Advertisement

Get free headlines by e-mail
Get text alerts on your cell phone
Get The Detroit News on your PDA

Printer friendly version
Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery
A crash on Telegraph Road in Monroe County claimed the life of a 20-year-old motorcycle rider this morning.

According to the Monroe County Sheriff's Department, Michael F. Knapp of Carlton died after his 2001 Honda 900 cc motorcycle ran off northbound Telegraph Road in Ash Township at about 1:45 a.m. Knapp's motorcycle ran off the west side of the roadway and hit a ditch, which caused the motorcycle to become airborne.

The cycle then hit a utility pole and rolled over, coming to rest in the southbound lanes of Telegraph. Knapp was thrown from his motorcycle and landed on the west side of Telegraph. He was airlifted to the University of Michigan Hospital, in Ann Arbor, and died at 4:44 a.m.

According to police reports, neither speed nor alcohol appears to be a factor in the crash, which is being investigated by the traffic services division of the sheriff's department.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know that area quite well, I would suspect a high rate of speed because its flat and straight, however a bit bumpy. I would also guess a deer was involved as I've seen them in that area. My wife just called me today about this, she knows him. Damit already another funneral this year, it's happening too fast.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But what made the rider just ride off the road, before he hit the ditch. The article says speed and drink were not factors.
So, falling asleep? On a bike? Probably not.
Flinching for some odd reason? But that might have left tracks.
Just strange.

·
Registered
27 Posts
God Bless.
I happen to be nineteen and far from experienced much less "invincible" I realize many young riders feel they can't be hurt; however, the stereotype is just that. Not all young riders feel invincible.
RIP

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'll bet 10 to one it was high speed and a deer or some other animal was involved, it doesnt have to be a deer it could a raccoon, cat, dog. I'm tellin you guys that area is straight for almost a mile and like I said slightly bumpy.

Oh I remember the old days of being 20 and invinceable then I got married and was put in my place.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
tikki50 said:
I'll bet 10 to one it was high speed and a deer or some other animal was involved, it doesnt have to be a deer it could a raccoon, cat, dog. I'm tellin you guys that area is straight for almost a mile and like I said slightly bumpy.

Oh I remember the old days of being 20 and invinceable then I got married and was put in my place.
lol I hear ya! Life sure does change. I was invincible til I had Dakota.

Jen

·
Registered
354 Posts
RIP

That hits home real bad for me as I'm 20 and already laid her down once and on another occasion got dear fur stuck to my tailpipe after an all to close encounter...

As sad as this is I look to the saying, "Lived fast, died young" and that would be my prefered method if unlucky enough to happen to me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
UPDATE: Well I finally got the digg on what happened here. Mike stopped had a smoke with a buddy, they hopped on their bikes to race down tele and around 120 his bike had some major mechanical error which threw him off the bike and into a pole. Apprently his bike "blew up, like bright fire came from his bike and then he flew off". I think he might have threw a rod or something and some how his rear locked up. So yeah everyone this a perfect reason why you should ALWAYS double check the machinery before riding.

·
Registered
352 Posts
not sure, I would suspect the witness said mechanical malfunction when giving a statement, who wants to admit to speeding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts