Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm moving to Goodyear AZ in about a month. I have never been to to AZ but am very excited. My wife and I might look into an aparment in Phoenix, but for now we have a place to stay in Goodyear. We are from DC and are used to going to hardcore shows(hatebreed, American Nightmare, Stretch Armstrong, ect), is there any place out there to catch good shows? Also, are there any good non-denomational Christian churches? What is the riding like? I have an Aprilia Mille. Are the police tuogh on sportbikers? Whats the closest dragracing and road racing track? Thanks alot, I'm finally geting away from the cold weather I hate. Oh yea, I need a job too, hows the economy? HAVE A BLESSED DAY!! Joe

·
Registered
230 Posts
Stay away from living in phoenix, it sucks. Cricket Pavilion normaly holds really good concerts with all types of shows. Sorry can't help you on the church part. The ridings good. Could be better but it's good. Police hate sportbikers here. Closeset drag strip is speedworld. Closest road track is firebird raceway. The economy here is much like it is anywhere else right now, slow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Everything Tigger said except the part about Phoenix sucking.
I live in an apartment in North Cental Phoenix and I love it.
Freeways are close, yet still there's hiking 5 minutes away.(Squaw Peak - Dreamy Draw park). It's a nice balance.
Of course, it all depends where exactly in Phoenix you end up living.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I moved to Phoenix 3 years ago from DC and I will NEVER EVER GO BACK TO THAT SHITHOLE OF A CITY!!!!

Phoenix rocks in comparison. If you can suffer through the oppressive summer, the rest of the year is so worth it...!!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I live around 31st ave. and Yorkshire Dr. Seeing how I came from small midwest college town, Phoenix just sucks to me. But hey, everyones got a view right.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tigger, you mean Phx just sucks period, or do you think something like Mesa or Chandler is a better place to live? I'm just curious. I came from a small midwest college town too, Carbondale, IL.

Oh yeah, I should mention.... in the summertime it really does suck. (but the other 7 months are great ;) )

·
Registered
230 Posts
Phoenix in general. Yeah summer sucks and the rest of the year is enjoyable. Compared to places like DC or Detroit, Phoenix isn't half bad. But I live down here as a student so I see alotta crap most people don't. The theft rate on bikes is way high, and a few buds got killed. *taken out on their bikes by cars* Phoenix isn't a major hole like DC but all my bad luck has kinda turned me aganst it. No offence ment to anyone from the previous posts of course.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can understand that. I agree, bike theft here is really bad (i worry everynight if i'll wake up in the morning to find my bike gone). And anytime you lose a friend (or friends) in a bike vs. cage accident, it brings the level of overall sucky-ness up a bit. But as you said, it could be worse.. no offense of course, but I could never live somewhere like Detroit or DC. :barf:

I just try to really enjoy the good months here and hold on to those memories when it's 115 degrees outside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. It looks like I am going to MMI to formaly train on motorcycles. Man, it's expensive. Anyway, I thing we will be living in Goodyear for a while. I would really like to get an apartment in Phoenix. Whats the rent look like for a decent 2 bedroom apartment? I found out there are Vineyard churches real close. Thats perfect. Are there any spots where you can run flat out and not worry about the police? Thanks again. HAVE A BLESSED DAY!! Joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good luck on the move! I decided this year to make a move as well. From Yakima WA to Huntington Beach CA. I can't stand the cold and snow we get every year up here. Yuck! In fact, I leave tomorrow on my Kawasaki for the 1500 mile trip! Woo Hoo!

Once again, Good luck!

-jon

·
Registered
230 Posts
What classes are you taking at MMI ? I graduated from that place in april. Anthem isn't to far away from the school and its a really nice place. However its kinda pricey to live there. Good luck bro.

No offense taken Twist. I came from a southern Ohio town but I've spent time in some major holes. DC and Detroit just happen to be memorable ones for some reason.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Huh? Anthem is about a 45+ minute drive from MMI. Close? Not really. :confused:

Here's my experience:

Don't get an apartment without a garage. Otherwise chances are better than good that your bike will be stolen. Even if you get a gated apartment complex!!!!!!!!

Don't get a place near MMI. It's in a pretty crappy neighborhood

Your commute from Goodyear will be long with lots of traffic

Drivers out here are pretty bad, but not compared to DC. If you ride defensively your chances are very good for not having a problem. In my 3+ years of riding out here, I've yet to lose anyone I ride with.

Same goes for the police. If you ride fast or stunt in traffic, of course cops are going to be assholes. I've commuted a lot on my bike and have never been harrassed. Just make sure you do your "hooliganing" outside of the city and you should be fine.

There are two dragstrips in Phoenix that are in regular use: Speedworld in NW Phoenix and Firebird Intl. Raceway south of Phoenix. There is only one roadcourse that is currently used for motorcycles, at Firebird. PIR inside is too expensive and too dangerous. Both these tracks are used for cars though. There's another track being built in West Phoenix that will open next December.

It takes at least an hour (from Goodyear) to get to most good twisties. Once there, it's great but it seems like forever doing the straight line thing to get to them.

We don't get as many concerts as a major city like DC, but there's always something going on. There are tons of venues here.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went to MMI for two years. Yes the schools in a crappy neighborhood. But Anthem is no farther than goodyear. I had two class buds and one instructor who live in anthem. The make it to class in 20 to 30 minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I live in Goodyear and have had no problems whatsoever(even accidently left garage open all nite)(i was more than a little drunk too)the 101 has made commuting ez to wherever i wanted to go and the 10 is right there so......hell i made to chandler in 40 mins
yes some of the good rides are far out in a staight line but that just makes you appreciate the twisties that much more

jus my :2cents:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts