Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically my rear brakes went out tonight and I adjusted it as much as i could and it grabs a little but when I'm riding it's not enough to count. what should i check first/do first? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
526 Posts
brakes

make model how you ride? I had my rear brakes go out before and basically the pads broke and crumbled. never had a problem came to a stop and bam no rear brakes. but it could be master cyclinder etc...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think they are hydraulic though....there is brake fluid in the little plastic box above the brake lines...or atleast I thought this was brake fluid.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
At a time like this one can forget to put said info down. Okay with that make & model to yr the bike is with hydraulic brake pads front & rear.

You might be a bit heavy on the rear brake & so the pads on the rear have gone.

If you are heavy on the rear brake pedal then check the rear tyre & if it has some flat spots that is a sign of hitting the rear harder then needed. Which could be a fault of the rear brake pedal is set up a bit high, so when hitting the brakes you are accidently pressing the rear brake pedal.

Mind you if it is a 'used' bike then good chance the prior owner(s) were rear brake end artists as we use to call them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can push the lever all the way down and it brakes a little just not much. It's also adjusted as much as i can get it. I think i am gonna bleed my brake line and see if that fixes it. I was just wondering if anyone else has delt with this and bleeding the brake line has fixed it for them. There are no signs of leaking at all.

--- also my pads are still good so replacing the pads won't help me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i feel like an idiot saying this but i adjusted them the wrong way first then realized it and adjusted the other way. The outcome was just a very minor change....thx for the help. guess i will start workin on it this week

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Bleed them. '98 bike? Get a new set of pads. Do a search on this board for 'bleeding brakes'. I miss hwy 65 leaving out of Gurley heading thru Paint Rock into Tennessee. 'Bout the best piece of road I've ever ridden......110 between Fayetteville & Ardmore is pretty nice too....Going out 565 to Greenbriar Rd & heading south is a nice 'quick fix'...PS if you don't have a manual, get one. It'll pay for itself real quick..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whoa...didn't expect you to name off all those places...lol Thanks for the input though I do have a manual and hopefully i will be able to bleed the brakes this weekend. Thats cool you know the area!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Know it & love it! The people, the beautiful surroundings, the low cost of living, the empty roads..... I did some work for NASA in Huntsville. That area is :thumb: Got my 12 @ Cycles Unlimited out in Decatur. Got a Jetski and used to put it in the river in Triana, and go up past Decatur or down to Guntersville. Good times. Brakes are easy, get a can of brake cleaner and an old toothbrush, and really clean the rod the pads ride on, and the pistons around where they go into their bores. They'll feel brand new!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts