Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two Sundays back, my wife and I were headed into the mountains north of Atlanta and I had a real Mr Toad Experience. I have been breaking the wife into the idea that I am getting a bike... and sort of aquainting her with the differences between sport bikes and cruisers. Up GA 400 I pointed out the differences between each bike coming our way (See, that's another cruiser (spit). Look! Look! Here comes another beautiful sport bike (Huge grin)). Yep. Un-huh. Un-huh.

Well, I played that game all through the flat land and when we turned onto the 2-lane US 19 I pulled us into the gas station and, lo and behold, there were six sport bikers, all leathered up; topping off. We finished first and hit the road ahead of them and, pulling out, I was twisting and turning in the seat like a little kid, "That's a Ninja! Oooh look, a GIXER!" and so on.

Anyway... I figure they are probably going the other way (my general luck) and began to concentrate on my own thing. We have a VW Jetta with a 5spd and V6, so it likes to do "carving" in its own way and I am hanging it out till, of course, we catch up to an old fart in a huge brand new Caddy going around the curves at about 5 mph. That puts a cork in the carving but I figure soon this guy is going to pull off because of all the traffic he is holding up behind us. WRONG! Mile after mile this guy blocks everything. (My wife senses the building frustration and decides its a good time to field strip the SIG. :rolleyes: )

Then I notice that slow but sure, the six sport bikes we left behind are working their way up to me and "Old Fart". Soon, it's him, me and six bikes. Well, I've been riding this guy's bumper, waiting for a hole big enough to punch through, for what seems like a 100 miles (probably 10 or so), but I figure maybe it's time to leave a space big enough for the bikes to land between us because they can get past him a hell of a lot easier than I can. Anyway, I back off about 50 yards from him, start hugging the right shoulder and try to communicate with the lead bike via some rudimentry hand signals (not yet, not yet, not yet...) so he knows for sure that I see him.

Then it happens... we pop around a sharp right and there is at least 200-300 yards of clear straight road ahead. I do the old "Forward Hoooo!!" arm signal and the bikes just explode around, not just me, but him too! Waa..Waa....Waaa... Waa.. Waa... Waa... The short straight ends in a good left and the lead guy just leans it over and sweeps through... then five more do the same thing and they are ...gone. I let out a Rebel Yell that scares hell out of my wife.

By damn! Just watching that made me roar! That has to be the finest thing short of flying. I gotta get some of that! :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Word of Advice...

If your wife is not especially warm to the idea of you riding a bike, letting out a rebel yell when they start tearing it up on the road may not be the best way to go about it. ;)

But we all know how you feel! :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
it is exciting

for sure...

but it takes time before you can do stuff like that if you havent much seat time...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ok. I am leaving work early and going to ride! I agree with CBRbrutha. Great post!

My ex-GF could never understand why I got so excited everytime I heard/saw a bike go by, or why I can seem to spend endless amounts of time and money on my bike, watching racing, etc.

Oh well, now I can spend my time looking for a woman who will not only understand, but maybe wnat to ride as well!.

·
Registered
74 Posts
exactly

Nice thread...the way I see it, riding a sport bike is the closest thing to absolute freedom I will ever know. Especially in these times its great to turn off the news throw on the gear and take a nice long ride. One of those rides where you feel like nothing and the world could bring you down...(or catch you :D )

CBRrider

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ditto

Great thread! I'm the same way! If I'm outside and hear an HD go by, big deal. They're a dime a dozen around here. But if I hear a sportbike coming down the road, I make a special effort to get a view to see what it is! Then when it passes, I just smile and say, "Kewl!" :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Joss said:

Then it happens... we pop around a sharp right and there is at least 200-300 yards of clear straight road ahead. I do the old "Forward Hoooo!!" arm signal and the bikes just explode around, not just me, but him too! Waa..Waa....Waaa... Waa.. Waa... Waa... The short straight ends in a good left and the lead guy just leans it over and sweeps through... then five more do the same thing and they are ...gone. I let out a Rebel Yell that scares hell out of my wife.
A couple of phrases come to mind:

1. "Who's Yo Daddy"
2. "That's what I'm talkin about!"
3. "Get-Some!"
4. "How You Like Me Now?"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Important Safety Tip: If you buy a sportbike without the little missus's approval, you better hide her SIG :hurl:

I highly recommend the Yamaha R6, (is my bias showing?:eek: )

:D :) :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Totally know what you're talking about...

I hear ya Joss. That is something I did every day I was on the road. I would go "BIKE! GIXXER! 929!" and my girlfriend would say, "Oh dear." I have a similar experience watching some guys pop wheelies at 80mph on the freeway while in my CRX. I was like "Man! I wish I was out there with them instead of in this cage."

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the same experience with my girlfriend cdegough, but I think I have been doing it long enough so that she is starting to pick up on the different types of bikes. Even different paint schemes for the different manufacturers. Recently she impressed some friends in Davis (a guy with a GSXR1000) by telling him all of the possible stock color combo's for that bike. I think it's rubbing off on her.
Another fun thing to do is make engine noises while walking through hallways or up and down stairs at work. Some people don't understand.....oh well. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wet Shrub said:
she is starting to pick up on the different types of bikes. Even different paint schemes for the different manufacturers
My girlfriend does that too sometimes. She only cares about the colors though. Specs are meaningless. Wish I could get her to like them and like riding them, so she'd go with me places. As of now, she's scared stiff.

·
Registered
205 Posts
We have talked about her taking an MSF course so that just in case we are out riding together, something happens and she ABSOLUTELY needs to ride the bike back then she will have some vague idea of how to do it. Or if she is at home and ABSOLUTELY needs to move the bike for what ever reason, then she will know what to expect. Of course, secretly I hope she develops a liking for riding and decides to get something small and fun to poke around on. I'd buy it for her if she would ride it. I think I am going to give her a gift Cert. for an MSF course for x-mas. Her best friends parents are giving that gift so they could take the course together.
If you want to instill confidence in your woman. Don't tell her about close calls, or how fast you go. Will only freak her out. Tell her that you won't break the sound barrier if she is on the back. Or give her a trial run through the parking lot and see if she is ok with that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a fairly close description, Mad Kaw. :twofinger

Thanks for the kind comments, folks. I'm glad it came out in a way that you could kind of see it/feel it too.

Thanks for the words of advise too:

Spiderman on marital diplomacy ;)
Slow Rat on seat time
thothscribe on passion management :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts