Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After selling my 600RR racebike...Just got my new R6 ready for Daytona!

Arata Full Ti System
PC III With Dan Kyle Map
Ohlins SS Valving (Rebound & Comp.)
Traxxion Springs
Penske Triple Adj. Shock
NRC Covers
Voltar Moto Rearsets
Vortex Clip-Ons
DID X Ring 520 Conv. With Vortex Sprockets
Hotbodies Bodywork / PPG Paint
SS Lines / Performance Friction Pads / Motul Fluid
Scotts Damper
Dynojet Quickshifter

See ya,

Mark Z.
AMA #196
FUSA #96
CCS #196
WERA #196

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hotbodies...

Not the best...BUT worth it for $450 shipped with dzus fasteners...That's the racer program...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Guess the obvious question is:

Why did you sell your 600RR for an R6??

Like them both by the way.
Racing an R6 myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Major set-up probs with the Honda...

Never had it right...A couple of needless crashes (have no idea why) didn't help matters (or the confidence) either!

I tested the Yam two weeks ago @ Jennings...AWESOME! Tons of mid range the Honda didn't have also...

We'll see next week at Daytona!

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Makes sence,

Noticed you have lowered the front end quite a lot. Why is that? Having trouble keeping the front end down? :D

Would expect it adversely affects the bike's stability under braking...:rolleyes:

Did you ever try the bike at the track with stock suspension? Just as a comparison to how much difference the suspension mods made?
Am just now prepping my own bike for this race season, so looking for any and all input... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually they are at the stock height...The clip-ons are under the top triple tree...

I never ran on the stock suspension...No comparison to make...I also have the Ohlins Supersport set-up in the forks...Seem to work GREAT...So far...

·
Registered
627 Posts
zracer196 said:
Actually they are at the stock height...The clip-ons are under the top triple tree...

Now this is interesting....is there some advantage to this kind of set up? I like the idea of a more forward leaning aggressive position on the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Most aftermarket "universal" clip-ons almost have to mount underneath the top triple...You would'nt have been able to tighten two of the pinch bolts on the clip-ons due to the recess in the 03-04' R6 top triple...

It now feels more like my 03' 600RR Honda...I like to be lower as well...I think some of the Factory Yam's run theirs underneath also...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A better example is Scott Greenwood (FUSA champ 2003) and Jeff Wood (runner up FUSA to Scott)...

They changed from the RR to the R6 at the middle of last year...Both won almost EVERYTHING from then on...Actually, anyone else who won a race was also on an R6. But they CHANGED bikes and WON.

Also the Yamahas finished better than the Hondas in AMA SS last year (Hacking won the title)...Honda pulled out of SS this year in AMA...

There's got to be a reason...So I am sure that I am not the only won who likes the Yam better.

I am a HONDA fan from way back (won 7 CCS titles in 96-97 on the F3)...BUT the Yamaha is a bit better. I buy which is the best bike...

Just dynoed the Yam today...Will post results later...In a nutshell...The Yam makes more power EVERYWHERE...Even on top. Much more mid range. And is LIGHTER.

I dynoed at Full Spectrum (Hooters)...They have an EDDY current dyno. Very consistent due to using an electric BRAKE system. My Yam made 4 more peak HP and more HP everywhere in the range. VERY HAPPY TODAY!:) I will post the sheets later...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
zracer196 said:
A better example is Scott Greenwood (FUSA champ 2003) and Jeff Wood (runner up FUSA to Scott)...

They changed from the RR to the R6 at the middle of last year...Both won almost EVERYTHING from then on...Actually, anyone else who won a race was also on an R6. But they CHANGED bikes and WON.

Also the Yamahas finished better than the Hondas in AMA SS last year (Hacking won the title)...Honda pulled out of SS this year in AMA...

There's got to be a reason...So I am sure that I am not the only won who likes the Yam better.

I am a HONDA fan from way back (won 7 CCS titles in 96-97 on the F3)...BUT the Yamaha is a bit better. I buy which is the best bike...

Just dynoed the Yam today...Will post results later...In a nutshell...The Yam makes more power EVERYWHERE...Even on top. Much more mid range. And is LIGHTER.

I dynoed at Full Spectrum (Hooters)...They have an EDDY current dyno. Very consistent due to using an electric BRAKE system. My Yam made 4 more peak HP and more HP everywhere in the range. VERY HAPPY TODAY!:) I will post the sheets later...
Thanks for the explanation. Let's hope that Honda fixes whatever the problem(s) may be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dyno Runs...

These are my dyno runs...The Honda run was last year...The R6 run was today. They were run on the same dyno...A Factory Eddy Current. Very precise / constant. The Factory Dyno reads lower than a Dynojet Dyno...Dick Suarez (Full Spectrum Racing - Hooters Tuner) says 15% low...Don't know if I believe that...BUT my R6 is STRONG! He had a basline R6 (stock like mine with a Graves exhaust) that made 94 HP...Mine made 102! My Honda which was strong made 98...The YAM was stronger EVERYWHERE...Plus lighter...No wonder why I thought it was MUCH better of the corners!

Very happy and looking forward to Daytona!

I will dyno on the Formula USA dynojet dyno there as well...Should be at least 110 HP on the dynojet...

Mark Z.
AMA #196
FUSA #96
CCS #196
WERA #196

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
Very nice,
did you have the dyno results from the dynojet at Daytona?
Would be interesting to check against my own bike running in the heat and humidity in Malaysia/Singapore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well this year @ Daytona...FUSA changed official race dynos to Factory (from Dynojet)...Mine made 98.2 on their Factory dyno...The rules in the class are 115 HP on the Dynojet dyno. The officials said the Factory was 15% low...SO 100 HP is the limit in FUSA with the Factory dyno now...Mine translates to 112 on a Dynojet dyno...(98.2 + 15%)...PRETTY STRONG...I was very happy!

Take care,

Mark Z.
AMA #196
FUSA #96
CCS #196
WERA #196

1 - 20 of 21 Posts