1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JBaz said:
thats kind of a cruel statement to say.
I'm not known for my empathy.

I live in an area where we face flash floods frequently (I am known for my aliteration). We have such trouble with stupid people driving into rain swollen washes (or creeks, as they call them back east) that they have enacted a "Stupid motorist" law here in Phoenix. If you have to be rescued from a wash, you have to pay for it. It sorta burns you out on being sorry for people that drive into running water.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Kevlar7R-

My guess is that the girl's mother and the other adult got out of the car first and then the vehicle was subsequently washed away before they could grab the little 4-year-old child.

If they allowed the little girl to get out first and she was washed down a storm drain while the adults were still seated in the vehicle...we would be calling them irresponsible idiots who got their kid killed.

I show very little quarter for irresponsibility, but this sounds like they were a bunch of innocent dimwits who weren't looking to get their child hurt...and then this nightmare bites them in the ass.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think they left the little on purpose, either. I'm pretty sure it took them time to get out and probably took them more time to try to get in a position to take the little girl out. I'm assuming the girl was in a baby's chair? ....or are 4yr olds too big for those.

If the girl wasn't in a baby chair...why didn't she get out???

In either case, I do hope the little girl is okay.

Also, I've had my close calls when going over a flooded road. I can never spot a flooded road. I just do my best to know the road and avoid any flood.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
lots of people do not realize how powerful water really is. In a flash flood. Only 1" of flash flood water could knock you off your feet if your not careful. Only 3" in enough to start pushing heavy shit off the road. I think like 6" is when cars and trucks start to drift away.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi JBaz-

Those are interesting facts. I've been hiking and have dipped my hand in shallow, fast-moving streams and have been amazed at how much "pull" there is with the water.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You should go white water rafting. Thats so much fun! Man I should go do that some time again. Its crazy when you go through 4 or 5 level rappids. I had my raft almost flipped on me once and doing so, one of my friends in the raft got sucked right out of the boat and his helmet broke right off when he hits a large rock in the rapids. He wasn't hurt, but man, just to think if he didn't have a helmet.

Safety first

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
In some states they are pushing a law that if your child is under 6 or 75lbs, I beleive, you are required to have them in a child seat. One of my old teachers that I am good friends with just now let their daughter, who is in 6th grade, ride in a car without a child seat. But with respect to the whole water deal, why would you be driving through flooding areas to start with?

Sepias

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
...why would you be driving through flooding areas to start with?
People are just naive, that's all. They have no idea of the power of water.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Need to note the words "Flash Flood" because flash floods only take minutes to actually start flooding. If it rains very hard and very fast, the water collects so much easily. The soil can not absorb water that fast and this is why we have flash floods.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Even if it is a flash flood though, you've got to notice that you are in an area that flood easily, and if its raining hard there might damn well be a flooded road lol. It just seems logical to me. Of course people might call me nuts for driving around during hurricanes to look at the mobile homes getting demolished, or that I enjoy flying kites in hurricanes as well. Nothing else to do without power:twofinger

Sepias

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In northern Arizona, we have slot canyons. These are extremely narrow canyons formed in the sandstone by flowing water. Some of them are so narrow, they are barely noticeable from the surface, yet you can walk through them down below.

One of these canyons, Antelope Canyon near Lake Powell is a spectaular sight. A few years back, some french tourists were in the canyon with a led tourist group. It was raining 20 miles away, not a cloud in the sky over the canyon. The wall of water came through so fast, that it killed everyone in the party except the guide. The children of the French tourists were in the hotel. They wandered out of their rooms a day later, not speaking a word of English, wondering why their parents never came back.

Now THAT is a tragedy. They didn't drive into running water. They didn't even know it was raining.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts