Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the bike is in the shop for a minor tune-up and mechanical inspection. I already miss it! This weekend I went to pick it up in Texas where the owner was meeting me halfway. The transaction went smoothly and the bike was in excellent condition. I examined it and we tied it down in the back of the truck and headed home. I got home late Saturday night, put the bike inside, and we went out to party. I could not wait for Sunday morning. Sunday I woke up pretty early, checked everything I could check on the bike visually, put on my gear, and headed out for a ride. Here are my thoughts.

To begin, the only other sportbikes I have ridden is a '98 CBR f3 '99 f4 and this bike is completely different. Couple things I have noticed immediately:

First, the ZX7R riding position is pretty damn comfortable, at least for me, - I'm 5'9". The gas tank seems huge at first and does require some adjustment; but by the end of the first day, I would have to say I think it is more comfortable because your legs are in a more natural position sightly outwards.

The back tire is HUGE! That 190 looks really good but it does make for less flickability. The bike itself is rather large making it much more comparable in size to litre bikes than the 600's.

The bike is heavy weighing in at about 448lbs. dry. This is a statistical fact and you do feel it. However, the weight seems to only play a negative role when you are turning slowly. When you are at any constant cruising speed the weight seems to plant the bike in the turn thus making it very stable and confidence inspiring. It did not take me long at all to adjust to it as it just sits into the turn and stays there.

I have never driven a ZX7R stock so I can not make a true comparison. This one has MUZZY full exhaust and Stage 1 jet kit and I have heard that those mods make for serious improvement in HP on the 7's. Anyway, the power delivery is VERY torquey but smooth, making the acceleration feel much faster than the 600's especially down low. The bike is suprisingly faster than I thought it would be and I have not even pushed it hard yet! The most pleasant suprise though, and one of the reasons I bought this bike, is that on the street the power is delivered smoothly and predictably.

All things being said, I was very impressed that the bike was in great condition. It is heavier than I thought it would be but it's not too bad. It is faster than I thought it would be. It corners pretty well but maybe could use a 180 on the back. Its comfy and I really like my new bike. I think it's going to make a great street bike.

P

·
0 Posts
Congrats!

Way to go Joe! Glad to hear that you like it so well; that's what counts most!

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Joe,

Glad you like the bike.

#1 I would (as you probibly already know) suggest going to a 180 rear. It will notice a big difference.

#2 We need to see what we can do about changing your nick. You ain't a Honda boy no more! :)

S

·
0 Posts
Sportbikeworld said:
Joe,

Glad you like the bike.

#1 I would (as you probibly already know) suggest going to a 180 rear. It will notice a big difference.

#2 We need to see what we can do about changing your nick. You ain't a Honda boy no more! :)

Ya how about Posin' Joe ??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Good Choice for motorcycles!!!!!!!

I would definately go with the 180 tire. I have a Dunlop 207 on my ZX-7 and love it. A little slick till it warms up but then it turns into flypaper. Congrats on the bike and you have to post some pics!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest, I did not select the name because of the Honda bike. It was my name on LS1.com and I figured I might as well just use the same one.

I might be willing to go with "Posin' Joe" or "Smokin' Joe Poser" if I could keep the post count.

By the way, how do I post pics?

S

·
0 Posts
Smokin' Joe said:
To be honest, I did not select the name because of the Honda bike. It was my name on LS1.com and I figured I might as well just use the same one.

I might be willing to go with "Posin' Joe" or "Smokin' Joe Poser" if I could keep the post count.

By the way, how do I post pics?
You have to have them on a website, If you don't have this luxury .. Email the pics to me bro , I'll host and post em ... [email protected]

·
Registered
987 Posts
Congratulations, Joe, It does my heart good to see a man find true religion! Yes the ZX7 is heavy, but way back when it was first designed Kaw knew that to have a chassis strong enough for WSB that it would have to be made very stout. Two examples - Suzuki, when they first came out with the current generation of GSXR750 went for low mass. The bike was unbeatable in Supersport racing, but didn't have what it needed to be competitive in WSB. And Honda, whose RC51 is heavy compared to their street-based offerings, but is untouchable, it seems, in any racing venue.
I'm glad that Kaw opts for strength where it counts, because out in the real world the roads have potholes, and that strength ensures that your bike will last as long as you take care of it.
If you want quicker steering, you can go wth a thinner rear tire, you can slide the forks up ~10mm in the clamps, or you can go with a lower-profile front tire 120/60 instead of 120/70. Enjoy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
CONGRATS!

I've always loved the look of the 7R's.. that mean ass looking front end is awesome. I was deciding on a 7R or my Y2k 6R.. Playing with the bikes I did notice the big weight difference.. Im not a big guy and wanted a lighter bike to throw around.. so I ended up with the 377lbs ZX-6R. Congrats again on the new ZX..!!

Good luck with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts