Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The man who sells us all of our cars, that has his own dealership got in a 04 gsxr and i heading out to like 4 mile straight away close to my house. its a dead in so no cars are on it. so after i drove out there the guy let me ride it that was my first time. He is going to sell it in the spring and my parents said when they get me a bike its going to be through him so mabey ill get a bike soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
gixxermarine said:
No offense man, but if your parents are buying you a bike, you
DO NOT need one.
hmm ya my parents are buying me one because of some things ive done like getting eagle and having good grades. plus im 16 and im getting a little starter bike first. thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
leland said:
hmm ya my parents are buying me one because of some things ive done like getting eagle and having good grades. plus im 16 and im getting a little started bike first. thanks.
So you're getting rewarded for not fucking up?

I'm against teenagers getting their cars from their parents for free or for "hard school work" or any other lame excuse. They never appreciate it for what it is.

Keep the shiney side up, at least.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
gixxermarine said:
No offense man, but if your parents are buying you a bike, you
DO NOT need one.
What the hell does that have to do with anything.. does anyone "need" a bike?

And I dislike rich spoiled brats getting a 350z or whatever for their graduation present, but this kid doesn't seem too bad.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Seriously. Don't bash him because his parents are buying him a bike. No reason for that.

And he said he's starting on a smaller bike....very smart, and make sure you take the MSF course, and invest in protective gear, leland.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In a way I am with Slaps. Though for your own safety, please allow me to suggest first of all that you sign up for the MSC Course & then aim for something more sensible. The bike you are looking at (be it a 600 or 1000cc) is really for experienced riders & is basically a replica of their road racing bikes. More people are injured, to crippled for life along with being killed on such bikes for they have very peaky engines & are what we call "none forgiving handeling" meaning one slight mistake on the bike & you are hitting the pavement hard. You might have puttered around said lot in first gear or possibly in 2nd lugging the engine, which is a no-no, for such bikes while riding it properly is NOT easy to pick up or learn.

Personally I would say, since you have a neighbor in the car business, then ask him to round up a decent car for you to learn all about the traffic. Then a year or two down the road, take that MSF Course & aim for a 500cc bike to learn on FOR riding a m/c is so different to driving a cage what with balance, banking bends & corners, traction, and avoiding cages/cars for they seemingly do not see us m/c riders nor do they give a darn. Besides in most cases if learner will drop their bikes & it is most costly to drop a GSXR. For your interest if you drop that bike at max speed on the hwy you are looking for, if luck is with you & you have not bend the frame, the costs of plastics & such would be half the price of a new bike. Believe me that ABS plastic scuffs & shatter so easily.

Do remember the bike you are thinking you might get is a lousy bike for riding around town, which is what you would be doing most of your learning years AND such a bike does not like chugging around town---they want to have the revs up higher like at least 6 thou & believe me that is WELL over the max speed limits of the hwys & definately WAY WAY beyond the city speed limits.

Also unfortunately you know little about m/cs which is pretty obviouse in your letter to this board. Believe me none of us are trying to say you cannot buy a bike I learn, but they would like to see this be with some knowledge, some cage driving experience, the MSF Course & some decent protective riding gear. We simply do not like to see you becomming another statistic about ANOTHER killed m/c rider & especially a newbie on a bike way to far in advance for him or her.

What so many, above are really saying, is that you do not have the itch for a real m/c & have not been trying to learn what bikes do what & what is best to learn on, to info about the MSF Course.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I would have ragged the shit out of my gixxer had my parents paid for it. You learn a lot of respect for the bike knowing every dime that goes into the bike is yours. Start slow my friend, and everything will make sense.

-=bmacd=-

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not to speak for leland, but all he said about the gixxer was that he rode one, not that was going to be his first bike. He then mentioned getting a starter bike.

However leland, you didn't mention your timeframe on getting a bike, but Smitty brings up a great point. When you're 16-17, driving a car is hectic enough, meaning learning all the traffic rules, and getting comfortable in different driving situations. Juggle that while trying to learn to ride a m/c could be pretty dangerous. You may want to notch a good chunk of miles driving an auto under your belt before getting a street bike.

Not trying to question your abilities, but there's quite a learning curve that goes along with driving any vehicle on public roads, in dealing with traffic and all the idiots out there. Takes a little while before you become truly competent behind the wheel(or handlebars), even if you are a fast learner.

·
Registered
980 Posts
brynn said:
So you're getting rewarded for not fucking up?

I'm against teenagers getting their cars from their parents for free or for "hard school work" or any other lame excuse. They never appreciate it for what it is.

Keep the shiney side up, at least.
You know I had a friend who never bought anything for himself, or wouldnt buy much and only worked summer jobs. His dad helped him pay for most things. Now hes going to a great tech school. I on the other hand worked two jobs and slacked off at school. Now I work in a -20 freezer for as long 8, 10, 12, and I have worked as long as a 14 hour day with one 10 minute break. Better to bust your ass at school then take a crappy job and bust your ass at that and have it detract from your school work. Edit: But I only plan to do this for another year or so. After that I wanna head to hawaii for college.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No shit. He is in High School. How is he suppose to afford a car? Of course his parents are going to buy it for him. Thats a good reward for good grades. It will pay dividends when hes done with school.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts