Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on vacation down in Florida for the past week, and while I was there, my laptop (Toshiba) took a giant dump and is DOA. So I'm looking for another one. I mainly use them for surfing the web/spreadsheet stuff, but now I am looking for one that can serve as my main computer for a few months to a year until I can find a suitable PC for my new place.

I do some gaming, especially FSX, LoMac, Battlefield, etc. so graphics and speed are concerns. I'd also like something with a Blueray drive.

So far, the Alienware Area-51 m9750 is about the most affordable one I've found that has relatively high-end performance (I'm looking for something that won't be completely obsolete before it gets delivered).

Anybody have something in particular that you'd recommend? I'd appreciate any input.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Yeah, at that high end you're looking at Alienware, Falcon Northwest, and maybe Dell. I've always been a FN fanboy and I have always hated Dell after they tried to screw me over for ~$10k. But I stopped following who's good and who isn't when Apple started making good products again and I realized I could build my own PCs. As a volunteer in charge of purchasing Toshiba has always been a stellar player in the laptop realm for reliability.

Good luck on the purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, at that high end you're looking at Alienware, Falcon Northwest, and maybe Dell. I've always been a FN fanboy and I have always hated Dell after they tried to screw me over for ~$10k. But I stopped following who's good and who isn't when Apple started making good products again and I realized I could build my own PCs. As a volunteer in charge of purchasing Toshiba has always been a stellar player in the laptop realm for reliability.

Good luck on the purchase.
Thanks for the input, kanwisch. Funny, I don't know that I've ever heard of Falcon Northwest. I've had a Dell desktop, and I use a Dell at work, but I didn't find any of their laptops that I was willing to pay for that would compare to the ones I could get from AW and Gateway.

As far as laptops go, I had a Compaq my first 2 years in college and it suffered from performance degradation after a few years, but it did stand up to quite a bit during its life. Then I got the Toshiba (Satellite P15-470 I think) and it did pretty good for a long time, but it didn't get used as frequently as the previous one. Then during vacation, I started it up one morning and it gave me the "SMART" warning that drive failure was imminent. I could tell it was on its last leg and even as I was doing the backup, its performance worsened severely. I wish I knew what actually caused it, because I've never had a problem with anything else I've gotten from Toshiba (2 TV's, a DVD player, a DVD/VHS player/recorder and an HD-DVD player).

I guess I'll check out FN and see how they stack up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts