Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a nail in the tire. It still holds air, I just check the pressure and its still at 36psi. I filled it up about a week ago so I know it has not leaked. I am being told to just leave it, I don't know how good an idea that is. I figured to either get it patched or pluged, but was not sure, please advised. I rather not replace this tire right now as it still has good tread on it.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Change the tire! That is all that needs to be said. Sure it has good tread on it, but, who knows how safe and smart that is. I have heard strories all the time of people riding on their tires with nails in them. But since you asked spend the $150 or whatever to assure and gaurantee your safety. That is my dos centavos.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Lovely looking 180. I really do not know what to say other then on one bike I had it patched from the inside & it is till holding, but it is NOT a good move.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i would find a nice clear paved place and power brake that rear tire untill it was bald then i would get a new one...my 2 cents...also if you do that get it on video

·
Registered
250 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
i would find a nice clear paved place and power brake that rear tire untill it was bald then i would get a new one...my 2 cents...also if you do that get it on video
Ditto. Thats all its good for. Would you be willing to screw a chick with herpies after sticking a thumbtack through your condom????
Not worth the risk of a blow-out.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Think of it this way. You only have 2 tires, when one goes, you're fu#ked. If it goes when you are riding fast, or around a turn, you're really f#cked.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Pony up the $150 and get a new tire, it's not worth the risk.

:2cents:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did. Thanks guys.
I got the same one as before D208,s . Also have a screw on order for my front fender it is missing I noticed that one day. that was expensive little screw 93 cents. Hopefully no more nails.

I also did about 100 mile or more ride today, on the new tire alone. After leaving Sunrisecycle I took 60 down to VA beach and road the beach road for a bit at the end I came aorund and saw a biker just sitting there. So I came back around again. He was waiting for a freind and then off the ride. I tag along. We went down to NC and then came back up on I think goose neck road or something like that not a bad road but had grave on some of the truns and thats the only dam place it had gravel. And with a brand new tire I didn't want to push what little tallent I have. Is there anything I can clean this new tire with to make sure what ever that stuff on there all off so I can at least not be scared to go around any trun?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
I did. Thanks guys.
I got the same one as before D208,s . Also have a screw on order for my front fender it is missing I noticed that one day. that was expensive little screw 93 cents. Hopefully no more nails.

I also did about 100 mile or more ride today, on the new tire alone. After leaving Sunrisecycle I took 60 down to VA beach and road the beach road for a bit at the end I came aorund and saw a biker just sitting there. So I came back around again. He was waiting for a freind and then off the ride. I tag along. We went down to NC and then came back up on I think goose neck road or something like that not a bad road but had grave on some of the truns and thats the only dam place it had gravel. And with a brand new tire I didn't want to push what little tallent I have. Is there anything I can clean this new tire with to make sure what ever that stuff on there all off so I can at least not be scared to go around any trun?
I've heard it said that after about 50 miles a new tires is sufficiantly scrubbed in. If you have gone 100 miles on it and put any kind of lean angle on it you should be ok I would think. Better safe than sorry though, so ease into things. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have heard that you can use sand paper to scrub of the slick coating. I haven't had to buy a new tire yet so I don't know how effective that is, but if sand paper can wear down aluiminum (when you polish your frame for example) it should help with the tire...my :2cents:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I picked up two pieces of metal in my last set of tires and got it plugged with a patch on the inside, its a double fix for the hole, a plug to fill it and a patch to seal the tire and act as a backup for the plug...had no problems at all with it. Also just got another piece on metal in my brand new rear's tread groove and had it patch/plugged again.

·
Registered
88 Posts
when i bought my 250 a few years ago, i got a nail in the tire the second day i had the bike, and since they were those stupid little tires it took the dealership almost 2 weeks to get the tire in, so i still rode the bike, considering break in period is 35mph, then 52, but i wouldn't want a nail in my tire for any kind of normal riding, only think that tire is good for now is spinning

·
Registered
377 Posts
I picked up a nail bang in the centre of a new Michelin Pilot rear and got it patched. No problems so far.

When they patch/plug a tyre you lose one speed rating so if you consistantly run sort of 150mph + I wouldn't run a patched tyre but if its mainly commuting or twisty stuff where top speed isn't important it's not an issue.

Also the Michelins can be patched no problem but some brands disintegrate internally when perforated and don't repair at all well. So check with the tyre dealer.

:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
"Would you be willing to screw a chick with herpies after sticking a thumbtack through your condom????
Not worth the risk of a blow-out"

Vigis

Now that is funny....lmao

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I just bought a 996 with a brand new Michlen pilot ZRs, Rode it for about 300 miles when I found the rear was flat. [email protected]! Oh well. No second thoughts! I paid the bucks and got another new tire. You're only riding on 2 tires and a blowout at any speed could kill you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts