Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm slightly new to the forum and this is my first post. Just wanted to say whats up, and that I just signed up for the MSF course for May 13-16. I can't wait to finally get off the sidelines and start riding. I've been wanting to sign up since a year and a half ago, so this is an awesome feeling. I just got some over ankle boots and i'm borrowing a pair of riding gloves from a friend. Anyway, just wanted to share. My name is Matt and i'm 21 and a student at fsu. Have a happy day :)

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Welcome to the site, and to the addiction! :hello:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Good start & the MSF Course is going to be fun & lots to learn to even a challenge for you will be on two wheels though probably smaller, lighter & less power then your first bike will be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
w00t! I can't wait. I've riden before. My friend had a 86 rebel that I "learned" on. I would ride back and forth in a parking lot, but just doing that was great. anyway, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but what kinda shoes can I wear for the MSF course? Can I wear just casual sneakers, steel toe boots...?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to walmart and found a pair of over ankle boots on sale for $1.90. They actually pretty nice, and I think it was a mistake that they were so cheap. Most of the others were around 17 or 20.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Stay away from bulky steel toes for it will hamper your ability to shift gears.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Just a set of inexpensive work boots will do the job, or look at a pair of sneakers that reach up high enough to cover the ankle joint/bone. If they happen to say directly to you they are REALLY not good enough for normal riding just say you understand that & a set of proper boots are on their way from a shop.

After all even a pulled on boot will be accepted by them as safe. If they are Cruiser/Harley riders they probably have nothing more then a pull-on boot. They have been the fad since late 40s for HD riders. Were called "Engineers Boots" & now are the fad only more cheapily made in China.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Christoff said:
Finally scheduled myself in for June 23rd. Two thursdays and saturdays

:D :D
Wow, I can't believe how far in advance you guys have to book for these courses. I booked mine about a week in advance.

We have lots of places that run courses, including several bike shops.

Having to wait so long must make it hard for those wanting to learn to ride safely.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Today I completed the MSF course! To be honest with you, it was a challenge since I'm a true new rider having no experience on two wheels whatsoever. Alot of the folks in my class had dirt bike experience, and at times I looked like a total fool compared to these guys. Riding dirt helps ALOT. Initially I wanted a 600, maybe an F3 or an F4. That has all changed. I now realize there is a lot more to riding sportbikes than having a clear head and maturity. Braking is tricky. Throttle control is tricky. And staying balanced on 2 wheels is also tricky. I'm settling for a Kawasaki 250 for now.

P.S.

Anyone have trouble doing the figure 8's in that enclosed square during MSF? I couldn't get it down no matter how I tried.

21 points of mistakes were allowed to pass. I got 17 points. Narrow escape. I need some practice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good job on getting through the MSF. Sounds like you have a level head by getting something smaller to start out on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts