Sportbike World banner

My 1st bike

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  photobug 
#1 ·
Well, I don't really know if it qualifies as a classic to some, but my first bike is a classic to me. I was fiftenn and it was a 1981 Kawasaki GPZ550. I picked it up from my neighbor who used it for edurance racing with WERA. It had progressive suspension, drop down bars, and Metzler ME33's whick were, at the time, THE tire to have. That bike really handled quite well. The brakes weren't the best and it sure took some work to get it turned in but I think it was a bike that was ahead of its time. It had 44,000 miles before it's life was ended prematurely by a Ford Granada but that's a whole other story. Someday I will get another one and restore it to its original beauty. If anyone has one I might be interested in taking a look at it.

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

Discussion starter · #11 ·
My buddy Doug had one of those Kanatunas when we were in high school. It sported a 1350cc(maybe 1400, i don't remember) motor built by Ferracci. That was the fastest bike I have ever had the chance to be aboard. It certainly was not what you would call a canyon carver but it sure was fun and looked damn good to boot! :)

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.