Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is how it should be.

I just got back from a short ride. It was cut REALLY short because as I got off the freeway and hit a stop light, my engine stalled and I couldn't get it started again. All symptoms say that the battery was drained so, here goes another $60.

I was stranded roadside for about half an hour. One guy with a truck pulls over and he says to me, "I think you're out of gas". Umm, no. I just filled up. He didn't know anything about motorcycles but I thanked him for stopping by and off he went.

Another guy stopped by (in a car) and said that he has a few motorcycles in the garage and he knows what I'm going through, or at least can relate. All he could do was offer to use his cell, but I never leave home (at least on my bikes) without it. So, I thanked him and off he went.

About 5 minutes later, an "old fart" (as he referred to himself) stops by on an old Lavender BMW and offers some assistance. I asked if he had jumper cables. Yep, indeed. I asked if he had a 10mm wrench. Yep, he did. 5 minutes of fiddling around and I got my bike revved up and ready to go.

If you monitor this forum/thread, Doug, thanks again and I REALLY appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,373 Posts
Yeah, you were pretty suprised I had all that stuff in my bike. Glad to see you made it home ok.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
925 Posts
Good to see these threads popping up. Personally, everytime I`ve saw a bike off to the side of the road, I have pulled over and asked if they were alright, and they always are, but atleast I try. I can`t say anyone has ever stopped for me, 'cause I`ve never been stranded *knock on wood*, but I would hope someone would.

Sorta off topic, but you`d think since its finally getting warm out (today it was 79 when I rode passed the banks big sign at like 6:45), the riders would be happy to be out, and be happy to see other bikes out, but I swear for every 5 bikes I throw a wave to, I get maybe 2 in return. Ah well :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
Yeah, A few of us were out riding tonight. One of the members in our club just picked up her new 600rr and we were out for a ride just trying to add some miles on it.

We were riding to one of the usual spots to meet up with some friends when we saw a stranded rider on the other side of the road (on a divided highway.) Our small group rode up to the next exit and headed back down the highway in the opposite direction to see if we could give the guy some help.

By the time we had arrived in the spot were we had saw the rider and his bike he was gone. The bike remained sitting on the road, but the rider had vanished.

I always stop whenever I see another motorcyclist sitting on the side of the road. I think it is just something we (or at least most of us) do. I know if I was stranded on the road I would want and hope someone would stop for me. Doesn't matter to me if it is a sportbike, a cruiser, a hog, whatever... If it is a motocyclist stranded I am stopping.:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I read through this and decided I would give the local harley guys a second chance and would throw some waves out. (I quit about half way through last summer when at a stop light on a beautiful saturday morning, a guy pulled up next to me and I looked over as he looked my bike up and down and I said "great day for riding", the prick turns his head and looks away. Well apparently nothing has changed....they are still too good to send a friendly wave back. I'll stop and help anybody without a HD emblem....fukkin A holes. Who do they think they are.

For reference this is coming out of minneapolis, mn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
bridomine99 said:
I read through this and decided I would give the local harley guys a second chance and would throw some waves out. (I quit about half way through last summer when at a stop light on a beautiful saturday morning, a guy pulled up next to me and I looked over as he looked my bike up and down and I said "great day for riding", the prick turns his head and looks away. Well apparently nothing has changed....they are still too good to send a friendly wave back. I'll stop and help anybody without a HD emblem....fukkin A holes. Who do they think they are.

For reference this is coming out of minneapolis, mn.
Still, you shouldn't stereotype. I know a lot of really good folks that ride HDs. It is really the mentality of the rider, not the choice in bikes that make some riders not-so-sociable.

Give each rider a chance. If you wave at them and they don't wave back... Not your loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
o|||||||o said:
Still, you shouldn't stereotype. I know a lot of really good folks that ride HDs. It is really the mentality of the rider, not the choice in bikes that make some riders not-so-sociable.

Give each rider a chance. If you wave at them and they don't wave back... Not your loss.
About half the friends I ride with are H-D riders... We all share a little ribbing now and then but it's all in fun. We get some pretty mixed comments when we all show up somewhere... Daytona a couple of years ago was pretty funny...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Yeah.....I agree with everyone. I just have trouble with passing by a group of ten bikes and not one of them waves. This happend 4 or 5 times yesterday. Hence my comments above. This topic has been beaten to death and the fact of the matter is the HD guys are allways on the bad end of it. I think we can pretty much rule out that it has been coincidence that the non wavers are hd guys and gals.

This is almost as bad as the cop that I passed at 8mph heading through the downtown area of a small river town up here and waved to as we passed. We stopped at a light about 50 yards up and the guy pulls up and yells out his window (i was 3 ft away), "put your shields down". ( I had my helmet visor up, again 8mph)

Honestly, are all these guys really that insecure with themselves that they can't quit with the tough guy deal for a few min a day. Saturday night, 70 degrees, no wind, absolutly perfect out......personally I was just happy to be riding my cycle. There are alot of guys and gals in some really shity places around the world defending our freedom that would proably give anything for a night riding. Why don't all you unfriendly riders stick that attitude right up your axses.


Just my :2cents:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
I am starting to think there are two kinds of HD riders. The ones that just have to be riding something american, and have been riding forever and a half. Those guys are cool, why they like their bikes is beyound me, but I ride with them when I can. Most of them admit that harleys suck, yet ride them anyway.
Then there is the kind that spend 20k on their bikes and cant ride them to save their life. They are pissed off at paying too much money for a lousy bike, and seing one of us just reminds them of it. Seing one of us wave i like seing someone remind you that you got riped off for 10k. no wonder they dont wave.

As for the open visor story, i used to ride with mine open till about 50mph. That was untill this saturday when i cought a bee in my eye at less then 30mph. the sucker went in stinger first, and exploded on my face. i had about 20 minutes to get of the street and stop as i felt my eyes swelling shut. Never riding without my visor again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Vash said:
I am starting to think there are two kinds of HD riders. The ones that just have to be riding something american, and have been riding forever and a half. Those guys are cool, why they like their bikes is beyound me, but I ride with them when I can. Most of them admit that harleys suck, yet ride them anyway.
Then there is the kind that spend 20k on their bikes and cant ride them to save their life. They are pissed off at paying too much money for a lousy bike, and seing one of us just reminds them of it. Seing one of us wave i like seing someone remind you that you got riped off for 10k. no wonder they dont wave.
I could be wrong, but I think there is an inherant (sp?) attitude that goes with the whole "hog" thing. This even expands to metric cruisers. After all, we have movies from the past with motor cycle gangs - on what? Cruisers. I know, that is all they had then, but the image lives on. Fonzie from the 70s show Happy Days. He was too cool to be friendly. I think this is part of the issue is being so cool - look at them - most of them are too cool to wear one piece of safety gear. A lot like the squids, they don't want their cool ruined.

Also in regards to the high dollar bikes and the guys who don't quite know how to ride them - they are likely to be the most friendly I'd think. They are trying to fit and image, yet are not a part of that culture. I know a few guys who fit that catagory, and they are very cool guys. They should have bought a metric cruiser and a sports bike for the money they spent on that leaky piece of steel.

On a side note, I just bought a Honda 1100 Shadow Spirit. It is for my wife, since she has never really gotten over being nervous on the FZ6. Personally, I have a harder time on the Honda, but it seems very much a taste and style thing. Still, riding her bike around town yesterday I had a lot of different looks. For example, a kid was excited to see the bike, and the Mom came over and talked to me for a minute. I've seen parents look afraid for their life when kids want to look the FZ6.

In the end, I don't think you can truly ever say "everyone" or "all the time" and be fair. But it does seem sad when you see people out there riding a bike and they seem to have a sour attitude. I ride my bike to get rid of the sour attitude. Instant high!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top