Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay me, I just passed the MSF course!

I suggest that every beginning rider take it! If not for any other reason, then take it for fun. And make no mistake, fun it is! Before this, I never rode a motorcycle. I sat on some, but never rode one. So obviously, my motorcycling skills were, as much as i would have wished otherwise, non-existant. MSF showed me, step by step, all the basics, from the beginning. We started with pointing all the controls out... clutch, front brake, throttle, kill switch, turn signals, horn, shitf lever, read brake, fuel valve, etc. It started out very basic, but soon got into some good riding. Soon, we were doing all sorts of S-turns, weaving between cones, doing power stops, practicing wheelies (just kidding about that last one :p )! They gave me all the brain-tools that I need to survive in traffic. What they taught is not easily learned on your own, so I don't recomend blowing it off. So, besides learning how to ride a motorcycle, I had a shitload of fun!! It was a two day thing, and after the first day, I could hardly sleep, cuz I was looking foreward to the second day so much!

So there's my little praise of the course. Oh... also, you get insurance discounts, and they told me that some shops give discounts on gear if you took the MSF. So if you're new, you DEFINETELY have to take it, no question about it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unas_the_Slayer said:
Not every insurance provider gives discounts.
Originally verbalised by Brian (MSF RiderCoach)
If your insurance doesn't give discounts for this, then find a new company.
Sure, some might not, but don't most?

·
Registered
860 Posts
lateott_156 said:

I know Sentry Dairly Land does. They also give a discount for an alarm system and being part of a club. I think AMA will get you a discount as well as some dealer sponsered groups. Congrats on passing your course! I think I will be taking one this spring , just for a refresher.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Good to hear some praise for the MSF & the instructor.

Also agree that it is really a sort of god-send & this is coming from one of the old farts that learned it ALL the HARDWAY for there was no such thing in the late 40s or early 50s.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got to my class march 31st 06. I cannot wait! every one I know has taken it and they say its the best thing they did for the basic skills that they needed...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I thought it was a good course too,

the one thing that i felt was annoying in hindsight was...

how they teach you about sitting on the bike and getting off the bike...like "use the brake each time you mount the bike" and they seem to have a set ritual of exactly how to run through the starting sequence. In hindsight, this is pretty stupid because you can sit on and start your bike however you want to. Soon after I finished the course I found myself intentionally shuffling their starting sequence just because I felt like it :D

Not to discount the program, but this just annoyed me. ;)

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
lateott_156 said:
No. None in my area offer a discount that I could find. Or, at least, the discount never offset the difference in cost. But I really don't recall finding an insurer that even knew what the MSF was, much less gave a discount.

·
Registered
51 Posts
kanwisch said:
No. None in my area offer a discount that I could find. Or, at least, the discount never offset the difference in cost. But I really don't recall finding an insurer that even knew what the MSF was, much less gave a discount.
Not sure about the local companies, but geico and progressive do offer MSF discounts.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The locals here (at least the ones i've checked) offer discounts, and also like drgreenthum said, the big companies do. For all the online-quotes i've gotten, they all asked me if i took the MSF course in their questionaire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts