Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I've been wanting to get a sportbike for a long time, but I haven't really do anything until a few days ago when I finally went to get my motorcycle permit. I'd like to know where should I post for suggestions on what and where to get a good starter bike and gears. I'm currently in college so I can't spend way too much money (just bought a car last year and spent a little too much money modifying it).

I've looked at the Yamaha YZF600R, Yamaha YZFR6, Suzuski GSX-600R, Kawaski ZX-6R... But I think those bikes might be too much for me as a beginner. I'm not really worrying about falling because I race mountain bike, and my car has stick shift. So I know how to "ride" a bicycle and shift manually already.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
AirKnight said:
I'm not really worrying about falling because I race mountain bike, and my car has stick shift. So I know how to "ride" a bicycle and shift manually already.

Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum AirKnight! Its been said before and Ill say it again, the Kawi. EX500 or the Suzuki SV650 are both really good first time bikes due to their size and relatively cheep fall overs. I've never ridden the zuke, but I rode an EX500 for about a year -as an already experienced rider- and it was still a fun ride and easy to handle.

As far as your statement above, I gotta disagree. You most likely will fall over or at least drop your bike within the first year. Mountain bikes are what? 20 lbs.? ~not much in common with a motorcycle except for the two wheels. Shifting a manual car is not much like shifting a bike either; timing and smoothness are much more important on a bike not to mention you're shifting with your foot and clutching with your hand which is also controlling the bike.

Im not trying to discourage you at all! Just take your time and get used to the bike and dont assume you know how to ride and handle it because you race a bicycle.

Anyway, Welcome to sportbikes!!! and post a couple pictures of whatever bike you decide on! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much will the EX500 or the SV650 run about? I'll most likely be getting used because I can't dish out tons of money right now... What about insurance?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I think the SV650 goes for about $5500 new and I dont know about the EX500, check around your local Trader magazine. As far as insurance, we have discovered that rates vary Greatly depending on alot of factors. The good news is that both of these bikes should be relatively cheap to insure! I dont have a pic of the EX500 (which is a full fared bike) but here is a nice looking SV650 that is on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=570495609&r=0&t=0

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
AirKnight said:
The Kawasaki looks better than the bare Suzuki...
I agree. But the Suzuki will spank the Kawi on performance. The SV650"S" has a half fairing.

Kyle, I'm looking to buy another bike to complement my Hayabusa. Can you tell me what a good bike is and how much it costs? Then, can you post some big pictures of it here? Hurry up too 'cause I can't wait that long! :D

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Rogue_Biker said:

Kyle, I'm looking to buy another bike to complement my Hayabusa. Can you tell me what a good bike is and how much it costs? Then, can you post some big pictures of it here? Hurry up too 'cause I can't wait that long! :D

:rolleyes: :( Just trying to be helpful.... I think you need a Buell Blast to go with the Busa!

:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I learned to ride motorcycles before cars. My Dad had never been on a bike before. When I got my '86 Suzuki SP200, he tried it out. I told him how it worked and all, and I figured he'd have no problem with the concept of the clutch, throttle, etc. I was wrong. He nearly bulldozed through the wall of the house! Nothing happened, but disaster was was looming. Just don't be too confident. Go slowly. Bandit 400's are nice also, if you can find them. I think the last year they made them was '93. And they only started in '91(?). A co-worker of mine is now riding my ex-Bandit 400.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts