here. I like being different and that's the only reason I would go with the RC. 954's are everywhere and with good reason. They are very nice. But if you are just cruising the streets with some of your boys, you'll probably turn more heads with the RC. Not to mention, everyone will here that V twin rumbling for miles. Good luck on your choice.
The RC does turn heads and sounds great but it is one of the worst commuter sportbikes on the road... very hard to ride in traffic. The race oriented transmission makes the thing a bear to ride below 20mph. :)

Forgot to add that it is very uncomfortable compared to the F4i and RR. :(

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
dtlaine said:

This one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen. Maybe he's not racing the 954 because it's got 204 more cc's than what is legal. Just a thought, though.
Hey, easy on the guy. ;)

That said, Nicky's RC51 is about as close to the 954 as it is to a stock RC51.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oh, yeah, no doubt, but the GSX-R 750's he's racing against are probably a lot like the stock GSX-R1000's. How fun would that be to ride one of those? A 150ish BHP 600, in essence.

·
Registered
346 Posts
new atomization

RCjohn said:

The RC does turn heads and sounds great but it is one of the worst commuter sportbikes on the road... very hard to ride in traffic. The race oriented transmission makes the thing a bear to ride below 20mph. :)

Forgot to add that it is very uncomfortable compared to the F4i and RR. :(
hey john, do you know, isnt that problem more tame now because of the new fuel injection? or do you just mean the gearing? if so, do most ppl change sprockets to go up in teeth or go down? i know up for the track..

·
Registered
346 Posts
contemplation

im actually contemplating the same question you are. cept im not seling a new f4,

somebody made a good point.. have much riding time do you have under your belt? those two bikes are pretty much top of the line bikes with a walllop of power, that said, juss use good judgement..

but yeah, i want an RC, need to ride one to see if i can live with seeating position, weight of bike etc, if not, im gettin a 954, or juss a 929, still a great bike..

i will be riding about 50/50 street/canyons..

wit the occasional trackday every few months hopefully..

these are all considerations you should think about when makin your choice, not just the power n looks..

now i jusss gotta sell this damn monster quickly, i tell ya, quickly
:D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Re: new atomization

Gixxerboy said:

hey john, do you know, isnt that problem more tame now because of the new fuel injection? or do you just mean the gearing? if so, do most ppl change sprockets to go up in teeth or go down? i know up for the track..
Primarily because of first gear(very tall in comparison). The fuel injection problems are easily solved with a Powercommander which is one of the first things most FI bike owners add. That tall first gear is a real pain in close city traffic and the sprocket changes don't help very much.

Now if you want to cruise through traffic once to get to the cool hangout so the chicks can dig you then it won't be a problem... well at least not until she asks for a rider then she will likely go riding on some dork's GSXR with that plush pansy seat on the back of those. :D The passenger seat on the RC looks stupid plus is really small and hard. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Re: Re: new atomization

RCjohn said:

Now if you want to cruise through traffic once to get to the cool hangout so the chicks can dig you then it won't be a problem... well at least not until she asks for a rider then she will likely go riding on some dork's GSXR with that plush pansy seat on the back of those. :D The passenger seat on the RC looks stupid plus is really small and hard. :rolleyes:
yeah, if i got an rc, i dotn plan to ride anyone all the time, juss my girl, here and there.. not much at all, so long as there is a piece o cardboard there :D, but yeah, that seat out back of the 51 is rather unsuperbikelike..:rolleyes: when i think of that bike... man......

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a RC51 w/ the rear seat in. What does it look like? Anyone got pics or know where there are some?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
dtlaine said:
I don't think I've ever seen a RC51 w/ the rear seat in. What does it look like? Anyone got pics or know where there are some?

Thanks.
I have only seen it like three times. Looks very stupid. I have never seen a picture of one with it installed. :barf:

BTW, the one had a cute girl on the back. Her butt looked good even on that ugly seat. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
imagine....

imagine a 10 in by 8 in piece of carboard! bought a 1/3 of an inch thick! :eek: :D covered in black vinyl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts