Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAven't hit one yet, but I wonder what would happen if I hit a rabbit, skunk, etc. Anyone ever hit a small animal, maybe a little bigger than squirrel size??:confused:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not too long ago, a young driver swerved to avoid an object that came out of the back of a truck. The driver lost control of his vehicle, killing himself & several of his friends. The object he swerved to avoid was a foam cooler.....

Use your judgement to avoid objects when possible, but sometimes it's better to hit what's in your path. Squirrel, rabbit, possum, etc. avoid them if you can, but if avoiding them puts you in a dangerous situation, go on and hit them...You'll be alright....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry about that, I must have been in a mood.
But seriously a work collegue of my hit a rabbit at 100mph on a moderate lean in a corner it went straight under both wheels and the bike didn't even shake its head, it was a 1999 ZX9R.:thumb:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
rooboy said:
With the animal? Don't know but turn down the lights, soft music and anything could happen!:D
:laughing:

Sorry, ESanders2, but that was funny.

My first ever a**e-puckering moment came when I hit an already squashed lizard one morning, whilst on the lean. My front tyre slipped sideways a little, but then caught again and I was fine.

My jocks were a little messy though... :eek:

I once heard another member say they were taught that, if the animal in question would fit on your plate, don't try to avoid it. As Rundog said, you may end up killing yourself in the process.

You only have a fraction of a second in which to make up your mind and execute whatever manoeuvre you come up with. That's why you should always be aware everything around you when riding.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But seriously a work collegue of my hit a rabbit at 100mph on a moderate lean in a corner it went straight under both wheels and the bike didn't even shake its head, it was a 1999 ZX9R
Good to hear:)

I've probably hit one in my cage in 10 years of driving, I think they have a pretty high survival instinct when it comes down to it. A guy who worked the MSF course said he saw a squirrel run in between the tires of a bike in front of him at 100MPH and clear it:eek:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
ESanders2 said:
...A guy who worked the MSF course said he saw a squirrel run in between the tires of a bike in front of him at 100MPH and clear it:eek:
Luck. Nothing more. I've seen animals make it across the road, to the clear, then decide they want to back where they started.

WHAM!

"You made a bad choice, Mr Wabbit."

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here in the country you gotta watch out for Kangaroos at night! Hit one in my cage once...on a bike it would have been GAME OVER!:eek:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
rooboy said:
Here in the country you gotta watch out for Kangaroos at night! Hit one in my cage once...on a bike it would have been GAME OVER!:eek:
I ride a rural highway to work at 4am. 'Roos are my biggest fear, especially dead ones lying in the middle of the road. :eek:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
I'm not sure how big the animal would have to be before it would cause problems, but I can say from experience that a Canadian goose is not big enough to cause issues.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I've heard that the rule of thumb is "If its small enough to eat at one sitting, get on the gas and run it over, if bigger, panic stop"
I've hit rabbits, squirells, snakes, small birds, and even a buzzard, with no ill effects (Aside from a broke mirror). I've ran over an already dead big dog once (dalmation I believe) also without any problems (aside from the extreme feeling of guilt)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Best thing you can do if you think you are going to hit it is keep the bike straight and steady. If you can avoid it without too much worry that is always best, but if you are in danger mode keep her steady and hope the little critter is quicker then you think.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ESanders2 said:
...what would happen if I hit a...skunk...
I dunno about hitting a live skunk. I have yet to do that, cage or bike. But if you hit a dead one, especially one that has been there a day or two in the hot sun, and OMFG!! I thought I was going to throw up.

I hit a dead one in my cage once, in winter no less!, and had to park it outside for about a week. Putting it in the attached garage, you could smell it inside the house. The car wash didn't help much either.

Just gotta keep your eyes open. And like the others said, use your judgement on when to dodge and when to plow ahead. I've hit a live squirrel. Felt sorry for the little guy, but no big deal.

What absolutely pisses me off, though, are people who nearly cause multi-vehicle accidents coming to a sudden stop to avoid a small animal. I've seen idiots do that on interstate highways with traffic moving 70+mph! Don't get me wrong, I'm not an animal hater or anything, but in that situation, I'm not going to stop, or swerve, or anything else to endanger myself, my passengers, or others on the highway. A large animal would be a different story.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Re: Re: Motorcycle vs. Small Road Animal

hapmstr said:
...A large animal would be a different story.
Mrs Tree hit a cow two years ago when driving her little Hyundai hatch. She was heading home, at night, when she rounded a corner of the rural highway the heads to our town. Three BLACK cows had escaped from a paddock and were standing in the middle of the road.

She managed to avoid the first two (travelling at 60-70mph), but nailed the third. Her car was a write-off, but she stepped out it unharmed.

Now, imagine if that was bike. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hit a freakin possum on the way to Corpus....wasn't that bad just scared the SH!% out of me ...The bike just wiggled a bit and kept straight - oh yea - THUD.......:D

·
Registered
746 Posts
I hit the lady next door's dog at about 25. I even swerved to miss it, but the damn thing was on a mission to get run over and collided with my front tire. It popped up my front about a foot but came down with no problems. Then her other dog who was running out too came up and bit me on the leg 2 sec. after that. Fair trade I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts