Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally pulled the trigger on a new bike. I went with the 12r for the sher speed, since twisties are few and far between here. I put a 100 miles on her this weekend. I can't wait until I am out of the break in period! Sorry for the brochure photo, but I don't have any pics yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Slaps. I really like it. I wasn't sure if I wanted such a big bike at first, but I am glad I did it. Its a whole new world than my R6!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nice bike, congrats! Whats the break in period of the 12?

This 1000 mile thing on my 636 is killing me!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mines a 1k too. The good thing is that it is allowing me to get use to the bike for a while before I am able to open it up. I put 100miles on it Saturday. This is going to take forever.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wish I saved the article, but I read one that said the break-in period is useless, and can do more harm. Just to ride it out from the beginning.

I have no technical input on that kind of thing, but I would probably wouldn't ride a new bike any differently.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen the article too. It makes since, but I am scared of voiding my warranty. With my luck, they will have a little black box on that thing ratting me out. With all the R&D they put into these things, you would think that the manufactures would know what works the best on their products. I don't think there is one manufacturer that says, go run it hard for break in.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Supposedly the manufacturers care enough about returning buisness to ask you to slow down for the first 1000 miles. The only thing the little black box records is how many times the rev limiter hit. My dealer also informed me that the warranty covers everythiung except for bent valves, and that included things like busted fork seals.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

The important thing to remember is to VARY the engine speed, VARY which gear the bike is in, VARY the load, and avoid "lugging" the bike in high gear. Slowing the motorcycle using engine compression also assists with the break-in process.

In other words, avoid the temptation of heading out to the highway to ride 500 miles in one direction and riding 500 miles home in the opposite...all in the same gear. Mix it up! This can all be accomplished while remaining within the factory-advised rev restrictions should you follow the manual to the letter. Enjoy!

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
423 Posts
Are there any negative effects to going over the factory reccomended rev limits by say 1000 - 2000 RPM?

The factory wants me to stay at 4000 or below for 500 miles, then at or below 6000 till 1000 miles.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
None that I know off. both my bikes were hitting the limiter before they hit 50 miles

·
Registered
746 Posts
It's hard to go by the articles. They don't give you any RPM range, and they are not saying hit the rev limiter. "Running it hard" to me is fast acceliration and deacceliration.

I was told to keep it under 6k for 300miles and under 9k until 600miles, then change the oil and your good. I changed the oil at 113 and go out in the country and quickly go to 7k-ish and then off the throttle till 4 or 5k throughout the gears. That does put you to around 120mph in 6th so not everyone can do this.

So I'm kind of taking both sides advice and keeping within my limits I set.

I would recommend changing the oil sooner. Mine was pretty dark for only 113 miles.

-M-

·
Registered
27 Posts
Break-in is such a short period. Why not just be nice to your bike until you change the oil a copy of times? Every time I read these threads, it makes me want to never buy a used bike.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
gorgeous... gotta share some pics when you get her home...

man I'm missin the warm weather even more now... this site is like rubbin salt in a wound LOL....

E.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've put on 50 miles the factory way before I read this site and was convinced that this way works. I tried to e-mail the guy to see if I could do it his way still but have not recieved a response yet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
DreamRyder said:
gorgeous... gotta share some pics when you get her home...

man I'm missin the warm weather even more now... this site is like rubbin salt in a wound LOL....

E.
What the hell are you talking about . . . at least you aren't up in the frozen tundra of Houghton :(

Yeah that is one sweet bike. I was downstate last week and stopped at every bike shop I could to look at the new models. Can't wait until July when the snow melts :finger:

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Thermide said:
What the hell are you talking about . . . at least you aren't up in the frozen tundra of Houghton :(

Yeah that is one sweet bike. I was downstate last week and stopped at every bike shop I could to look at the new models. Can't wait until July when the snow melts :finger:
yeah well I would have rather spent the winter up yonder instead of in the Thumb at least it was decent for snowmobilin for ya'll :(

E.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts