Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went home during lunch today to make some room in my garage for some furniture to be delivered this evening. While moving stuff around, I moved the bike out in the driveway with the intention of putting it back before I went back to work. Low and behold, I get paged from work and had to get back right away so I just left the bike in the driveway. I've left it there several times overnight with no problems. I live in a quiet subdivision with mostly older people as neighbors. Well when I got home this evening the bike was gone!!!!!. I called the police and they came out and did a report. I gave them a recent picture, as the paint job was not completely stock. They told me they would do their best but said they honestly doubted if I would see it again. I also called State Farm to make a claim and I am supposed to be talking to a claims person tomorrow.

I am so mad right now I can't stand it:mad: I had posted last week that I was thinking about selling the bike and getting a busa or 12R but decided a few days ago that since my 9R was paid for, I would just keep it for a while and not go into debt on anything new. The worst thing is that I just spent $2500 on a big-bore kit, cams and carbs for it a couple of months ago. I have heard that you can add performance parts on your insurance policy but I didn't because I had paid the policy for the year already and just figured I would add it on in May when it renewed. That was pretty stupid!:mad:

Anyway, I have never had anything stolen before and would like to get an idea of what I need to do now. Anyone have any ideas on what the insurance company will try to do. About how long will I have to wait for a check? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well having never had one stoeln, I knwo severeal people that have. Call your Insurance, DUH. They'll tell you what you should do. I hope you made a police report too? That will help your insurance case. I'm not sure how long it takes to get the money, but make sure you tell the insurance company about any parts you put on it. They'll have to pay for that too.

Good luck and sorry to hear about it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How long have you been with State Farm? If you've been a loyal customer to them for a while, then it wouldn't hurt to try and get the agent to cover the cam and big bore kit (if you've got the receipts for them). Also, go to kbb.com and book out your bike at what retail value is, then talk to the insurance adjuster to make sure that is at least the amount you will be compensated for. If they squawk, raise hell! Sorry about your bike though...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Awe man! And we were just talkin' about you choosing between the Busa and 12!

I'm really sorry Kawboy. That really sucks. I've had my pride and joy(1969 Dodge Coronet Superbee) stolen from me before so I know exactly how you feel. First you wanna cry. Then you wanna kill! It really sucks I know.

Hang in there. Get as much from State Farm as possible. Then get that Busa or 12.

BTW, it helps to think that traumatic events in your life happen for a good reason. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe that big bore kit would have exploded on you next week (hopefully it explodes all over that f____king scumbag who stole it; or at least he crashes and cracks his skull open and gets brain damaged for life). Whatever. At least now you WILL get a new bike.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is hope your bike will be recovered. Let the bike shops in your area know your bike was lifted.Supply them with picture and VIN #, and engine #. Good luck and my vote is for the 12R as a replacement.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rogue_Biker said:

I'm really sorry Kawboy. That really sucks. I've had my pride and joy(1969 Dodge Coronet Superbee) stolen from me before so I know exactly how you feel. First you wanna cry. Then you wanna kill! It really sucks I know.

Hang in there. Get as much from State Farm as possible. Then get that Busa or 12.

BTW, it helps to think that traumatic events in your life happen for a good reason. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe that big bore kit would have exploded on you next week (hopefully it explodes all over that f____king scumbag who stole it; or at least he crashes and cracks his skull open and gets brain damaged for life). Whatever. At least now you WILL get a new bike.
Thanks Rogue. Yeah, ya know I was thinking the same thing about the big-bore kit. I guess I'll never know. Oh well, I do have all the records of the work I've had done so hopefully I'll be able to recoup some of that investment.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments and suggestions

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stolen bike

Sorry to hear about the bike! I had my Honda XR Enduro stolen this summer...and my next door neighbors on the same night. I was really torqued, so I can certainly empathize.

My advice with the insurance company is hold out for as much as possible. I paid $3000 for my bike in 95 and the insurance company only offered me $1300 after the theft. I put a package of info together for them and they ended up offering me $2900 after my $250 deductable. Not too bad for 6 years of use and 5K miles.

In the package I included photos of the bike from when I bought it and the most recent I had. Then I hit the net and found all of the similar bikes that were for sale in my area and surrounding communities. I presented this to Nationwide and they didn't ask any questions and doubled their initial offer.

Too bad about the loss, but do your homework and get what you deserve for it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
Kawboy said:
The worst thing is that I just spent $2500 on a big-bore kit, cams and carbs for it a couple of months ago.
Ok - do a little investgation on the people who did the work on the bike - I mean you cant tell bored out cylinders from looking at the bike.. Check it out man!!! You live in a low risk neighborhood - but the people who did the work on your bike have a bill with your address! Really sorry for the loss - I wish we could cut hands off of people who steal like some countries. :finger:

·
Registered
987 Posts
I feel your pain! I also had a bike stolen, a flawless ZX12 right out of my garage earlier this year. If it makes you feel any better, I got my bike back, 2 weeks later with minor damage which my insurance company took care of, so there is a chance. Interestingly enough, they recovered the bike almost 500 miles away at Mardi Gras. The moron who stole it was walking around with my pistol hanging out his back pocket. And this was a professional thief!
Came to find out that the guy who stole my bike had seen it at the street races, and must have followed me home one evening.
I bet the sorry ass who stole your bike was just passing through & saw it, and took advantage of the opportunity, and your bike is still somewhere around in your city. I bet they think they can paint it, and ride it like they paid for it. Fool who took mine didn't paint it, or even change the license plate! Good luck Kawboy, I hope you get that call telling you to come get your bike. Post picture, and distinguishing characteristics so we can all help you look.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rogue_Biker said:

I agree with Rogue, Kawboy. It sure does suck:(, but maybe it's just God's plan:). Hope things look up for you soon. At least this way, you don't have to second guess your decision to keep the 9R.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DoubleAught said:
I feel your pain! I also had a bike stolen, a flawless ZX12 right out of my garage earlier this year. If it makes you feel any better, I got my bike back, 2 weeks later with minor damage which my insurance company took care of, so there is a chance. Interestingly enough, they recovered the bike almost 500 miles away at Mardi Gras. The moron who stole it was walking around with my pistol hanging out his back pocket. And this was a professional thief!
Came to find out that the guy who stole my bike had seen it at the street races, and must have followed me home one evening.
I bet the sorry ass who stole your bike was just passing through & saw it, and took advantage of the opportunity, and your bike is still somewhere around in your city. I bet they think they can paint it, and ride it like they paid for it. Fool who took mine didn't paint it, or even change the license plate! Good luck Kawboy, I hope you get that call telling you to come get your bike. Post picture, and distinguishing characteristics so we can all help you look.
Thanks "00"! I'm thinking the same thing. I was talking to a neighbor last night and he said he couldn't remember anything ever being stolen in the neighborhood and he has lived here for over 30 years. Who knows, I guess it will all work out.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Sorry to hear your loss Kawboy. I know how it feels :mad: from own experience.
I never got it back and it wasn't insured for theft :(

My advice is make sure all the shops in your area know that your bike was stolen (with all details possible) so that they might recognise the bike even if it was repainted, or parts of it if it was dismantled to be sold for parts.
There can't be so many ZX9 with big bore kits around!

Good luck!

Aris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine too

My GSX-R 600 was just recently taken from the parking lot of my workplace. My insurance company took about a month to give me a check. Your State Farm should be much faster service.

My insurance company grilled me with questions and generally made me feel like a criminal. I guess they have to determine if this was fraud, but they sure do ask you a lot of dumb questions. I also had to fill out a lot of paperwork, and yes if you had modifications done, send them copies of receipts. They gave me very close to the total money I spent on it, minus some deppreciation & miles. Overall I was happy, but if State Farm is anything like Progressive, they will raise your insurance. I was paying like $700 a year, and they almost doubled it for a 2002 gsx-r 750. Another company gave me $900 a year, so I know Progressive raised my rate although they claimed the will not.

New bike has alarm with pager, bike cover, brake lock, chained to a tree & sits in front of the receptionist desk in the brand new motorcycle parking space they created because of this theft. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
When you talk to State Farm make sure that you list anything that can add value to the bike...down to a new blinker bulb. They may not care, but it can help in their final decision on what you get from them. Too many people get screwed. Just because a bike has 1000 more miles than they think it should they feel they have the right to take 2-3K off what they give you. BE PUSHY!!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
DoubleAught said:
P. S. At least thirty days for a check.. They want to give it a chance to turn up.
Really sorry to hear it Kawboy...!!!!

Thirty days is typical in a theft situation.
I just lost my 6 month old Bandit 1200 in June
due to T.S. Allison along with my show truck.(in my garage, 3 ft. water)

Progressive offered $1000.00 aftermarket goodie coverage for free, but only gave me .50 cents
on the dollar for them even though they were only
2-3 months old, so, $1800.00 of stuff only got me back $900.00..:crying:

They did give me a fair amount for the
bike though...:D

P.S. you dont have to accept the first offer if you dont agree with it.....initially they offered
me $4750.00 for the truck (1991 Chevys value)
after I stopped laughing I told them to go back &
look at my policy (& pictures of the truck w/receipts). they came back about 4 times till
finally I settled for $17,000...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Suck!

Sorry about that Kawboy. :mad:

My husband's TL was stolen out of our apartment complex, and it was not a fun experience. McGraw is not an insurance company that wants to part with any money. What happened with us is that they required a police report. Okay, so we did that. You're lucky, Tempe police didn't even bother to come out to file the report. They did it all over the phone.

So, we sent them the report, and they came back with an offer of extreme low bluebook value, without any extra money for the modifications. It took a few months of negotiating, but he finally got them to cut a check for what the bike was worth, bone stock. Had he kept the receipts for all his modifications, he could have presented them and gotten his money back on those too.

So, if you have the receipts, copy them and send them in along with your police report. And don't take the insurance company's first offer, unless it's fair (fat chance). Keep hammering on them until you get the deal you want. After all, that's why you paid them in the first place.

P

·
0 Posts
Devil's Advocate

Why *should* the insurance company pay for modifications/add-ons if they weren't notified that the value of the bike had increased? And we all know why they weren't notified - because who wants to pay a higher premium?! ;)

I'm not really looking for an answer, but I think anyone that does get anything back from the insurance company for modifications/add-ons is *very* lucky.

Kawboy, let me add my regrets. That really does suck, and I hope everything works out well for you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Re: Mine too

Needa916 said:

New bike has alarm with pager, bike cover, brake lock, chained to a tree & sits in front of the receptionist desk in the brand new motorcycle parking space they created because of this theft. :)
That's Beautiful!!! That's the way to do it. It sux that it has to take a $#!t experience to get to that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My zx-7 was stolen

Definitley do not settle on their first offer:

Allstate told me how they come up with that figure:

They pay a service to look at ads from your reigon in the last six months for similar bikes. Scientific....? NOT.

They have appeals processes in place....aka: if you want more just keep asking. I got $50 more than what I told them I paid for the bike (which was $500 more than I really paid).

Timeline: stolen Memorial Day (late august), waited for it to show up for 4 weeks, arguing over repalcement check for about 3-4 weeks. Had the check deposited my mid-early November.

Get notarized statement to accompany receipts.
It's you versus the "replacement value" finder service!

BE PATIENT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts