Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its official, after about 6,400 miles on my 2001 929 I have had my first tank slapper. This slapping phenominon has never happened with any of my other bikes. For a while I was dilusional and thought the elusive tank slapper was a myth propetuated by other riders, that I was some how immune to the detrimental effects of handlebar/gastank contact. Because of my negligence and obtuse thinking I have dismissed past chances to purchase a steering stabilizer for a reasonable cost. After today's tank slapping, heart dropping, overall scary incident I have learned to listen to my fellow motorcyclists, and take the advice of those whom know more than I do. I am definitely buying a steering stabilizer now. I am sure that many of you have stabilizers on your bike(s) and probably have a wealth of knowledge with each model's pros and cons. It would be great if you all would enlighten me, I want to make the right purchase. If it can be helped I would rather not have to sell a kidney to afford this addition, So if anyone knows of an affordable option that works well, or better yet has a used model for sale I am all ears. Thanks for the info

Drake

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like my Scotts, your able to adjust it while your riding, plus it's saved me from many tank-slappers. There is a ton of web sites sell them for around $350 to $400. Good luck, and ride safe.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a Scotts on my track SV and like it ok. Part of the reason I choose the Scotts is that my KLX dirt bike needed a damper, after buying a mount for each bike it’s just 2 bolts to move the Scotts to the other bike.

If I was doing it again and only for a pavement bike I’d get the top mount telescopic from http://www.traxxion.com/
Top notch customer support and the telescopic dampers are a little better at catching the very small head shakes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've got 6900 miles on my 2001 929, and I've had some horrible shaking through turns and occasionally at high speeds after hitting a cat-err...-a bump.

I've got a Toby dampener on thats almost fully tightened and its always been as solid as a rock. I just got the bike into the shop about 1,100 miles ago for the 4k mile maintenence, they said nothing about the bearings, and it seems to early for them to cause me problems. My stock tires don't seem to be cupping and the weights are still on the wheels...

...anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? is it possible for the bearings to go out this early?

thanks in advance for any help..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts