Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my sessions here on SBW look like they're about to get shortened severely. :crying:

My company is about to roll-out a new internet security system that, aside from blocking viruses, will "filter out sites classified as workplace inappropriate". Somehow, I think SBW will fall into that category.

I've only got a dodgy dial-up service at home, so I don't think I'll be able to get on here as much. Never fear, I'll still be here, just not as often.

Roll-out starts on May 8th. :(

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Every system has ways around it. Hopefully you won't need to use any back doors, but you may. I'm surprised their just now implementing it, most places have had it for a long time. Good luck, and let us know of any news!

Sepias

·
Registered
258 Posts
Never fear! My company has a very restrictive security system that is called "Webblocker" or something like that. But, this site is not at all blocked. I have tested it severely, and it is a pretty good system from a company point of view, but alas, SBW is golden for me at work. I was quite surprised when I was able to access all aspects of this site at work, considering the wide range of content. I'm guessing it's because the format of SBW is considered clean by all the filters they use.

Here's to hoping you too are one of the Lucky one's when you're at work and don't really have to work!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I can view sbw at work... then again my company doesn't even have a sexual harassment policy...

My work does get akward at times, expecially since my job is straight out from "Office Space" the movie. I overheard a coversation midway near my cubical with the word "titty bar", "stripper", "wife", and "I'm out of" in a sentence. This was all coming from a British man. Haha. I broke in and said "What are you guys talking about?" lol. Fyi, our VP of marketing was in the converstion (he's not British) so you can understand how relaxed the workplace is.

I love my job.

·
Registered
183 Posts
thats really shitty cookeetree. Hopefully this site is not blocked. I dont know what I would do if I didnt have the internet at work.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi cookeetree-

We're hoping that you obtain a faster connection for your home computer. As far as work access goes, it's their network, their computers, their servers, and their offices.

You could always get a laptop with broadband connectivity.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Corporate web tools vary quite widely and it will depend on what stance is taken: fully open and close as needed -or- fully closed and open as needed. Typical security starting points.

Most IT shops wouldn't start fully closed since admins and developers use forums extensively for research into problems and project work. So if you're in that boat, I wouldn't be too concerned.

There are always ways around site-specific blocks :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Being the NA here at my work we do block certain sites. But what I did was setup a computer in the break room so people could use it for there personal email and surfing while on lunch break or there 15 minute coffee break. It has worked really well and we have had fewer virus outbreaks because of it.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Same thing happened to me back in 2002 with SBW. It was blocked for about 2 years for me.

Now, for some reason it's all open again. Doesn't matter to me as long as I can get on and dick around.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After the new system comes in, I'll try logging on during what would be my lunch break (I can take "lunch" whenever I like). That way, if it's blocked and recorded, I can at least say it wasn't on company time, just their computer.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi cookeetree-

If your employer has a decent IT department, they can absolutely run reports on web usage by employee, by time, and by destination. That is a very good idea you had to "time" your visits to SBW to coincide with "lunchtime" until you get a feel for the new policies. If they're really strict, you may even receive a pop-up warning that says you've violated the "Corporate Use Of The Internet Policy" or similar. If pressed, you'll simply need to talk your way out of any minor trouble.

If you have a spare laptop computer laying around the house, you can always store it at work and just get a broadband card installed should you want to check personal e-mail, SBW, or anything else of a personal nature without leaving digital fingerprints all over the company network.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I remember in HS when I had a computer class, some kid in the class before ours would always leave his user name still logged in. So at the end of the year, my friend goes on his account, moves all his documents into a new folder called "You Suck in life" and logs out. The next day our IT guy at the highschool was in the classroom on my friends computer where the kid stays logged on and claims that my friend "hacked into his account" and moved all his files into one folder, of which he didn't realize, and deletes the folder himself. What a stupid kid.

My friend gest suspended for 2 days. When he comes back the next week. The kid didn't learn from his mistake and continues to leave his computer logged in. So my friend makes another folder "You Really Suck in Life", with a text file saying "read this first". He left a message saying "Hey dipshit, remember to log out of the computer."

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
damn the man:mad:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's started.

I just tried to log on to the chat room on Gabbly and it blocked me. What do they expect from me???? WORK????!!!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi cookeetree-

That is so rude of your employer. The next thing you know they're going to seek increased marketshare and greater profitability for shareholders. It's an outrage, I say! :D ;)

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
91 Posts
My workplace uses a "net nanny" program called Websense. It blocks some sites altogether and issues "quota time" for others. Right now the internet categories "sports, games, gambling, sex, singles and dating, shopping, weapons or firearms, chat pages, user defined" are all blocked. So basically it is almost all off limits. I have found that message forums, news sites, and other such categories are available. Many of them don't go through the Websense quota routine.

I am at a remote site (Amity, AR. population 400) and there is little else to do with my time when work is done for the day. I know they can watch my usage so I try and keep it to a minimum and no NSFW stuff unless it is after closing (at which time I am always leaving anyways...Sometimes I cheat though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have several trials with VPN services. Nowdays i am using https://www.iwasel.com/en/ to unblock websites. It is very reliable and encrypts your connection out of country so the censors can't see what i am doing. Some of my friends have been using it for up to 2 years with no issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts