Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the CBR 600rr. My last bike was a bandit and i had to pop the clutch real hard to get the front up. whats a good method for a higher powered bike like my rr?

·
Registered
6 Posts
wheeliezzzzz

rev your bike up to about 6000 rpms in 1 st gear.
let off the gas until it drop back to about 4000 rpms
then snap the throttle back open.
make sure u cover the rear brake with your foot! just in case...

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Re: wheeliezzzzz

dougiefresh said:
Until you get used to how the bike responds anyway. Eventually you will be able to get the front end up without clutching or what he described. The bike will want to come up under full acceleration anyway... its just a matter of controlling it and knowing where the ballance point is.

·
Registered
604 Posts
here ya go......

...put the bike in neutral but keep pressure on your rear brake. Have three of your strongest friends lift the front of the bike to the balance point, let off of your brake and then have them run as fast as they can down the street! Coolest wheelie you'll ever pull! Good luck!!!!!:D ;)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Re: here ya go......

endleswavz said:
...put the bike in neutral but keep pressure on your rear brake. Have three of your strongest friends lift the front of the bike to the balance point, let off of your brake and then have them run as fast as they can down the street! Coolest wheelie you'll ever pull! Good luck!!!!!:D ;)
I *heart* this post.

-sedition

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: wheeliezzzzz

dougiefresh said:
I have an 04 600rr, if you try a throttle wheelie at these rpms, youll never get it up. rev it up to about 9000 instead of 6 because this is where the powerband really kicks in on the rr. any higher than that and bike bike will come up even faster.

·
Registered
489 Posts
:rolleyes: again with this close the throttle snap the throttle crap. unpredictable as hell! Why is it that I'm the only one who feels this way? Here is why I, in my humble opinion, feel that pow pow power wheelies are horrible.

So, you're cruisin down the road on your brand new 600rr. in 1st gear your bike can do a comfortable 60 mph. Impressive. So, you decide you want to pull a wheelie. You go bombin down the road, look down at your tach, and see 9grand. Then you let off the throttle real quick and the engine brake makes the bike dip foreward a bit, then you crack it wide open up screams the front end. Great, you just did a wheelie.

Now the shitty part. You're goin 55. When you let off the gas and compressed the forks, you lost your body position. When you cracked the throttle you over anticipated the unpredictable leap of the front wheel and leaned forward while pulling up on the bars. This caused you to cock the bars and throw the bike off at a weird angle. Now you panic cause the bike is careening off to the side of the road. You get so nervous you forget to cover/hit the rear brake... your mind goes blank. You can only think one thing. *shit...* As you lose control of the bike it flips you off the back. Just as it hits the guard rail with you sliding right behind it you think to yourself. "damn... how did that happen?"

Doing power wheelies is a horrible idea. especially for a rider who is still learning. The rebound of the forks is never predictable. The lurch given by letting off the throttle almost always throws off your body position. Cracking the throttle almost always causes you to turn the bars. Best case senerio of this whole endeavor is you let off the throttle as soon as it came up, and the bike dips back down and you end up chasing a 1 ft high wheelie to redline.

Now I know everyone has to start somewhere. And believe me, I sucked when I started this stuff. But bear with me and think outside the box for a second.

1st gear. 20 mph. Knees locked onto the tank. Back straight and head up. Arms locked out. Right foot over the brake. Say to yourself 3 times "hit the brake, hit the brake, hit the brake" as a reminder that it is there should you need it. Reach up with 2 fingers, stay steady on the throttle, slip the clutch, and rengage it quickly. The bike just lurches foreward. No biggy. You know you need more RPM's. So, you do it again. 20 mph, all positioned, says brake, two fingers, slip the clutch, add a few rpms. Don't look, just listen. Boom, front wheel comes up! Not real high. But not enough to scare the hell out of you either. You try to ride it out. It climbs higher as you chase it. Then you hit the brake before the redline and bring it back down. Not too bad, you start figuring out what the sensation is like, and how many rpms you need. You go back, 1st gear, 20-25 mph, all locked in, slip it with just a few more rpm's. Wheel comes higher, you ride it longer. So on and so forth. This method is 10 times safer. The wheel comes into the air smoother. You're not leaping unpredictably into the sky at a weird angle. perfect. it takes practice. But I guarantee... try it, and you'll like it ten times more than any power wheelie. Especially when you get the balls to try standups... and 2nd gear. Any stock 600 on the market right now can do a wheelie in gears 1-3. And you never need to go faster than 3rd gear.

While this is all just a *semi* humble suggestion... I do suggest it. Try it. You might not like it at first, cause you're not used to it. But all of the sudden it will click. And you will go "yeeeaaaa, thats what he was talkin about!!". Feel free to make your comments and criticism. (Sp). I've been doin wheelies for a long time. I'm probably the biggest squid on the site. This is my :2cents: Let me know what you think.

~ The super :squid:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
RoadStainR6 said:
:rolleyes: again with this close the throttle snap the throttle crap. unpredictable as hell! Why is it that I'm the only one who feels this way? Here is why I, in my humble opinion, feel that pow pow power wheelies are horrible.

So, you're cruisin down the road on your brand new 600rr. in 1st gear your bike can do a comfortable 60 mph. Impressive. So, you decide you want to pull a wheelie. You go bombin down the road, look down at your tach, and see 9grand. Then you let off the throttle real quick and the engine brake makes the bike dip foreward a bit, then you crack it wide open up screams the front end. Great, you just did a wheelie.

Now the shitty part. You're goin 55. When you let off the gas and compressed the forks, you lost your body position. When you cracked the throttle you over anticipated the unpredictable leap of the front wheel and leaned forward while pulling up on the bars. This caused you to cock the bars and throw the bike off at a weird angle. Now you panic cause the bike is careening off to the side of the road. You get so nervous you forget to cover/hit the rear brake... your mind goes blank. You can only think one thing. *shit...* As you lose control of the bike it flips you off the back. Just as it hits the guard rail with you sliding right behind it you think to yourself. "damn... how did that happen?"

Doing power wheelies is a horrible idea. especially for a rider who is still learning. The rebound of the forks is never predictable. The lurch given by letting off the throttle almost always throws off your body position. Cracking the throttle almost always causes you to turn the bars. Best case senerio of this whole endeavor is you let off the throttle as soon as it came up, and the bike dips back down and you end up chasing a 1 ft high wheelie to redline.

Now I know everyone has to start somewhere. And believe me, I sucked when I started this stuff. But bear with me and think outside the box for a second.

1st gear. 20 mph. Knees locked onto the tank. Back straight and head up. Arms locked out. Right foot over the brake. Say to yourself 3 times "hit the brake, hit the brake, hit the brake" as a reminder that it is there should you need it. Reach up with 2 fingers, stay steady on the throttle, slip the clutch, and rengage it quickly. The bike just lurches foreward. No biggy. You know you need more RPM's. So, you do it again. 20 mph, all positioned, says brake, two fingers, slip the clutch, add a few rpms. Don't look, just listen. Boom, front wheel comes up! Not real high. But not enough to scare the hell out of you either. You try to ride it out. It climbs higher as you chase it. Then you hit the brake before the redline and bring it back down. Not too bad, you start figuring out what the sensation is like, and how many rpms you need. You go back, 1st gear, 20-25 mph, all locked in, slip it with just a few more rpm's. Wheel comes higher, you ride it longer. So on and so forth. This method is 10 times safer. The wheel comes into the air smoother. You're not leaping unpredictably into the sky at a weird angle. perfect. it takes practice. But I guarantee... try it, and you'll like it ten times more than any power wheelie. Especially when you get the balls to try standups... and 2nd gear. Any stock 600 on the market right now can do a wheelie in gears 1-3. And you never need to go faster than 3rd gear.

While this is all just a *semi* humble suggestion... I do suggest it. Try it. You might not like it at first, cause you're not used to it. But all of the sudden it will click. And you will go "yeeeaaaa, thats what he was talkin about!!". Feel free to make your comments and criticism. (Sp). I've been doin wheelies for a long time. I'm probably the biggest squid on the site. This is my :2cents: Let me know what you think.

~ The super :squid:
Im with this guy, Ive lived through the troubling period he has described. Behind you 100% bro.:thumb:

·
Registered
97 Posts
when i do 1st gear power wheelies I find it to come up smooth....maybe thats cause ive tried sooo many of them but i like em

·
Registered
471 Posts
first, let me start by saying that I am *not* a wheelie expert. I hardly ever do them, and then I do I can assure you that they are not stand-up's, or anything that get's ridden out very long.

that being said, when i had my R6 i use to clutch wheelies-up in 1st gear. that bike got stolen and i ended up with a 2003 R1. after i got used to the bike i started messing around with wheelies again. I was scared shitless of them at 1st cuase a the torque on a 1K bike an't nothing to fuck with. I first started clutching wheelies on the R1 in 1st gear going about 25-30mph in a parking lot. perhaps my techniquie was off (i'm sure it was), but the bike really jerks up. it can be kinda scary at times.

then i started messing with power-up's in 1st gear. usually about 35-45 mph, blip the throttle, and then give a ton of gas. I've found that this method brings the front up much smoother and allows me for smoother landing.

but again, i hav't put much time into learning them, and I'm sure I'm way off from what i *should* be doing both with clutch-ups and power-ups.

feedback?

-sedition

·
Registered
489 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
first, let me start by saying that I am *not* a wheelie expert. I hardly ever do them, and then I do I can assure you that they are not stand-up's, or anything that get's ridden out very long.

that being said, when i had my R6 i use to clutch wheelies-up in 1st gear. that bike got stolen and i ended up with a 2003 R1. after i got used to the bike i started messing around with wheelies again. I was scared shitless of them at 1st cuase a the torque on a 1K bike an't nothing to fuck with. I first started clutching wheelies on the R1 in 1st gear going about 25-30mph in a parking lot. perhaps my techniquie was off (i'm sure it was), but the bike really jerks up. it can be kinda scary at times.

then i started messing with power-up's in 1st gear. usually about 35-45 mph, blip the throttle, and then give a ton of gas. I've found that this method brings the front up much smoother and allows me for smoother landing.

but again, i hav't put much time into learning them, and I'm sure I'm way off from what i *should* be doing both with clutch-ups and power-ups.

feedback?

-sedition
The jerking motion comes from you pulling the clutch in too far and letting it out too fast. Don't fully disengage the clutch. Slip it, then let it back out. Makes for a MUCH smoother wheelie. Thats my :2cents: on it. Hard to say for sure without seein you do it though.

~ :squid:

·
Registered
471 Posts
RoadStainR6 said:
The jerking motion comes from you pulling the clutch in too far and letting it out too fast. Don't fully disengage the clutch. Slip it, then let it back out. Makes for a MUCH smoother wheelie. Thats my :2cents: on it. Hard to say for sure without seein you do it though.

~ :squid:
ahhh! the light-bulb goes on. I was taught to *drop* the clutch and fine tune rpm to make it go up smooth....your technique makes much more sense. someone is going 'experimantal' ride home from work today ;)

-sedition

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
ahhh! the light-bulb goes on. I was taught to *drop* the clutch and fine tune rpm to make it go up smooth....your technique makes much more sense. someone is going 'experimantal' ride home from work today ;)

-sedition
Oh shit.:(

There goes another bike:rolleyes: .

:D

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i like slippin it like road stain. just this last weekend i started playin around with some power wheelies. so so soooo much more unpredictable. plus i think they are harder. the only reason i started playin with them is i wanna start doing stand ups, and i just cant get them down by clutchin so ive tried a few in second by bouncin the front and powerin up, but i havent been too aggressive with it cause thats some scary shit tryin to bounce your bike up at 70+ mph! im to the point where i can ride out a sit down pretty good, and i can get my bike just about straight up most of the time, but stand ups just look so sweet i wanna get those. guess its sprocket time for me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
No need for sprockets boss. You can do standups just fine with a stock setup. Plus I would DEFINATELY not suggest bouncing and powering a standup. When you do standups, it should come up even easier than a sit down. unless you're not doin them staggered. My suggestion is to try them staggered. this puts more weight on the back of the bike, thus making the front come up much easier. and clutch it. Powering is way to unpredictable for standups, especially with a bounce. You'll be on your ass faster than a fat bitch after eating taco bell.

Here's my recipe...

Stand staggered, in 2nd gear goin about 40. Give the clutch a good slip and whack out some rpm's. Not too many to start. If it comes up... perfect. If not, give it some more.

This is what makes clutching predictable. YOU can control it. Powering is all about having it in "the spot" and depending on where you're at in that spot, it will work, not work, or loop. I don't like to gamble. So I stick to clutching. You said you have the whole slippin the clutch thing down. Go out and give it a try. Keep your left leg bent until the bike settles in up top. Then lock it out. and ride it forever. Takes practice, but you'll get it. Enjoy and be safe!

~ the super :squid:

·
Registered
12 Posts
again i'm with RoadStainR6. If y'all got some spare money, get a fiddy. It sure helps once ya get the wheelies down to transfer to a big bike, and hurts/costs less on the fiddy :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
BWA said:
again i'm with RoadStainR6. If y'all got some spare money, get a fiddy. It sure helps once ya get the wheelies down to transfer to a big bike, and hurts/costs less on the fiddy :D
awesome suggestion! I would tell this to anyone who truly wants to learn to wheelie! I had an 02 honda xr 50 with big bars and bike pegs. I rode that thing every day, beat it to hell! and it always came back for more. Awesome for learning bp and brake control! DO IT!

·
Registered
1 Posts
wheelie questions

i have an 04 kawi 636 i've gotten pretty good and raising the front up by getting the bike to about 9000 rpm and powering it but i have alot of trouble keeping it up and sometimes even have trouble getting the bike to come up is there any other way that would be easier for a first timer to learn to do wheelies. also a friend of mine has got a pocket bike would that be good to learn how to ride wheelies on

1 - 20 of 25 Posts