Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first wreck on a bike Thursday. My mother passed away Monday night, and I was out thinking about her and just getting away from the whole atmosphere. I had just easily dipped through a hairpin on a road near my house and was just hitting my apex in the next turn at about 40 when a golden retriever ran out in front of me. I made the split-second decision to take going off into a ditch instead of high-siding over the dog, and jumped on the front brake. I felt the ass end rise up as I went off the tarmac and into the ditch. As near as I can tell, I leaned back enough to get the back wheel down and pulled it down on the left side. Just as I hit the bottom of the ditch, the low-side turned into a high-side and it threw me about ten feet into a big, soft pile of dirt. I remember skidding on my head and thinking it was pretty weird seeing the dirt and stuff fly by from the inside of my helmet (it was like watching a crash on a movie screen), and then the impact knocked the breath out of me. I laid there for a sec, asking myself if I was okay, and then I realized that I was talking to myself out loud, and started laughing. After I got up and found my wallet, my cellphone, and the shoe that flew off (I'm going to go look for my sunglasses later today), three people stopped and made sure I was okay, but just as I was turning to ask them to help me pick the bike up, they were gone. Thanks. The bike started right up and there was a shallow part of the ditch that I used to get out. I rode the bike the half-mile back to my house with all the stuff hanging off of it, and it's been parked in my driveway ever since. At the best, I just have cracked bodywork and a bent clip-on, but at the worst, I may have bent forks.:( I've been taking care of my mom's house and estate, and the funeral was yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to really look at the bike.
Other than a bruised chest (apparently, I managed to hit the tank, the clipons, and the windscreen on my way over the front of the bike.) and some seriously sore muscles in my arms and back (from picking up the heavy sommamabitch), I am perfectly all right.
So, I guess, out of all the possible crashes that one could have on a bike, I had the best one. That doesn't make me feel all that much better, though. I didn't see where the dog went, but I imagine that he felt pretty bad, too.:rolleyes:

holla,
Ed

·
Registered
199 Posts
Woa....

Hey Ed,

Sorry, First, about the loss of your Mom. Then this. Glad you are (mostly) OK. I had my first wreck this year too, and must have replayed that movie (of the slo-mo wreck) over in my mind about a hundred times.

As I'm sure you know, the bike can be fixed, and glad you don't have to be...

All I can think to say is Whatta week.. and that we're sorry to hear of all of this. Sucks.

You sure have a good outlook, given whats going on. That alone speaks volumes about your character. You'll get through all of this.

Hope there are close friends and others to help you deal.

Hang in there.

Buck and Jeff

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, fellas.

if you want to, I'll go ahead and take the F4i off your hands to make room in the garage for your new VFRs. . .:rolleyes:
but, seriously, thanks. you guys rule

holla,
Ed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lucky Dog(s)!

That dog and you were very lucky, somebody is watching over you man!;) Don't let all this get you down, take a deep breath.....relax and just do the best you can, that WILL be enough and everything will work out fine.:):):):)

Sounds like the bike isn't too bad off and it will make more sense when its all cleaned up and you get a break to look it over.

Hang in there, Life is full of losses, but the best is yet to come. Tylenol's on me!:cool:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Very sorry for your loss :( Worst time of year for something like that too. Glad you made it outta the wreck relatively unscathed though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sorry to hear about your mother, 2 bad all this had to happen so close to eachother. But be happy you could get away with it like that, and that the damage to the bike is not so heavy.
good luck and take care

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sorry about your Mother.

Everyone falls sooner or later, I've fallen four times on the street in the last twenty years, it happens to the best of us.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry and Condolences to you and all of your family.The holiday season is always a tough time of year and all of this makes it double hard. Don't go it alone, turn to family and friends for support, we all need somebody to lean on, or they(family) may need to lean on you. Togather you will get through this emotionaly trying times. Same goes for the bike I sure your riding mates wont mind coming over with a few cold ones and spining wrenches with you to get your ride up and running. Sorry and God Bless you and all your loved ones.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hey Ed,
Very sorry to hear about your mother, my thoughts
are with you and yours............
I had my first wreck about three months ago & was able
to ride off as well, we must have someone watching out
for us. (anytime you can walk away, huh)
Best wishes............Cam

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Follow Up. . .

I just took all the plastics off of my bike, to survey the extent of the damage. Surprisingly enough, none of the bodywork is cracked or broken, but the front fairing is bent on the left side, and the left tail section is a little bent, too. However, my biggest concern is that the front wheel is turned slightly to the left when the handlebars are centered. I looked the forks up and down and can't tell if they are bent, but I don't know what else would cause that. The only plastic that I need to replace is the front fender; it's broken around the screw mount-holes. Apparently the force of the highside had some hellacious torque, because the mounting tab that comes off of the fork tube on the left side broke completely off.
I heard or read somewhere that you could put a zx-6r or F3 front end on an EX500 without too much trouble. Depending on what the shop says about the forks, I may go that route. I think that, since I have the plastics off and they're all scratched to hell anyway, that I may go ahead and paint the old girl. Purple has never really been my color (keep the jokes to yourselves, dan and amber). Maybe a nice silver or red. . .
Anyway, thanks for your kind words, guys, and if anyone knows anything about the front-end conversion, please let me know.

holla,
Ed

·
Registered
315 Posts
Glad to hear your doin alright from all this. I went down 3 weeks ago and i came out alright too. Although my bike didnt start right up like everyone elses i've spoken to but i got it to push start while rolling it down hill. Sounds a little louder then before and looks like mainly scratchs and cracks. Got some noise i need to figure out where its coming from but nothing seems bent. Dont let it get you down cuz thats gonna make you feel weird when you get back on. I knew if i let it get to me id have another mishap. So i got back on after a quick check to see if it would keep running and when back up the twisties to see my crash and kinda evaluate what happened. After i did a wheelie[not recommended] on the way to my friends house to get bandaged up just to see if i was focused. :D :D :D

Would have ridden the next few days if it was possible to bend my knees without pain but i had to wait. Im back on now and just buildiing the confidence up. Went down just a few notches. Just being careful not to make a mistake while my confidence is slightly lowered. I still ride like its meant to be ridden. :D

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Ed, sorry to hear about your loss.
Don't worry about the bike, it can be fixed cheaply from what I read.
I lost my father last year and realized that I was no good on the bike during that time as my mind wasn't 100% on the road.
I didn't crash, but had some close ones that I could have easily avoided otherwise.
My point is, make sure your mind is on the road 100% when you ride. Driving a car is different than riding a bike, it requires your attention and reflex 100% at all times.
I don't mean that it was your fault and that you wouldn't crash otherwise, it's just a though from my own experience.

About your front end.
Try to untighten the bolts on the triple clamp and on the top yokes and then bring the wheel to allignment. You should be able to do that by catching the wheel with your legs and turning the handlebars with your hands. (this could also work without loosening the clamp and yoke).
Then you can see more easily if the fork is bent. Maybe the triple clamp is bent also, it is quite frequent that it takes the stress more than the fork itself.

I hope all goes well for you.

Aris

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sorry about your mom, Ed. That kind of loss takes a lot out of us, and it isn't through with you yet. Not by a long shot. That's why you are so focused on your bike... its easier to think about. It takes time.

Be extra careful. You are gonna have to convince yourself to slow down a little, for a little while. Your head knows this. You just aren't all there right now. Big hole in the heart right now. :(

Stuart

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ed, my condolences. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'm glad you came out of the crash as well as you did. Good luck on getting the bike back up.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sorry about Moms, can't imagine a more powerful distraction. Knowing how hard Georgia clay is, its great you found a nice soft place to land. And it is certainly amazing how time slows to a crawl while you're flying the friendly skies!
Glad you're alright, and the best way I know to honor your parents is to live your life well and joyfully, so you'll have plenty of stories to tell them when you see them again!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I'm very sorry about your loss. Our loved ones stay with us, even past death as long as we keep their memory alive. I'll bet she was the one who kept you and your bike from being damaged more severely.

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts