Sportbike World banner

My 1st bike

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  photobug 
Auger, I don't think a lot of people here even know what that bike looked like, since they weren't available in the U.S.

It was pretty cool, with its spacy styling, and that flip-up headlight. Underneath, however, it was very similar to the '83 GS750ES, which, coincidentally, was MY first sportbike, and the bike I started racing on way back in May of 1983.

I really enjoyed that bike. It was overshadowed by the Honda Interceptor that year, but I was never really a fan of that bike. I always felt my Suzuki had much cleaner styling, and it sounded like a real bike. ;)

I finished 2nd in two classes that year on the old Suzi', and 7th overall in the Phoenix Road Racing Organization (now CCS/SW). In addition, I also put over 36,000 street miles on the bike in the 3 years that I owned it.

Of all the bikes I've ever owned and sold, that's probably the one bike I kind of wish I still had.

But recently, I bought a little taste of that era... a bike that I always kind of lusted after --
A 1983 Suzuki XN85 Turbo 650.

I found this bike in very good shape, with only about 5,000 miles on it. It runs well, but the suspension is a little sacked out, so it's a little mushy. But it's cool! Even my 22-year-old nephew thinks it's cool, and he hates everything that's more than 5 years old!

It's very similar overall to my GS, but with more of the Katana-like style of Hans Muth. And of course, a turbo. Which, at the time I guess, was impressive when it came on. But by today's standards, it's not very awe-inspiring, but hey, I like it!

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.