Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is something I think newbies and vets would appreciate to hear. When i took the MSF a year ago, the first thing they started out the course with is "You Will Go Down!". At the time, i thought it was a negative way to introduce how to operate a motorcycle, but over time, I've found for it to be very realistic. It seems that everyone will fall off their bikes whether its just loosing balance, being reckless or going through a slow turn at 5mph. In the 1 year Ive been riding, Ive seen/heard some of my friends and riding buddies go down whether they were riding reckless or not and i always though, as long as Im paying attention, that will never happen to me!

Today I fell off my bike in the downtown portion of my hometown. I was doing maybe 10-15 mph before I got to a malfunctioning traffic intersection light where it was stop and go traffic. As I thought traffic was still going my way, the cars in the other intersection jumped from the line as if their light turned green suddenly! (we all know how bad inner city drivers are) I hit the brakes to avoid running into the intersection, but not too hard! Low and behold, plenty of oil residue was present on the ground of this high traffic area. My rear tire comes from under me and down I go! The rubber portion of my frame sliders was torn off but it saved my entire left fairing with no problems except my mirror. As far as myself, I had on full gear to include my jacket w/pads, helmet and gloves. Needless to say, I suffered no injuries but a minor scrape on my knee through my jeans. I got up, picked up my ego and my bike, and took off.

I just wanted to share this with everyone. This is my first crash in the 1 year Ive been riding sportbikes. No matter how experienced you are, you can go down just as easy as someone that is new to this two wheeled lifestyle. Most importantly, WEAR YOUR GEAR. I doubt I woulda suffered much, but Im sure I woulda had some nasty scrapes when I went down on my left arm if I didnt have my jacket on. A lady at McDonalds asked me why do I wear a jacket when its so hot outside. It was around 85 degrees at the time and very hot in full gear. Trying to look "cool" would have surely got me f'd up. Im glad I had it on!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for sharing man, it's good to hear you came out pretty much unscathed!

Do you know how much it's gonna cost to fix your bike?

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
hypnotizes said:
This is something I think newbies and vets would appreciate to hear. When i took the MSF a year ago, the first thing they started out the course with is "You Will Go Down!". At the time, i thought it was a negative way to introduce how to operate a motorcycle, but over time, I've found for it to be very realistic. It seems that everyone will fall off their bikes whether its just loosing balance, being reckless or going through a slow turn at 5mph. In the 1 year Ive been riding, Ive seen/heard some of my friends and riding buddies go down whether they were riding reckless or not and i always though, as long as Im paying attention, that will never happen to me!

Today I fell off my bike in the downtown portion of my hometown. I was doing maybe 10-15 mph before I got to a malfunctioning traffic intersection light where it was stop and go traffic. As I thought traffic was still going my way, the cars in the other intersection jumped from the line as if their light turned green suddenly! (we all know how bad inner city drivers are) I hit the brakes to avoid running into the intersection, but not too hard! Low and behold, plenty of oil residue was present on the ground of this high traffic area. My rear tire comes from under me and down I go! The rubber portion of my frame sliders was torn off but it saved my entire left fairing with no problems except my mirror. As far as myself, I had on full gear to include my jacket w/pads, helmet and gloves. Needless to say, I suffered no injuries but a minor scrape on my knee through my jeans. I got up, picked up my ego and my bike, and took off.

I just wanted to share this with everyone. This is my first crash in the 1 year Ive been riding sportbikes. No matter how experienced you are, you can go down just as easy as someone that is new to this two wheeled lifestyle. Most importantly, WEAR YOUR GEAR. I doubt I woulda suffered much, but Im sure I woulda had some nasty scrapes when I went down on my left arm if I didnt have my jacket on. A lady at McDonalds asked me why do I wear a jacket when its so hot outside. It was around 85 degrees at the time and very hot in full gear. Trying to look "cool" would have surely got me f'd up. Im glad I had it on!
It's a win. Glad you could share this with everyone. The gear is for a reason. You can buy more gear, and replace the bike. Can't replace you though.

Hope it all works out!

Take care...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trott said:
Thanks for sharing man, it's good to hear you came out pretty much unscathed!

Do you know how much it's gonna cost to fix your bike?
Since it was a low speed fall and i had frame sliders, the bike only fell on its left side. The left mirror was town off and the left rubber portion of the frame slider was taken off (not the bolted on portion). The bike itself is un scratched and runs good still. I think it should be inexpensive. Just new frame sliders and a new mirror.

The bike fell on its left side. I rode it home on street & expressway and it performed fine. Is there anything i should check for?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Leather is cheaper than skin grafts :)

I remember all the times I've picked up bikes; some mine, some not. It's definitely a huge ego hit. Especially for lady riders.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
chickonabike said:
Leather is cheaper than skin grafts :)

I remember all the times I've picked up bikes; some mine, some not. It's definitely a huge ego hit. Especially for lady riders.
Nah... ladies don't have testoserone. He did big here. I give him endless props.

Going down sucks for anyone. But males have bigger problems admitting things. That's why we have more "sudden heart attacks."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry if that got taken the wrong way, I wasn't inferring any lack of manhood to any of you.

It's hard for women to get on a bike in the first place. We naturally have something to prove because of that. Granted it's mostly to ourselves. But that doesn't change the defeat we feel when we fail, that is, when we drop our bikes.

I've often heard "Crashing separates those who like riding and those who love it". So mad props to pickin' up and riding on! Welcome to the confirmed members of the love it club!

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
chickonabike said:
Sorry if that got taken the wrong way, I wasn't inferring any lack of manhood to any of you.

It's hard for women to get on a bike in the first place. We naturally have something to prove because of that. Granted it's mostly to ourselves. But that doesn't change the defeat we feel when we fail, that is, when we drop our bikes.

I've often heard "Crashing separates those who like riding and those who love it". So mad props to pickin' up and riding on! Welcome to the confirmed members of the love it club!
Nah... not taken in the wrong way at all. Men typically have trouble admitting that they may have been wrong at anything. I have always enjoyed teaching women for this reason.

I fully understand the feeling that women sometimes feel that they have more to prove, but trust me, as a former instructor, no they don't. We all don't achieve goals, and as a result we set new ones. Males have more trouble admitting that they didn't achieve a goal... or that they met defeat. The original poster swallowed all pride and made an informative post. Props for sure.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
DanQ said:
Nah... not taken in the wrong way at all. Men typically have trouble admitting that they may have been wrong at anything.
I'm definitely in this crowd wrt riding. It takes a while for my head to wrap around an incident and really understand how I screwed the pooch.

hypnotizes, I'd recommend looking into Motovation sliders as they're pretty well regarded. Nice write-up and congrats on the proper outfit. I was asked a similar question and my response was actually, "Because I want to look cool." To me leather/lid/whatever is the definition of cool, as long as you're not wearing Hello Kitty-themed gear.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey nice, I love it when accidents only end up costing something like $25 :thumb: Sorta like my fall in May, except the fairing rash would bring the overall value down a little...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Good to see you & the bike came out that well. Now if you had been doing 20 or 40mph, then believe me it would be far more though when you are on the hwy or some strip of the road clocking, almost, three digets & the bike goes down. Well if the frame steering head did not bend & it was just plastic, to other things you could look at rebuidng he bike to be around half the price of a new one, if not more & your protective riding gear would have been basically for the dump to be replaced THAT is to say if you did not have to sped a few days in the hospital & possibly a number of days a bit disabled at home for broken bones with casts are a bit of a bummber, though knowing you will have to go in for a 4th operation.

True I have gone from your minor nothing to a bit extreme so you have the choice of what one you would rather have or better still none of them. Unfortunately we do not aim to have accidents even if the other is responsible. Unfortunately they can happen as legit as we are on the roads.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I suggest that you check out your rear set on the left to make sure it didn't bend or crack at all. Thanks for posting, I'm sure it will help someone who might consider not wearing their gear because it a little too hot for them. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sexie, how true. On Thursday I was comming into my home town from a 6.5 hr run up in the mountain roads, on my Honda 929, & yes it was cold enough to put on decent clothing even for the temp.

So here I was dressed in usual undergarments, Joe Rocket Ballistic jack with zip on liner (a small washbasin towel around my neck to keep the wind out & in the start I had a bandanna just below the nose & around the back of the neck to stop any possible fogging inside the helmet), T-shirt & medium sweat shirt, just my shorts along with the Joe Rocket Ballistic trousers (in mind I was telling myself I had best put on a pr of long leg cotton drawers next time if the same or cooler temp), Danner 'Fort Lewis' boots, FF Shoie helmet, with a good pair of AlpineStar gloves with gauntlets.

I note a chap I have never seen before on his HD with a maze of chrome on it, to note he has a pair of ankle like sneakers & no socks, pair of cut down jeans, & a shirt with sleeves cut half way, plus a beenie helmet------that was it. I just about flipped. Must have been a local or a prize fool. Yes no gloves!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Almost none of the cruiser crowd in my town wears any sort of gear, and if they are, they wear a dress leather vest of some sort. keep in mind that we don't have any helmet law yet so they don't even have the feeling of safety that a beanie might give. When a sportbike rider/squid rides by without gear on they sometimes comment on how he must be crazy to ride one of those things without a helmet. I have seen people with no gear riding in heavy rain. This time of year it gets colder to wear it is comfortable to wear your gear even when not moving at all, and would be cold at highway speed, but lots of bikers are out to ride scenic roads with autumn almost here, and still without gear.

The touring riders, mostly older people seam to wear the most, and best gear, and seam to have different sets for different types of weather.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Can be rather nippy in this area of the Canadian Rockie Mountins at this time of year & often the passes have snow on them to many of the lower mtns are touched by snow while ski slopes are feeling blessed with a bit of snow that melts away by the afternoon.

I like sleeping with my window open & now I can with a few decent blankets & comforter on as well.

Previously, like back in June, July & August I would fire up one of my bikes & start to roll at 7:30am to ride around for seven plus yours up in these mtn roads & yes that means higher altitude so cooler up there. Not the past week plus for it is more like 9:30am & note the other day I was wearing a lot plus even a bandanna to stop my helmet visor from fogging up. True on the way back I had the bandanna in my tank bag, but STILL wearing the small towel around my neck to act like a muffler to the breeze/cooler air for often I am clocking at a petty good clip.

As of '68 ALL Cdn riders across the nation had to wear proper helmets.

The leaves are chaning colour to my one tree in my yard is starting to shed its leaves due to the evening to morning temps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of your comments guys. Ive been riding almost everyday since then and Im pretty much over it but a lot more attentive to the road conditions and my bike.

Im in the south so its a lil crazy down here. We have helmet laws but I do agree, I never see cruisers in any gear. I may coast by a Harley with a rider with a beanie on, sneakers, short sleeve tshirt and jeans and he shakes his head at me while i pass him smoothly on my Gixxer 750 with full helmet and gear on. Weird huh? Maybe they dont go as down as much because of how their bikes are designed/rode vs. ours?

On the other hand, I saw the same type outfit on a guy riding a 'Busa. I dunno what to say!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts