Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it up to us what tyres we use or is it the gospel according to Pirelli again?

I heard it wasn't sorted out yet so I would guess we can use what we like at least for the first round????

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
What were you thinking of?

If that's the case, I've got a set of hardly used Barracuda's that have been on the old paddock basher the past few years out in the back shed I could send over?

Although I'd prob. stick with the Pirelli's myself....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking of

sticking to the very new but slightly knackered Metzeler RS2's fitted before last Sepang session.

Could have used them for pratice and qualifying on Saturday then onto your 'Barracuda's' for the race on Sunday.

Barracuda...doesn't sound much like a tyre to me. Are you sure its not more like something you eat with chips or perhaps some floral shorts Tug's Mrs would buy him for Xmas!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent

make sure you send the round ones, my square rims are still with Marchesini

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Bollocks Dave

a nice set of TT100's is what you need Boycie

They never loose traction cos they aint got any.
They never wear out cos they're harder than tarmac.
One size fits all just get bigger tyre levers
Oh and you won't feel that farkin braking vibration any more
cos your arms will be numb after 2 laps.

I always found it strange that a company that sent ladies knockin on doors floggin cosmetics ( bing bong it's the avon lady)would make bike tyres:cool:

·
Registered
560 Posts
According to Classic understand it is pretty safe to say that the Pirelli deal is done, and that other tyre brands are not allowed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So How?

Does that mean we can turn up and practice on anything on Saturday?

I'm hoping to switch after qualifying.

·
Registered
642 Posts
New Boots

I hear that no deal is in place yet, but discussions are ongoing.

Even if the tyre sponsor is announced, remember that this will take effect from Race 1.

In other words, we will be able to practice and qualify using whatever tyres are on yr rims currently and then change them in advance of the first race.

Gonna be a busy Saturday afternoon for the tyre fitters, I can see that already

I'll follow up and get back with a further update.

·
Registered
642 Posts
ROLL UP, ROLL UP THE PIRELLI DEAL IS ON

Just had confirmation earlier this arver that Pirelli are confirned as the sponsor for the MSS. Participants will therefore be required to be race shod with Pirelli tyres.

Please note that for the first meet you will NOT need to surrender a set of Pirellis to qualify for the discounted rates. For the subsequent race weekends you will however need to return a worn set of Pirelli tyres.

Each rider will be eligible for one set of tyres per race weekend at the discounted rates. Subsequent sets can be purchased but these will be at full price. Not forgetting of course, that the agreement is that each rider can only use a single set of tyres for both Race 1 and 2.

So what do they cost without the duty...I'm told 790 Ringgit but don't know if that includes fitting and balancing.

No point calling me with any further questions coz thats all i've got for now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The price for the tyres is RM780 and it is not limited to your first set. You will have to pay full price (whatever that is at the moment) if you don't have a set of SuperCorsas to hand in and will get the rebate when you return carcasses.

Pirelli will be there on Saturday morning from 9:30am and this time they will (they promise) have an electronic balancer which should speed things up considerably.

However as BC stated, riders must use the same set of tyres for Race 1 & 2- try not to get a puncture.:(
more info...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've heard some people say that we would not get the discounted price the coming race weekend even if we do have an old set of pirellis to "trade in". I'm assuming we will.

MSS37 - could you confirm this please?

·
Registered
642 Posts
From speaking with Jeff I hear that we will be eligible for the discounted set irres[ective of whether you surrender a pair of knackered Pirellis or not.

I'm checking this further but at the stage the moraleof the story is that if you have old Supercorsas and can take them in, please do....

I'll revert more when get next update tomorrow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've heard some people say that we would not get the discounted price the coming race weekend even if we do have an old set of pirellis to "trade in". I'm assuming we will.

MSS37 - could you confirm this please?
According to Ti of Pirelli, he has assured me numberous times that this will be fine.

The new article (the link of which I posted above) was checked with Ti of Pirelli to ensure it was accurate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ahmad wanted Pirelli to scrap away the need for a deposit but I don't think that Ti wanted to be stuck with looking for a buch of Used SuperCorsas to be re-exported when we didn't hand it the old ones. Can't blame him really.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yr need yr old boots

Thks Johan.

Regret to confirm that we will be required to surrender a set of Pirelli's to be eligible for the discounted price.

So the morale of the story for those of us that don't have a set of Pirelli's on currently, or that aren't able to lay our hands on some spent Pirellis is probably to fit a new set here in Singapore from Joe for round one so that we can take advantage of the discounted prices subsequently.

GCW

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Bing!

Like Kramer and his recycled bottles road trip, I have a fiendish plan. I happen to have a shed/shitload of knackered SC1 and 2's.

So what we do is........................... :twofinger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts