Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how different a motorcycles clutch and trans are from a cars Thanks

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The biggest difference is a shift drum, as most cars dont have them. Also, most car clutches are dry, most bikes are oil bathed.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ok, since we're talking clutches, they are pretty different in design. Cars dont have clutch baskets, and use different springs, along with a whole lot of other parts...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Do a search on howstuffworks.com for motorcycle transmission or sequential transmission and read that. LOTS of good info there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info, Ive been reading a lot about them the past couple days. Seeing as I have never ridden a motorcycle how hard do you think it would be to learn if you already know how to drive a manual car?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's a lot simpler in my opinion to use the clutch and shift in a bike, if you can already drive a manual tranny car, there should be no problem adjusting. Just watch the downshifts, wrongly timed shifts can have your rear doing terrible things, and on a bike it's dangerous than blowing some parts in a car.

The other diffference is, you can't just shift the gear in neutral from any gear and coast sometimes as you can on a car. To do that on a bike, you'd have to be in 2nd or 1st, and well, there'd be no reason do that unless you've stopped.

But it's the other things that require 110% attention while riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Witt said:
Thanks for all the info, Ive been reading a lot about them the past couple days. Seeing as I have never ridden a motorcycle how hard do you think it would be to learn if you already know how to drive a manual car?

If you can drive a stick, handling a bike transmition isnt difficult. It takes abit to get used to clutching with your hand and shifting with your foot, but its essentially the same thing... Well, one exception, bikes are much much easier to stall.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Here's a STM Slipper Clutch. Little more complicated than a cage clutch. More expensive too. This is a dry clutch and runs outside of the engine case. I can change the plates in about 10 minutes

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts