Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what you guys use to polish your mufflers. I've got a matte finish muffler on my mike so i don't know if it's safe to use all those chrome polish deals. However i still want to bring out a deep gloss out of those tailpipes... any suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
mike_drz said:
I was just wondering what you guys use to polish your mufflers. I've got a matte finish muffler on my mike so i don't know if it's safe to use all those chrome polish deals. However i still want to bring out a deep gloss out of those tailpipes... any suggestions?
hmm.....I was going to suggest mother's mag metal polish...but not for a matte finish.

this metal care page might help

http://www.goddards.com/html/metalCareTips.htm

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If you mean it has a non-shiny aluminum finish, not painted (which is what I think when you say "matte"), Flitz polish is the best for any metal polishing. Not abrasive, you can use it on plexiglass with no scratches.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
if its a "matte" finish (meaning a painted surface with no clear coat), i would only reccomend washing it with soap and water like you would wash your bike. then dry with a chamois. by using chemicles or metal polishes it may start to remove some of the "matte" finish.

i have a D&D slip-on which has a black satin finish on the can. i only use soap/water to clean it when i wash the bike. and it comes out clean and shiney.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
haha, I started this thread almost a year ago. Better late than never. Yea I wasn't clear when i said matte. It's not painted it's just a dull metal finish. Not shiney, but still reflective... don't know if that makes sense... but seems like fusters got the idea. I've scratched the pipes up nicely ever since i first posted this. I'll give this flitz stuff a try thanks.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
so its a metal looking finish, just not polished mirror finish. thats an easy one. ANY metal polish will clean it up. now, if you want to turn it into a mirror finish you can always do the sanding method. or remove the pipe and take in to get polished with a buffing wheel and metal polish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts