Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted here in a while; I've been deployed, busy with kids, such and such.

My wife's out of town this week so I decided to head out to Yosemite yesterday. It turned into an 11 hour ride with short breaks for rest! That's the longest I've been on either of my two bikes (used to have a Z750S, it's not sold here anymore, it was a one year deal for Kawi). Man, by the end of it, I could barely hold myself up on the tank. I almost had to crawl to my door. It was all pretty fun except for the last two hours. Then it just got miserable.

But Yosemite was worth it, some very nice roads on 120 heading out there from the Bay area.

What's the longest ride you all have tried on a sportbike?

Oh yeah, it was on an 07 GSXR750.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been out more than once on 6-7 hour trips to the somewhat-local twisties and country lands with a few breaks for food and gas. Always came home feelin' alright; back, legs, and clutch hand were a little sore but that's actually good.

I heard about energy drinks giving people a spike and decided to try one today when I went out riding. I chugged a 16oz something or other loaded with caffeine and 30 other things before I went out but it did exactly nothing. I was seemingly pretty focused, though. Maybe I should bring a tank bag of energy drinks on my long trips so I don't lowside on hour 7 again?

·
Registered
307 Posts
With temps from 80-90F with almost as much humidity you sometimes can't pee enough. When I took my MSF course in the middle of one hot, spider-infested parking lot an instructor pointed to a port-a-loo and said "If you aren't using this, you aren't drinking enough".

·
Registered
369 Posts
Vacaville is a nice launching spot for lots of great Northern California riding areas. I tend to do most of my long, fun rides up the coast on the PCH, and back through Clearlake. Yosemite is fun, except that traffic can be slow in the Summer.

·
Registered
227 Posts
One member is on an 11 hour ride right now on a zx-11 i think
That was me! except it was a f3 raichu ...jeez.
:rolleyes: ;)

I just did a 14 hour ride back home this weekend. Pretty killer but man was it a blast. Oh and I put 1200+ miles on my bike just this last weekend. :p

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In decent riding weather be it on any of the three sportbikes I will clock from 5 to 8+ hrs around 4 to 5 days a week. I feel it is the 5 to 6 to 7 hrs of riding that make 8 or 8+ to not be such a toll on this old body. Note all of these are up here in the Cdn Rockie Mtn roads that can be twisty up down to lane to three lane to four lane roads. Preference is for two-lane.

Usually I have some restaurant in a small town that accepts me where I can stop off for brunch being a muffin & a few mugs of coffee plus my bike will be outside of said restaurant & all sort of guarding it---the advantages of using small towns.

Always a cool bottle of water, a roll of toilet paper--well 1/3 of it in plastic container in case my timing is out of order.

I start off early in the morning so it is a bit cool & also not to much traffic, but on the way home the gear I am wearing will be to warm, but then I open up the zippers & such. No real toll on this old body, but feel the 5 or 7 hr runs are more to my liking though I always stop to stretch to take a break & the half-way break is at the restaurant.

I do not do longer then 8+ hr runs that is for sure.

Lastly about the ONLY time I might putter around town is to pay the bank, pick up some medication from a drugstore, visit my PO box, possibly visit a dentist or my GP Doctor. So in other words I do not putter around town as my main riding. For groceries I use my cage & have a list I have already written out & hope I take it with me or I am guessing & will forget something like 4 L of milk & have to go back again for some I forgot.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, Vacaville's a great staging point for many NorCal rides. I would really like to try the PCH through Clearlake route, I've been up to clearlake once, but didnt have time to explore it.

I don't know how many miles the 11 hour ride was, I made a lot of stops.

Anyone in the Northern Bay area up for doing a PCH (north of SF) ride this weekend? I know this isn't a forum that's designed to set up group rides since it is not local, but I know there are a few people out there who live in the bay area. Anyway, I'll be going on Saturday, if anyone is interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts