Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went down for the first time in the year span i've had my bike. bad situation and too much speed goin into the turn cause me to loose it, but i'm ok and my bike is actually not too bad either. I do need to buy some parts though and one of them is giving me problems. The shifting cluster broke off but the only actual broken piece is the bracket that holds the shift lever on. I am trying to save some money and just buy the bracket instead of the whole left rear set, but i can't seem to find one. i will probably end up having to buy a new left rear set but i figured i would ask you guys first and maybe i will get lucky. the only place i really know to look for my parts is ebay...any suggestions of other places online would help a lot. The bike is a 1998 suzuki gsxr-600 srad

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Cant tell exactly what part you are talking about but check this
or this

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
To bad about the prang, but you know why your pranged & you might use the system by Kenny Roberts being "in slow & out fast" which is exactly what I use & do.

The drawing Vash sent is NOT showing any farther then the spline of the shifting part. What I would highly suggest is that you visit someone that sells your make of m/c & see the parts man for they can bring up EXACTLY what you need to be replaced & in the end it will be quicker & less costly then guessing what said part is & ordering over the 'net only to possibly receive the wrong item. Time to wait for said part from the dealer is around two days. It was four days in my case for the dealer had to mail it to me.

On that spline (showen in the drawing by Vash) going into the gearbox section is probably the part damaged, in your mind, & it is that lever with the pivot on it that, is probably held by a 10mm bolt with a 10mm lock nut & bolt to snug all up. After that it is the extended rod (left handed thread in this case---while right handed thread at the rear gear change lever) going to the rear gear change lever also with a pivot part only. IF it is that part then make sure you obtain a 12 or 10mm left handed nut so you can snug up both ends of the extranded rod.

All will sound a bit mixed up, but once you go to the m/c dealer parts man & see what to order in then all will make sense. It is just that some do not realize sometimes on a bike one can come across a left handed thread/nut for a specific job.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
snap a picture of the part you want replaced, and we can find it for you.

Smitty, if you dealer can get you a part in 2 days, tip him well. Mine takes 3 weeks to get brake pads and exhaust gaskets :finger:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know what city you are liveing in but trya motorcycle autowrecker. I ahve to old KZ650's they have broken loads of time's(mostly from drops) You may have to go down there to look yourself but I usually have good luck and it's hella cheap, Mabey even free for something that small.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the help guys....I will snap some pics when i get home from work tonight. I havn't replaced any parts on my bike before so i'm not sure what everything is called and where it goes...sorry for my lack of knowledge.

oh also, i usually use in slow fast out, but in this situation i couldn't. What does prang mean?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
prang= crash

Smitty uses british slang for some reason.. so Cog = gear, stone is some obscure measurement of weight, tires are spelled with a "y" and colors have a U in them. I dont understand it either, canadians are just wierd like that.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
shifterx said:
[B I ahve to old KZ650's they have broken loads of time's(mostly from drops)
[/B]
My first 4 bikes were KZ650s. Gotta love them! The only way you could break one of those bikes is by dropping it....upright, they last forever!! The bikes they make today are faster, but are also a whole lot more fragile.....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Vash said:
prang= crash

Smitty uses british slang for some reason.. so Cog = gear, stone is some obscure measurement of weight, tires are spelled with a "y" and colors have a U in them. I dont understand it either, canadians are just wierd like that.
Don't forget that he uses "klick", but he is always nice enough to convert to "MPH" as well. after you get the smitty to "american english" translation down you realize that he actually does make a lot of sense.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd say you'll probably have to end up buying a whole rear set because of how its broken. Should just look around for a used rear set cuz a new one might be costly. I don't you'll find that part seperate from the whole rear set for sale.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Finding Used Parts

Motorcycle salvage yards are a cheap, quick, and easy place to find parts. Most of the big ones operate on a national basis and will ship parts to you. There are LOTS of them out there.

Do a Google search on "Motorcycle Salvage".

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Ouch!!!!! you really did snap of the complete left rear-set bracket that holds the footrest (footpeg in American lingo) & cogbox (gearbox) rear change lever.

You could contact the bikebandit people that sells identical after-market parts, or go to a m/c salvage yard, if there is one in you area & lastly would be to see the m/c parts man at the shop of the maker.

As I mentioned my bike lost the extended linkage arm to the cogbox gear change lever on a Saturday. A phone call to the Honda Parts Man (never met the chap in my life though shop knows me well as I use to be part owner of a m/c shop & trouble shot another one--at my age & my yrs of riding one tends to develope a reputation--even if I might be called an old fart) & even in the mail, from the same shop, the adjusting arm/rod arrived on Wednesday which I put on Thursday & was riding again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think i am gonna check a salvage yard and see if i can pick up a whole set there....thank you guys so much for the help i can't believe how awesome you've been. Thanks a lot!! Oh and i'll keep you posted.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
StealthZX9R said:
I'd say you'll probably have to end up buying a whole rear set because of how its broken. Should just look around for a used rear set cuz a new one might be costly. I don't you'll find that part seperate from the whole rear set for sale.
+1. Unless you have aftermarket rear sets, they generally are sold as one complete unit only.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
kanwisch said:
+1. Unless you have aftermarket rear sets, they generally are sold as one complete unit only.
Guys, have you looked at the links posted earlier? Its parts of the rear sets, available iduvidually. Ron ayers wants a little under $50 for the bracket in question, bike bandit will give it to you for under $30. Why bother looking around salvage yards when you can have a brand new part for $30?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Vash said:
Guys, have you looked at the links posted earlier? Its parts of the rear sets, available iduvidually. Ron ayers wants a little under $50 for the bracket in question, bike bandit will give it to you for under $30. Why bother looking around salvage yards when you can have a brand new part for $30?
I had seen yours but for whatever reason thought it was just a diagram explosion, not a sales site. I've seen sites (partsfish, for instance) that show exploded OEM diagrams yet you could only purchase the complete assembly, thus my statement. I honestly didn't see the follow-up link from Stealth :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
kanwisch said:
I had seen yours but for whatever reason thought it was just a diagram explosion, not a sales site. I've seen sites (partsfish, for instance) that show exploded OEM diagrams yet you could only purchase the complete assembly, thus my statement. I honestly didn't see the follow-up link from Stealth :(
Well hopefully M3atwad will see it and save himself some money on it instead of wasting his time looking around salvage yards for the part he can get for under $30.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea i saw the bracket for 30 i think on bike bandit and will probly end u getting that one unless i can find one locally with my other part.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts