Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened yesterday, Sunday, at The Streets of Willow..great day, temps were warm in the afternoon...sunny and NO wind..:D
Anywho, here's a couple of pic's...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I bet coming out of the corner, the order was reversed. :p

J/K. That's some cool stuff, I noticed you have your head tilt the farthest and looking well ahead. And in front of the more powerful bikes, which I think is a ZX-6R and RC51 at the back. And not sure if the blue gixxer is a 600 or 1000.

Are you in the powerband or near it?

Very good shots.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Z_Fanatic said:
I bet coming out of the corner, the order was reversed. :p

J/K. That's some cool stuff, I noticed you have your head tilt the farthest and looking well ahead. And in front of the more powerful bikes, which I think is a ZX-6R and RC51 at the back. And not sure if the blue gixxer is a 600 or 1000.

Are you in the powerband or near it?

Very good shots.:thumb:
The gixxer #53 is a 1k...right after that turn is the front straight..and yes, they went by me...:crying: , but...once we get into the tight stuff, I catch back up, sometimes I'm able to pass some of em..although Dan, on the green Kawi, is a good racer, and pretty fast, he also does on track vids for people, and races with WSMC..at Willow Springs..

As for being in the powerband...I should be, I'm rolling on the gas and prolly at about 9k rpm's....just a guess, as I don't look at my tach.

Oh, as far as the looking through the turn, those guys were checkin out my new custom leathers...:D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Oh man, I get brownie points for getting some of the stuff right. :D

By the intensity, I figured you'd be somewhere in 11-12K with a higher revline on the gixxer. I was like whoa, supreme throttle control. I tried going above 9K entering a turn, freaked me out being leaned over and everything happening so fast, thought of highside on a residential road wasn't appealing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice pics:thumb:

I've seriously got a jones going on to get back on the track. I just did my 12th day last month with The Track Club and I'm thinking about trying another club that uses Willow Springs as their home track. I don't think I can wait till Feb. for some more fun.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crazyclimbr said:
Nice pics:thumb:

I've seriously got a jones going on to get back on the track. I just did my 12th day last month with The Track Club and I'm thinking about trying another club that uses Willow Springs as their home track. I don't think I can wait till Feb. for some more fun.
Cool...Mark runs a great track day...

You must be talkin bout Track Daz...aye..?:D

I'm skipping Jan..for riding...gota save some $$$ to get new goodies fo the bike..:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Z_Fanatic said:
Oh man, I get brownie points for getting some of the stuff right. :D

By the intensity, I figured you'd be somewhere in 11-12K with a higher revline on the gixxer. I was like whoa, supreme throttle control. I tried going above 9K entering a turn, freaked me out being leaned over and everything happening so fast, thought of highside on a residential road wasn't appealing.

You look at your tach going into turns..? :confused:

Don't worry bout the rpm's...there's other things to look at..:p :D

Once again, I'm just guessing as to the rpm's I'm at..Once I'm tipped over, I'm back on the gas...roll off when entering a turn, no reason to be on the gas at that point..;)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
"Fun" can be defined in several ways. That's the graphic.:thumb: :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome freakin' leathers!

I think I'm getting a set for Christmas, and going to schedule both Gap runs and a track day in the early spring.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Hammer 4 said:
You look at your tach going into turns..? :confused:

Don't worry bout the rpm's...there's other things to look at..:p :D

Once again, I'm just guessing as to the rpm's I'm at..Once I'm tipped over, I'm back on the gas...roll off when entering a turn, no reason to be on the gas at that point..;)
I've done a few non-ideal things while cornering. Once I entered a 90 degree right turn with good lean, while the bike was in turn, I took my left hand off, and I turned my head left. I saw a chic in a BMW waiting at the light checking me/bike turn. I should've signaled "CALL ME". :D

Btw, that's what I was getting at I guess, once you're back on the throttle during lean, are you keeping the throttle neutral or slowly accelerating or accelerating fast? I just keep it rolling slowly, but I've seen guys being at 10K and ringing it out and by the time the bike is exiting, they're already upshifting.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:

Btw, that's what I was getting at I guess, once you're back on the throttle during lean, are you keeping the throttle neutral or slowly accelerating or accelerating fast? I just keep it rolling slowly, but I've seen guys being at 10K and ringing it out and by the time the bike is exiting, they're already upshifting.
Ramp up on the gas as you are coming out. Use only enough throttle to keep from engine braking during the apex, then increase throttle as you bring the bike back up. By the time the bike is out of extreme lean (and into what I refer to as moderate lean, when you can stop hanging off, and put your butt back in the sit) you can go WOT. But if you give it too much gas to soon.. well.. just watch out.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, once you tip it in, you should get back on the gas asap...slowly roll on the gas...until you get to the point where you can start your drive out, then smack it...:D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks, yeah, it seems right, just need to be able to read traction better. Suspension on Honda is soft, so hard to tell what the rear is doing at times.

I guess I do have one problem though, when entering 90 degree corner, such as right hand turns, I don't open the throttle asap. Rather wait, and the bike feels rather tipsy while leaning. I guess my fear is if get on the throttle, I may run wide. Or once when I did open it quickly, and ended tipping it too much, and the throttle made me steer too much to the right, my front tire ended up in the drain, I swerved quickly before the rear caught on.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Z_Fanatic said:
Thanks, yeah, it seems right, just need to be able to read traction better. Suspension on Honda is soft, so hard to tell what the rear is doing at times.

I guess I do have one problem though, when entering 90 degree corner, such as right hand turns, I don't open the throttle asap. Rather wait, and the bike feels rather tipsy while leaning. I guess my fear is if get on the throttle, I may run wide. Or once when I did open it quickly, and ended tipping it too much, and the throttle made me steer too much to the right, my front tire ended up in the drain, I swerved quickly before the rear caught on.

In tight turns, you want to roll on the gas asap..it you need to wait a few seconds, that fine...sounds to me like you turn in to early...a late turn point, together with a "Quick Flick " will keep you on the right line...try it at a slower than normal speed, see if that doesn't help...the faster you can tip the bike over, the less lean you need, and you can hold an inside line..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts