Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've narrowed it down between the honda cbr250r, kawasaki ninja 250r and the ninja 650r for my first motorcycle. What do you suggest? By the way I am 5'7'' and weigh 150 lbs. I'm not worried about the 650 having "too much power" for a beginner because I think i understand that the bikes have some serious power and I plan on being extremely careful on them so don't veer me away from the 650 for that reason. Thanks.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Whatever feels best. SMaller bikes are easier to throw around but obviously have less power.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Probably a turbo 'busa. You won't outgrow that for at least a year.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Seriously, I agree with kan. Stick with whatever feels the best. Ergonomics can make a big difference as far as how quickly/thoroughly you learn your bike. Most importantly, get the proper gear. You're new to riding, so you will go down. Make it as injury-free as possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i plan on buying the gear. i have about $400 set aside for gear. That is a helmet gloves jacket and pants. Thanks for the replies

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
If I were to do it all over again, I'd only buy gear used. Except the helmet, which you should buy new. The latter is like buying underwear: you don't know where its been or what's been done to it. The rest is less relevant in terms of wear.

Another great part about starting with a 250 is sheer cost. It will be less money up-front, less in insurance, awesome gas mileage (50+ IIRC). And they hold their value very well. Supersports just don't because they're getting totaled all the time.

Anyway, used gear sources: Any major bike forum (gixxer.com, 600rr.net, WERA classifieds, kawiforums.com, sporbike network, and others) as well as locale-specific forums that you'll have to discover with a google.

EDIT: Duh, Craigslist can be good if you're near a larger city. I'm less about Ebay but I HATE Paypal and the way it is run, so its a personal bias.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts