Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 F4, which I keep garaged... whenever I try to ride my baby, it gets upset and refuses to start. I hear the egine make a dying attempt to turn and then it dies (even with the choke on). Basically, I have to put it in gear and push it until I get up to jogging speed, then I press the starter and it comes one (but not always on the first try). I am in Arizona, and it's unseasonable cold right now, so I think that has something to do with it. But it's a Honda (my second one, and I had no such problems with my F3), and I would expect more. Besides, none of my friends (all in my area) have the same problem. Their bikes start right up in the same weather (about 50-60 degrees most days) and they are riding R1's, GSXR 750's and Kawa 6000's.

Any opinions on what might be wrong? And/Or suggestion on how to fix it?

As I type this I am at work, and waiting for the fine young ladies outside to leave so they don't have to see me pushing my bike up the street to get it started.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just an idea!

Do you need a new battery maybe? Other than that, can't help you out much, as my F4 starts with no problems unless I'm dumb and don't choke it. I would think if it was due to the cold weather, it would start better when warm so you might try starting it right after you shut it off sometime and see if that helps. Heck, what do I know anyway? :rolleyes: Just a stab in the dark.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if it ain't the battery, do you have a black box you can borrow. my powerpak had a problem mapping the idle rpm's on my f2 (and drained the battery trying to get it going). i put the stock box in and bam!!! problem solved.

good luck bro.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions... it wasn't the battery

I took the bike into Western Honda and they suggested that they replace the battery... $50 and a day later, my bike still wouldn't start cold. Still had to run with it down the block to get things going, at least no one was watching this time.

So, I think I'll try that stock box thing (thanks F2boy)...

I appreciate all the comments...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts