Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken this course. The chief instructor in my area is not here right now and I was wondering how it differed from the other courses.(ie:time in class, time on bike, etc.)Any input would be appreciated.:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am actually taking the course this weekend. I had to sign up 2 months in advance just to get a spot! Anyways, I have to show up on Thursday 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm and then 8:00 am - 5:30 pm on Saturday and Sunday. I'll let you know what I learned and how it is after I've taken it. I am really looking forward to it since I havn't been able to ride my bike for a week due to maintance stuff. I am getting withdrawls... :D

Hermann

·
Registered
938 Posts
Are you referring to the MSF rider course or the MSF instructors course which teaches the instructors how to instruct?

I just completed the MSF rider course 1 month ago. I had been trying to take it all summer and finally got in for the last seesion of the year.

The first session was 6-10pm on a Wednesday and was all classroom. The course is taught as if you have never been on a bike before, so it may seem elementary to those that have ridden.

Saturday was 8-5:30. The first 6 hours were all riding. Again, this is taught as though you have never been on a bike before. So, quite a bit of time is spent getting familiar with the bike, controls etc. The rest of the riding time during this day was spent doing turns, stopping, starting, weaving a slalom, using signals, body posture etc. We then went back to the classroom to review the days exercises and prepare for Sundays class.

Sunday was again 8-5:30. The first 4 hours were spent riding again. This time the focus is on more advanced riding skills. Stopping quickly (locking the rear wheel was fun), obstacle avoidance, obstacle surmounting (we rode over 2x4's), more turning and slaloms. The next 2 hours were spent on testing of the riding skills you have learned. Basically, you repeat the exercises of the day while being timed and examined for proper riding posture, head movement, smoothness of control...etc. Then it's back to the classroom to take a written test. Once everyone completes the test, scores are given out and the test is reviewed.

Overall, I would say it's an excellent course. Like I said though, it is geared toward those that have never ridden before and can seem too elementary to the experienced at times.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to be an instructor. Been through the other courses.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I1aCBR said:
Are you referring to the MSF rider course or the MSF instructors course which teaches the instructors how to instruct?

I just completed the MSF rider course 1 month ago. I had been trying to take it all summer and finally got in for the last seesion of the year.

The first session was 6-10pm on a Wednesday and was all classroom. The course is taught as if you have never been on a bike before, so it may seem elementary to those that have ridden.

Saturday was 8-5:30. The first 6 hours were all riding. Again, this is taught as though you have never been on a bike before. So, quite a bit of time is spent getting familiar with the bike, controls etc. The rest of the riding time during this day was spent doing turns, stopping, starting, weaving a slalom, using signals, body posture etc. We then went back to the classroom to review the days exercises and prepare for Sundays class.

Sunday was again 8-5:30. The first 4 hours were spent riding again. This time the focus is on more advanced riding skills. Stopping quickly (locking the rear wheel was fun), obstacle avoidance, obstacle surmounting (we rode over 2x4's), more turning and slaloms. The next 2 hours were spent on testing of the riding skills you have learned. Basically, you repeat the exercises of the day while being timed and examined for proper riding posture, head movement, smoothness of control...etc. Then it's back to the classroom to take a written test. Once everyone completes the test, scores are given out and the test is reviewed.

Overall, I would say it's an excellent course. Like I said though, it is geared toward those that have never ridden before and can seem too elementary to the experienced at times.

Thanks, Si-lo might not have wanted the info but did I did :D :D

·
Registered
938 Posts
That's what I was hoping.

The_CB_Kid said:

Thanks, Si-lo might not have wanted the info but did I did :D :D
About halfway through typing that long response, I began to wonder which course he was talking about and thought about stopping. I decided even if he didn't need the info. someone might.

Glad I could help.

CB...If you are thinking about taking the class next year, I would suggest signing up for it as soon as possible. The classes, at least those in Cincinnati, fill up fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Took me nearly 6 months to get into a class in Georgia. So yes, sign up early. I found it a helpful review class since I'd been away from motorcycles for awhile.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I will be attending the course here in Phoenix Jan-Feb (weekends). Here there seems to be a shortage of instructors, and T.E.A.M Arizona runs a course at least once a year. I got the Air Force to pay for my class and pay for my time there, as I will be an instructor both on base and for T.E.A.M. Arizona. So to the topic I hear they are real strict on the course. That is the criteria for passing the course is tightened up, but if you have taken courses from them before you should have no problem passing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm having the Air Force pay for my course also but it looks like I'll be going to Randolph. Big shortage here also. :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Si-lo

You are coming here to San Antonio? Or do you already live here? I did not know that the base taught the instructors course. I know that it is taught in San Marcos and in Austin and cost $100 to attend and you have to volunteer 2 classes before you can actually attend the school. They say that Texas is hurting for instructors and that you will make your money back within 1 month, by teaching. I m interested in becoming an instructor, but have to wait for the money to come available - like after the holidays.

If you want to go ride the Hill Country, just give me a holler. I did 210 miles today up in the Vanderpool area.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't live in Tx. anymore. They cancelled the class in San Antonio. The safety guy here said the next class they are able to get me in will be in March. I was a little disappointed until they told me it was in Key West Florida. I come to Austin and Houston every so often and maybe we could hook up sometime.
:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts