Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I rant rarely, but my drive in this morning drove me to type this.

I'm cruising along (in my cage) just heading to work and there are a large number of bikes out this morning...and here's what I saw.

4 Goldwings - All riders wearing shorts and T-shirts, 0 Helmets, 0 Gloves
3 Cruisers - 2 Jean's and T, 1 Shorts and T, 0 Helmets, 0 Gloves
5 Sportbikes - 5 Jeans, 4 T's, 1 Jacket, All Gloves, All Helmets

So the logical deduction is that sportbike riders seem to have more brains than the others.....WRONG!!!!

Why is it that the general public passes a blind eye to a 60 year old guy cruising along on his Wing with Shorts, T and shades, but when a guy/gal on a sportbike goes by in full/mostly full gear they rant and rant about how dangerous we are?

The reality is (to me as an observation here in Phoenix) That sportbike riders are 100% more inclined to wear a lid than any other type of rider, we're about 50% more inclined to wear a minimum jacket and gloves, 75% more inclined to wear at least jeans and decent boots...Cruisers are slightly less protective and Wings are the least concerned about their safety?

What I usually get if I pull up next to a wing or hardley is a grunt (if that), when really I should be the one sitting there shaking my head because this a-hole refuses to wear any gear, and when he wrecks he ends up affecting my insurance rates and my general reputation (because all moto accidents get lumped together).

I recognize its hot here, and I can understand slacking up on the jacket, but how much of a moron do you have to be to hop on a bike with sneakers and shorts on with no lid?

It just dumbfounds me that they give licenses to these people...and that they continue to live while die hard riders (like most of us) suffer the true tragic accident when a cage slides out in front of us, or some other circumstance arises that we can't prevent....

Not that there is much we can do about it, other than protect our own reputation by promoting things like "The Pace", Proper Gear, good riding techniques and education. Because the truth to the public is "That guy on that Crotch Rocket is way more dangerous than that fat slob plopped on that Wing" (nothing personal Wing riders).

Just my rant....:D
Have a nice day

·
Registered
279 Posts
damn straight

i agree. i've been riding for 5 years and have only been on a bike twice without the bucket. everytime i'm at a light and somebody pulls up next to me without a lid i ask 'em why. you'd be amazed what people will try and pass off as logic. bottom line no one is allowed to ride with my group without buckets. nothing personal, but if i don't get to know you then i don't have to go to your funeral either. yea it may be your life and your bike but like red said it affects my insurance rates everytime the paramedics have to scrape your ass off the sidewalk. i know its hot in the southwest in the summer but nobody said riding a bike was going to be easy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry for hte length

I agree!!! Unfortunately I used to be one of those people that would ride without a jacket in the summer (it gets damn hot and stickey in GA).

But, one day on the way to work I low sided my bike becasue I accidentally locked up the front tire during a panic stop. You know trunk suddenly stops to see some thing on the shoulder and me being a rookie rider did not reailze that I was following to close. I was going less that 20 Mph when the bike finally decided to lay down and go to sleep with me still on it. I was not seriously hurt (I always wore my helmet just no jacket or gloves) but, I hated those strawberries and realized form then that I could have been very messed up.

I learned my lesson and traded my 'cool looking' full leather jacket for a Teknic textile one and have always wore while riding ever since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha, Hey bro! (Congo_Grey) :p

There are a LOT of cruisers here at VA beach, and I will say that none of them wear jackets or gloves.

In fact very few sports bikes wear very much as well (from what I have noticed). I have been riding by myself because I don't care to ride with people who don't at least wear a Jacket and gloves (helmet is law).

I always wear Leather Jacket, Gloves, Helm, and these big ass boots that make me feel like a dork. :rolleyes:

Rather sweat a bucket then bleed a bucket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i dont know about arizona but i have seen 2 women leave a HD shop wearing nothing but shorts and bikini top in florida.

·
Registered
517 Posts
bs7206 said:
i dont know about arizona but i have seen 2 women leave a HD shop wearing nothing but shorts and bikini top in florida.
God bless 'em! :D

I just went home for my 10 year reunion. It was very weird seeing folks ride around without helmets, as WA is a helmet law state.

Most of the bikers were cruiser/HD types, and I noticed more of them without helmets than the sportbike guys, though the sportbikers held their own in the "deficiently dressed" category.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think the deal is that most of the cruiser and touring bike riders that you see dressed that way can be grouped into 2 categories.

1. The middle aged guy that just now can afford to get a bike, or is going through a midlife crisis, so he goes out and buys a Goldwing or a Vulcan or Intruder, VTX, whatever. He almost invariable refuses to take the MSF course, because "He knows how to ride, and he really doesn't ride enough for anything to happen to him." He doesn't wear protective gear because, it costs too much, it's uncomfortable and he doesn't ride much anyway. He is scary.

2. The "Harley rider". This guy can be just about anybody, but a very large percentage of the are White Collar Executive types that like to break out of the mold and act like the hooligan 1 percenter on the weekends. These guys are posers. They have something to prove and wearing protective gear isn't "macho." They are into the Harley acccessories.

Many of both categories have been riding less than a year and will put less that 1500 miles on their bikes in a year. A high percentage of them will turn into foamy pink streaks on the pavement before the year is up.

I ride a Goldwing on long trips and occasionally use it to commute to work. I have been riding for 32 years now, though. I won't ride anything without the appropriate riding gear. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I went on a cruise through the mountains for a Saturday on the Goldwing. We got behnd another Goldwing for about 4 or 5 miles. I was honestly afraid to pass the guy, because he was so shakey, that I thought he would freak out if I did and crash into me or something. He was also riding two up with his wife/girlfriend on the back. The were both in shorts, sandals and T-shirts. They were wearing helmets because it is required in Georgia. He was on the brakes all the way through EVERY corner. I was sure that he was going to crash at any time, but somehow, he didn't.

In this area, we definitely have our share of the squids on sportbikes too, though. I see 'em all the time hangin' off the seat in corners, wheelying in traffic, burnouts in parking lots...all in shorts and t-shirts. You would think that if you have ridden a sportbike for more than two weeks, you would have scared the bejeezus out of yourself enough times to at least convince you to wear the right gear.

·
Registered
122 Posts
IMO i think that the general public thinks...

that since they have been cut off or seen someone that has been cut off they assume that all riders drive like this. This puts a stigma on sportbike riders. Pulling off a wheelie, burning out or doing an endo wil just re-enforce there opinions of us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I bought my bike, a 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, the guys where I work all said those things will kill you. They all have Harleys. I'm wearing a helmet, jacket, gloves and all I see them wearing are their illegal skull caps. They say the legal one are too big. Who's the one thats gonna get killed when they lay down their bike and rap their head on the ground?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wonder if a lot of it is psychological, I mean sport bike riders ride with our heads sticking out front and a cruiser rider has his feet sticking out front. Maybe they feel like their heads aren't gonna hit the ground if they fall off???

Just this weekend a harley rider and his wife/gf were both killed by a cage plowing into them at an intersection. Massive head injuries....No helmets....go figure.

Later,
Eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in MA where the helmet law is in full effect...
I think it's necessary cause i'd see a lot of the same stuff you are seeing in your areas...

The helmet thing is just stupid....
You only have one head, USE IT OR LOSE IT!!!!!

How many times have you seen a guy wearing flip-flops on a Harley?
Me, TOO MANY TIMES!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not to knock anyone, but wearing pants (like cargo or dockers) and a t-shirt isn't going to make much difference at any speed. I know mentally it seems bad to be topless and in shorts, but anything less then cordura or leather really isn't going to do much in regards to saving your skin. Here's a test: Put on some cargo pants and a t-shirt. Run across your living room at top speed and slide on your knees or stomach. I bet you tear a whole in your clothes. At most your maybe running 7-9mph. Think about it.

Gloves is another thing. You're going to put your hands down if you go, it's instinctive. I know MN isn't in the AZ zone of heat, but it does get to 100 with 100% humidity and you'll still see me sweating my ass off in helmet, jacket, and gloves. Besides, it gives me a reason to shower more often :D

If it's to hot out for leather then you'll see me in my car with the AC cranked!!

Ride safe,
Karl

P.S. If you keep it over 100mph the breeze helps a lot to keep you cool :D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mongrel Racing said:
Hey I use the high quality "No Fear" riding gear. You know the canvas high-tops, cool shorts, raged T, shades, fingerless gloves, and the hat on backwards (wouldn't want it to blow off). I then strap my helmet to my bike because that is just oh so cool.
Somehow I just can't picture you out on the track like that :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Oh well.....

It is a sad, but true, fact that 50% of the population graduated from school in the bottom half of their class.....

With this in mind is it any wonder that there are so many just plain stupid people in the world? And yes, lots of stupid people ride bikes. And they will come up with all kinds of flawed logic to justify the stupid things they do.

I gave up trying to gently educate stupid riders long ago. Ya may as well talk to the commode. At least the commode gives a practical response when ya jerk it's chain.

A little story to help put things into perspective:

Old dog and young pup go for a walk.
Old dog finds a half empty can of beans and eats the beans.
They walk further.
Old dog finds a girl dog in heat and screws her.
They walk further.
Old dog finds a fire hydrant and urinates on it.
At the end of the walk the old dog asks the young pup what he learned.
Young pup said: "If ya can't eat it or screw it.... p*ss on it."

Ya can't change stupid people sooooooooooooo..........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Flip Flops!!!!

First, GaBandit12, you need to lend me one of those bikes! You've got too many darn bikes and not enough bodies to ride them!

Second, I get to see this sort of stupidity on a daily basis. Their excuses?

1. "It's too hot for gear man!" Tell you what, when you go down and (if you are lucky) get the worst case of road rash the medical community has ever seen and it burns like a beeyatch, then tell me about hot. Hot weather does not excuse carelessness with ones safety.

2. "I am twenty-two, six foot seven, and invincible." Wow, hotshot, you are zero for two now. Try and say that when the CHP is scraping what is left of you off the road.

3. "I drive a Harley." And, so? You think you are too cool to wear protection? If you think that then your parents should of using protection before they went for the ride that made you....

Can I just say one thing? It pissed me off when I see a Harley ride by with a guy fully outfitted in leather jacket/chaps/helmet and they have some chick on the back in a leather bra and shorts! If he cared about her...and not what she represented he would make sure she was protected. *shakes head*

*gets off her soapbox*

signing off.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Re: Flip Flops!!!!

MissSquidly said:
Can I just say one thing? It pissed me off when I see a Harley ride by with a guy fully outfitted in leather jacket/chaps/helmet and they have some chick on the back in a leather bra and shorts!
I agree but, why give him all the blame?
As he stands there putting all this gear on and she waits wearing a bra and shorts, should it not occur to her that something is wrong? See Bikenuts previous statement about the bottom 50%. I wonder what would happen if people would think for themselves.

·
Registered
33 Posts
funksouljon

I agree with you funksouljon, and I didn't mean it to sound like her safety was soley his responsiblity. Rather, I meant that some guys actually WANT their chicks to be all hangin' out and whatnot. (Too look like more of a manly man in front of their friends).

People that dress with out protection are idiots. Man, they are idiots times five. If idiots were dimes, they's be a quarter!

So...yeah. Wear your leathers.

signing off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts