Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the Street Fighter/Hooligan project done. (more or less!!)

I took it for a quick "ring seating ride" and can report this to be one fun ride . The handling is an improvement over stock in many ways. It also accelerates very hard indeed. My friend is blown away by his "re-born" ride.

It weighs in at 328 lbs. with 5 litres of gas and makes in the neigbourhood of 100 rear-wheel horseys.

Here are a couple of shots, there are a couple more in the "Exotics" gallery.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
When we did not know better---

--we all road bikes without filters to the carbs. Well that is how Brit & European bikes came.
We had to replace rings constantly, rebores were basically once a yr, & big-ends were gone at 5 to 10 thou miles.
Mind you this was in late 40s to 60s. So in that time we sucked in all the road crap, dust, gravel dust, etc. So life of a bike was short.
Natch the 2-strokes were the ones to wear out the fastest, but in those days a lage capacity 2-stroke was almost nil, bar a Scott 500/600cc liquid cooled twin.
Mind you the early filters were a bit of a joke & often only two deep mesh sceens to stop the rocks from coming in.
Up to you, but thought I would mention the above for at the time 3 of us owned/ran a m/c shop here in Cdn.
Bike looks good though.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
sorry

can't get anything by you guys. The custom intake tracts are the final bit of the project! I had a Bike shop on Vancouver Island from 1978 to 1989 called RAPID Motorcycles.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Ah that takes the worry out of my mind.

Looks so good now. I would want to spray paint the expansion chambers, & headers so they would not show rust.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Ah that takes the worry out of my mind.

Smitty said:
Looks so good now. I would want to spray paint the expansion chambers, & headers so they would not show rust.
They have a hi-temp clear coat on them, We'll see how it lasts.

Good work ! That's a wierd looking bike but I like it. What kind is it anyways?
Suzuki RG500 square four, 2-stroke commonly referred to as a "Gamma".

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
If the CLEAR holds then great for the expansion chambers are an eye-catcher when one realizes all the cuts & welding were done to make them just right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did u find that headlight assembly? Or is it stock. A buddy of mine is doing a streetfighter project w/ a 94'CBR 1000 and that headlight looks like it would work perfectly!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
NIDAN said:
Where did u find that headlight assembly? Or is it stock. A buddy of mine is doing a streetfighter project w/ a 94'CBR 1000 and that headlight looks like it would work perfectly!
The light came out of the mud at a bike wreckers. When I showed it in triumph, dripping with mud to my friend, he looked at me like I was nuts and grumbled when he paid 10 bucks for it!

You can get lights from the "aftermarket" in all shapes and sizes at a reasonable cost. MOTOVAN has them, thats a distributor in the states too I believe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts