Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy I'm preston, I'm 18 and live in Texas... I currently dont have a bike right now but I am in the market for one. I joined the forum to see what people think i should get, this will be my first bike, I've been looking at a Suzuki GSXR 1000 and a Yamaha R1... any suggestions on what would be a fit for me. let me know

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

I'd like to be the first to point out that your choices for a first bike are laughable. I mean you no disrespect.

Start small, that's all I got to say.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
...I'm 18...this will be my first bike...GSXR 1000...Yamaha R1...
You're as crazy as that other bunch that came out of Waco.

Tell me, would you learn to fly in an FA-18? No? So, why the f*ck would you think it's acceptable to learn to ride on the motorcycling equivalent???

Read the sticky threads on bikes for beginners. If that doesn't change your mind, I wish you an enjoyable 5 minutes of motorcycling before you total it and kill yourself.

Sorry, but unlike snakesht, I'm sick of being polite to ignorant newb's. "Ignorant" because the total sum of your research into bikes has obviously been about what looks coolest and what's fastest. This is the wake-up call that someone should have given you already. :squid:

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Aww, c'mon cookee. I thought we found the next olson. Don't ruin it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Read the sticky threads on bikes for beginners. If that doesn't change your mind, I wish you an enjoyable 5 minutes of motorcycling before you total it and kill yourself.
Your giving him a whole 5 minutes eh, I don't think it'll take him that long to leave the dealership parking lot or the driveway :laughing:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been around bikes most of my life, i rode my uncles R6 when I was 12, i understand that i should start small, but I wouldnt get something I dont think I could handle

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I've been around bikes most of my life, i rode my uncles R6 when I was 12, i understand that i should start small, but I wouldnt get something I dont think I could handle
Good for you. I bet I could ride a Ducati Desmosedici GP8 just fine as long as I was careful. But what happens when I start to push it a little bit? It'll bite back and teach me a cruel lesson.

If you're going to be tooling around town, you might very well be able to start on a ZX-14 and not kill yourself. But if you're going to use a sportbike to 25% or more of its capability (and nobody really cares about going fast in a strait line) then here's my advice: Start small and learn to get the most out of your bike. If you start big, the bike will get the best of you.

But what do we know? Aside from the fact that the 3 people who have responded probably have a combined riding experience that would have started when you were in diapers.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Forgive me if I am hesitant to believe that. I would hope you're smart enough to do that, but after coming in gung-ho about liter bikes, I can't be too sure.

·
Registered
658 Posts
HEy I'm preston, I'm 18 and live in Texas... I currently dont have a bike right now but I am in the market for one. I joined the forum to see what people think i should get, this will be my first bike, I've been looking at a Suzuki GSXR 1000 and a Yamaha R1... any suggestions on what would be a fit for me. let me know
Look out middle billy goat gruff - it's a troll!

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I remember talking to a dealer in California who said a few years went by where 8 out of every 10 GSXR1000's they sold ended up totalled within the first couple months. Most of them were because the riders were brand new.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Welcome :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts