Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... 1 year, 10 months, and almost 9,000 incredible miles later its time to sell my bike.

It's a weird feeling, getting rid of something you worked so hard for and sacrificed so much for (read: family for 1 month), but its for good reason.

No I didn't go down and now i'm scared to get back on, no my parents/wife/girlfriend aren't making me sell it, and no im not getting another one anytime soon. Just like I sacrificed other things to get the bike (something I really wanted) im sacrificing the bike for another want.... a life in the islands:cool:

I graduated from Delaware this May with plans to move to the Virgin Islands in late September. I just got home from my "pre-move visit" this past week and my mind is made up.

Now I considered bringing the bike with me, that was before I got there and saw where and what I would be riding. The roads are awesome for a bike, i mean theres not one straight away on the whole island (st thomas), and I did see a few bikes down there (929RR, F2, couple BMWs, etc...). But after driving the roads myself I know I don't have the balls to ride down there.

So its a bit bitter sweet... I hate to sell it, but its an asset thats tied up and not liquid and I need all the assets I can get. When (if) I return to the states I know i'll be back on one as soon as I hit terra firma. This message board served as an invaluable resource for myself and all beginners alike.

If you know of anyone interested in a great little '98 F3, send em my way!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Sorry to hear it man, but good luck on the islands. It was nice to have you around here too, sorry to see you go:)

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
That's how spicersh and I felt while living in Puerto Rico - there were some awesome roads, but there were a ton of nutso drivers and random potholes big enough to lose a bike in, not worth it to ride there.

Congrats on graduating and the upcoming move! Best of luck, and make sure to check in here once in awhile to let us know how you're doing! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cbr929_cholo said:
I thought you had AIDS or Cancer or something by the subject line....:dunno:

Good luck....

Well I always viewed riding as a disease, but a fun disease... like the clap!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: My End is Near.... Selling the bike.

Unas_the_Slayer said:
I live in NJ, do you recommend that as a beginner bike? :p And how much would you be selling it for.

You will get conflicting opinions on this but MY OPINION is that it is a great first bike for a REASONABLE and SENSIBLE person. After all, it was my first bike and I have no complaints. Being a carb'd bike with a few miles on it (close to 18K) its power is very forgiving yet it won't leave you dissappointed when you start grabbing for more. Being your first bike you will drop it / let it fall over, trust me... and i've already done that for you so you won't feel so bad putting a few scratches on the plastic!!! haha

The bikes never been over while moving. I forgot to take off the disc lock one day and over she went, minor scratches to the right side plastics, nothing major. If you want more info let me know. I havent decided on a price yet, it will all depend on how much money i put into it before i sell it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I must let you know that your mistaken if you think you can cure the sportbike bug with things like sun, sandy beaches, tropical drinks, great food, bikinis, bikinis, bikinis, oh f*#k it, enjoy the islands. But, I must let you know that none of us are even slightly envious:crying: :crying: :D Good Luck!!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Kyle, what will you be doing down there (for work)?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
fuster said:
I think I'd want to start out as a professional man of leisure, and take it from there. :cool: :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fuster said:

Don't take this the wrong way but that is the typical question I get from every mainlander and the one question that is never asked of me by an islander. Seems we up here in the states are all work work work...

To be bluntly honest, I don't know what I will be doing for "work". While I was down 2 weeks ago I put my resume into the right hands and it is currently in circulation with various people in the criminal justice sector, however the level of corruption within the government down there makes our gov'ts look like a utopia.

However the big decision is this: Do I want a "real" job where i go to work from 9-4 every day and do some kind of professional work or do I want to be a charter boat captain or work in a dive shop and go diving daily. Both options have their pros and cons (which I won't bore you with) and I don't know which I want yet. But no worries because you cannot get a job down there unless you are on island (the exception being you getting a position with a company in the states that is sending you down there).

I'll be going down with enough money to live for about 2-3 months without working and within that time I'll know what im doing (hell, I was there for 9 days and could have gotten 4 different jobs if I wasn't going home).

But the question I like to ask is.... What's the first thing you're going to do when you get down there? The answers are so much more entertaining and will tell you right away whether or not that person is still on mainland time or island time.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
spicersh said:
I think I'd want to start out as a professional man of leisure, and take it from there. :cool: :D
Me too. But alas, I am a workaholic. I guess I could consider the geographic as "detox".

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Sunk cost...

Good Evening All-

Your motorcycle is what accountants would call a "sunk cost" but for others, it is something it might be difficult to purchase years down the road. Depending on current condition, the couple thousand dollars you receive now will have minimal impact on your life in the Virgin Islands.

Now, fast-forward a few years when you (and possibly a spouse) decide to return to the United States for whatever reason. You need to purchase a house and the things to make it inhabitable. Will you have the budget in 2012 to purchase a new 1000cc sportbike for $16,999 given the plethora of other responsibilities?

That cool little bike you squirrelled-away in the corner of your parent's garage would then be a welcomed diversion on the weekend and wouldn't cost you even an extra dime! Visit friends from college, pack a tent and ride to a campsite, ride in the mountains to blow out the cobwebs...The two thousand dollars you didn't have in 2004 would be a long-forgotten memory. Perhaps you lived on nothing but ramen noodles, tuna fish, rice, and beans for a few extra months...you can't really remember, but you've still got the motorcycle!

Keep the motorcycle and focus your energies on finding a job as soon as possible. Comport yourself as if you had to secure employment within thirty days, rather than allowing the sixty to ninety days you have planned. I've given this counsel to people in the past...who have thanked me not immediately...but a decade later.

YMMV,

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting... and definitly worth some thought. I have decided to put off selling the bike until later in the summer for the simple fact that i've been able to ride it again and don't want to part.

It will all depend on how much I end up generating / saving before the move. If I have enough resources to move without needing to sell that would be great. If I don't well... that will be that. Thanks for the food for thought.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You know, I think that it's amazing how people form a "bond" with their bikes. I have to sell my bike in August because I am going overseas, and I am counting down the days until I have to part with it. I am not looking forward to it, because it's my stress reliever... I just think that it's funny how people get so close to their bikes. Almost like a friend, I guess you could say.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, like my Mom and I think a Meguire's ad says... its only metal, rubber, and plastic... why do you care so much? They just don't understand.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Kyle said:
Yea, like my Mom and I think a Meguire's ad says... its only metal, rubber, and plastic... why do you care so much? They just don't understand.
Those are the kind of people that need to sit on the back of one while someone takes them at 100 mph down a backroad somewhere...then see what they say.

But you're right in any case...they just don't understand. I try to explain it to my wife why it's hard for me to part with my bike, but am at a loss for explanation every time I do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts