1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tesi mutates into Vyrus

20 Feb 2002
Pictures: Max Trono, Café Racer magazine

IF you thought Bimota’s jelly-mould-shaped, hub-centre-steered Tesi was an oddity, take a look at this.

It’s called Vyrus. There’s a Forth Bridge-style latticework chassis, an almost complete absence of bodywork and a nose which wouldn’t look out of place in the Alien films.

It’s the work of a small Italian firm called ARP Racestation, which got hold of frames from the exclusive sports bike when it went out of production in 1994.

The firm, which is based in the old Bimota factory in Rimini, Italy, is putting together 100 of them for £18,000, a pop, with a choice of Ducati 900SS or Moto Guzzi V11 motors.

Details: 0039-0541-395-807.

I think it looks great!

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
elo said:
Okay, maybe this should be a trivia question, but can someone explain how that thing steers?
Elo, the basis of this bike is the Bimota Tesi, which was produced from 1984-85 (Tesi 750) and later versions followed (Tesi 1D).
At first the steering was by hydraulic circuit but the feeling it gave was very poor and was replaced later with a simpler system comprising two rods on each side.
To help you understand how a hub steering works isn't easy with words.
Hub steering has been an exercise for designers of motorcycle chassis for many years, the Tesi is just one case of many.
I hope the attached picture will explain it much better than I would. I took it fro Tony Foale's site which is really good to make you understand how this (and other systems) work.
There are some really interesting articles by Tony Foale that you can read here:
http://www.ctv.es/USERS/softtech/motos/Articles/Steer/STEER.htm

Tony Foale is a designer of alternative front systems and his article is great in that he describes the advantages and disadvantages of all the alternative front ends ever made!
It is a very interesting read (I had posted this in Trivia a while ago) and you will also find out where the BMW Telelever and Yamaha GTS 1000 front end came from ;)

Aris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts