Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This gets kind of fustrating. I have been digging for more information since this incident happened, I am sure this will spark some conversation and hopefully some insite on my next move.

Last thursday ( 7/18/02 ) a couple friends and I were planning on meeting at a Bar/NightClub ( all motorcyclists ). When my friend and i rolled up to the place the security gaurds outside told us we had to leave. Obviously i asked the man why this was so, and he tells me because we showed up on motorcycles and motorcycles are not allowed at their establishment. Imidiately i ask for the manager. I asked her to explain why motorcycles are not permitted at their establishment. She comes back with the response that their is a local town ordinance that bans motorcycles from being there after 7:30pm. Now at this point i am wondering how and why they ( not sure who ) could pass such a law or ordinance blocking a legally registered inspected and insured vehicle from entering a public establishment. That night we had to go to "other" places that are motorcyclist friendly. The next day i started poking arround. Calling different township offices searching for anyone that has heard of theese anti motorcyclist laws with no avail. I did happen to get the phone number to a traffic enforcement officer that gave me some information not sure how valuable it is though. The officer basically told me that because the place has a liquor license they can discriminate at will blocking whoever that want!?!?!? This has consumed some time as it is, and i am wondering how much further i should take it. Please anyone chime in with suggestions comments,......whatever,....................

ohh yeah that was the night the brake lock thing happened,........it was a fun night :rolleyes:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't follow. You said, "....a law or ordinance blocking a legally registered inspected and insured vehicle from entering a public establishment."

Were you parking your bike on a public street (out front, nearby, whatever) and then walked to the club and were not allowed in because you came on a bike?

Or were you trying to bring your bike INTO the establisment?

Why would you have your bike..."entering a public establishment" ?

Sorry. It's just not clear to me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I wasn't clear

The place was giving us the run arround. They wouldn't let us park in their parking lots. When we told them we would simply park in some other stores parking lot they told us that in order to be granted access to the inside of the club you had to arrive in a car. She was saying how that is another town ordinance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Would it be possible to park in their parking lot and have them call the police to get you to leave? Then the officer would have to ask you to leave and possibly state the local ordinance that you are apparently breaking. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Probably be more effective, and maybe more profitable, to have one of your group bring a video camera and get them refusing you admittance and telling you about the law on tape.

Then you go see an attorney.

I've been wrong before, but I just don't see how a town could enforce a law that decides arbitrarily that people on motorcycles are not entitled to the same service everyone else is.

Their parking lot may be for cars only, but I can't see the other part being legal.

·
Registered
624 Posts
That sounds completely bogus: like they might have had trouble with "bikers" at one time, and are trying to b.s. you. Have to arrive in a car? What about if you ride your trusty Schwinn? I kind of like the suggestion of having them call the cops, but maybe life's too short and this is a battle not worth fighting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get some of your black friends to go there and get refused service. then let them sue. make sure you get your cut though. Hell jessie Jackasson would be over there raising hell.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tell them to blow you. Go somewhere else. If that place is really cool, go in your car. Kinda like some bars around here you can't wear a hat in or go in if your shirt is not tucked in. Yeah a agree it's a stupid reason not to let you in. I got cut off recently at a bar back home after my 2nd beer because I wasn't eating. Sucks dude. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A bar is not a "public establishment" they are a private business. As lame as their rule is, they can refuse service to anyone. Sounds like they're trying to hide behind some obscure city ordnance instead of just coming clean that they don't want bikers at their place.

Just get on your bikes and spend your money somewhere else. Their loss.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like they previously had a bad expierence with bikes. Screw 'em take your business elsewhere.

J

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Hmmmm

So does this mean that people are going to come out with shirts that say:

Motorcycling is not a crime

Kinda like the skate board ones?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UFO said:
A bar is not a "public establishment" they are a private business. As lame as their rule is, they can refuse service to anyone. Sounds like they're trying to hide behind some obscure city ordnance instead of just coming clean that they don't want bikers at their place.

Just get on your bikes and spend your money somewhere else. Their loss.
Thats what we did, and probably had more fun doing so. I am really curious just to find out how a place can do this!

Motorcyclists are people too!!!

Whats the genral consensus, should i pursue this further and make them not happy with their choice to exclude motorcycles, or should i just not go there and be happy somewhere else. Can i legally do anything?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Organize a ride in your area and have all of them meet there. It won't work as far as changing their policy, but it'll be funny. If ya can't get around thier rules, at least you can really piss em off!

I know, some of you will say that it just gives sportbikers a bad name, but if those people already don't like us and refuse to change, whats the harm? I for one believe that if someone hates me for apparently no reason, then I will give them a reason, so at lease their hatred is justified. :twofinger

·
Registered
624 Posts
Why not have that as a meeting place every time you organize a ride? Just park in front and wait for your buddies to show up. Otherwise, I'd just let it go and chalk it up to narrowminded idiots who would rather you spend your cash somewhere else.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Just forget about it and go somewhere else. This reminds me of a place in Clemmons, NC close to where I grew up in Winston Salem NC called Tanglewood Park. Its hundreds of acres donated by a widow that was heir to part of the RJ Reynolds tobacco fortune. It has a horse track and golf course and is home to several big events like the steeplechase horse race and some golf tournements that are nationally televised. She hated bikers so no motorcycles are allowed anywhere on the property because that was one of her stipulations when she donated the land. I found this out because during a picnic at one of the many pavilions there, the security spotted my bike and told me I had to remove it from the property. I had get someone to follow me out the front gate so I could put it outside the park. This was 14 years ago, the rule may have changed but I doubt it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A private business it may be, but if it is open to the general public, it has to be open to ALL the general public.

They can't refuse someone based on what they drive...that's the EXACT same as a resteraunt telling someone they can't eat there because they are black.

Any private establishment that is open to the general public must be available to ANYONE who wishes to use their service.

I would go back with the video camera and get them on tape refusing you service, then contact an attorney and see if you can get any money out of the deal...think about how cool it would be when you win, and you can tell them that "People that don't allow me into their bar aren't allowed into BigPapaPorsche's Club" because you'll own them in court, and then you can just own their business.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its probably not worth the money and your probably not willing to pursue this... but I hate people who discriminate like this..

ME? I'd contact a civil liberties attorney and sue them for violating your rights!

Seriously, I'd sue the crap out of them including damages, my attorney fees, and any court costs.

M.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Protected Class??

I don't believe motorcyclists are members of any protected class under State or Federal laws. That would be sex, race, religion, ethnicity, handicap, or in some jurisdictions, sexual preference. Discrimination protections are in place to right some previous discriminatory behavior towards a protected class or group. Civil Rights is not the issue if it is not a government actor involved. I believe anyone does have the right to refuse to serve anyone as long as they are not doing it by discrimination against one of the protected groups of people. Free legal advice but lots of lawyers around who don't mind bringing frivolous lawsuits.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bitching groups..??

Yes I guess I am saying that. The gov't (civil rights) has said they will not provide specific legislation to address civil rights unless there is a long history of discrimination against a particular group. Disenfranchisement of women and blacks for hundreds of years, housing discrimination against non-traditional family units, job discrimination against certain ethnic or religious groups. I don't think that the "right" to "down liquor and chase p****" is what the constitutional writers or even the current legislators had in mind.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts