Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a used bike for my wife. I have not really done all that much work on bikes yet, but I will admit that I have worked a ton on cars. Just the same, I decided that I would bring her bike into the shop and get a baseline tune-up and maintainance. Since I'm green to this bike as well, I figure I'll get them to move it to prime running shape, and then I'll take it from there. In case you hadn't read anywhere earlier from me, my wife's bike is a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100.

So...I decided to call the closest dealer, who happens to be a Honda dealer and spoke to the service guy who I have worked with in the past (we bought our Honda Rebel there as well). He said he could get it in and out in a day or at worst two. I followed my wife out to the dealer around mid-day in the cage.

Upon arrival we passed through the small showroom to get to service. We passed the sales manager who sold me the Honda Rebel I owned previously. He appeared distracted and didn't even say hello. I was not phased by that initially. We went into the service area and it appeared no one was there. My wife asked me to check out what was going on in the showroom to see if we could get some help. At the parts counter someone was being waited on by a different sales guy. I waited behind that customer to request help. After a few minutes I see the manager get up and charge through the showroom towards the service area. I think if I remember he looked aggitated, but he always looks that way.

A minute later my wife comes out of the service area and motions for me to come to the service area, and since the parts guy is still busy, I ablige. Once in the service area my wife is sort of angry. She informs me the manager came in and announced "to the air" that no one is here and they won't be back until 2:00 (it was now around 1:00). There was a long pause and he said " Where is it, I'll write it up" and without waiting for an answer, he went outside to where the bike was. He didn't wait for her, so here we stand in service alone again. We proceed outside and want to know what the problem is and if we should take the bike somewhere else for service - he says " Maybe that is a good idea." and starts walking away. I yell at him " Hey man, this isn't cool. I'm bringing you business and I bought a bike from you and this is the way you treat me?" His response was I was the one who went off on him. I think even if that was true (I don't think anyone went off on him), why woundn't he at least try work this out? Even if my wife had done something insane like start yelling at him for no reason, why wouldn't he explain that to me?

Anyway, we have to wait a few days or up to week to get the bike in anywhere else, so that is a drag, but I can't see bringing it to them after that incident. I hate to lose the service guy we like, but he is the General Manager and I see that he doesn't care. I guess I just wanted to vent to my friends here. We were going to compain to the owner, but the only address we have from him is at the store. I'm sure manager would intercept anything to the store. I have noticed that sometimes motorcycle shops seem to be indifferent to the loss of customers. That reallys seems odd to me.

Edited to remove names - I was a little to angry when I wrote the post.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Most dealerships I've dealt with seemed nice only because I proved to them over and over that my money was in fact green. I would say I never have found one that I though actually gave a shit about service or building relationships with customers. From Indiana to California to Puerto Rico, almost all of the dealerships I've dealt with have turned out to be worthless. :2cents:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I worked in a bike shop for 2 years and really got to know everyone. That is the ONLY shop i will take my shit to. Mainly it's because I am friends with the owners, and the mechanics, but I also know they do good work and take care of the bikes. But I have also seen times when I worked there when it was so hectic behind the counter that I forgot to wait on people, unplugged the phone, or seemed to be ignoring someone.

Even the best and most caring places have their bad days. I don't know what your shop is usually like, but it could have just been one of those days.:2cents:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Tippmann said:
I worked in a bike shop for 2 years and really got to know everyone. That is the ONLY shop i will take my shit to. Mainly it's because I am friends with the owners, and the mechanics, but I also know they do good work and take care of the bikes. But I have also seen times when I worked there when it was so hectic behind the counter that I forgot to wait on people, unplugged the phone, or seemed to be ignoring someone.

Even the best and most caring places have their bad days. I don't know what your shop is usually like, but it could have just been one of those days.:2cents:
Perhaps that was the case, but no quality establishment ever has an excuse to rant to a customer about their behavior. That's a total lack of business principles, IMHO.

·
Registered
518 Posts
go elsewhwere...everyone services Hondas, don't they?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RSVRick said:
go elsewhwere...everyone services Hondas, don't they?
Yeah this is true, and I will. Really just wondering what you all thought. It is already a forgone conclusion after that I will go elsewhere. But they were the closest and I like the tech I was working with there. I shouldn't have to choose a different dealer because the manager can't deal with humans.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
scanevalexec said:
I shouldn't have to choose a different dealer because the manager can't deal with humans.
Unfortunately it seems that anymore there is no such thing as customer service, regardless of the industry. I can't really think of any recent purchases of anything that I felt the merchant went above and beyond the call of duty. Hell I'd be happy if they even did the job they were supposed to do in the first place!

Customer service is for the most part a thing of the past. :(

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was gonna suggest you go over his head and talk to the owner of the shop, but you don't really want a disgruntled employee working on your bike! If you are going elsewhere anyway, then do it...tell the owner what a dick this guy was to you.

·
Registered
518 Posts
spicersh said:
Unfortunately it seems that anymore there is no such thing as customer service, regardless of the industry. I can't really think of any recent purchases of anything that I felt the merchant went above and beyond the call of duty. Hell I'd be happy if they even did the job they were supposed to do in the first place!

Customer service is for the most part a thing of the past. :(
The other day I stopped by a dealership that was on my way to work. I was on my wife's bike, it was about 7:30am, and the only one there was the owner. I basically stopped by to inquire about an inspection. The owner was in the middle of waxing his truck. He says "I'll do it for you now" not only did he do it, he didn't charge me! I thought that was pretty cool. I'll go back there just because of that...a little customer service goes a long way!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
If for some reason or another someone in a shop takes a dislike to me, then it is time for me to move on to another shop even if there are not a lot of m/c shops in my area.

I have a Yamaha shop pretty close to me, but take my Yamaha to a shop some distance away.

Now I like the chaps at the Honda shop only it is a bummer to get to due to traffic right through a city. As the head mechanic at the Yamaha shop (this being the one farther away as mentioned above) ALSO was a head mechanic at another Yamaha/Honda shop well I tend to go to there on some occassions.

BOTH shops know I am a cash paying person, ex shop manager/owner & by my riding gear from one or the other & never try to get them down on costs.

Last thing I would want is a manager or mechanic of a shop that takes a dislike to me especially if their shop was to work on my bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When the shop I bought my bike from turned into a bunch of asses, I wrote a letter to Honda. They seemed to be very interested to hear about my experience. I don't know exactly what the reprocussions were, but they said they would have a little talk with the dealer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would call this "troubles with a jerk". That manager is likely a jerk in every aspect of his life. Too bad the shop owner is stupid enough to hire a jerk. Who knows what kind of workmanship he expects from the mechanics. I'd guess treating customers right is not a top priority. Seems stupid too, since service and parts are probably the most profitable part of the shop.

My advice: Buy a manual and do the work yourself.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Like Shames I wrote a letter to both Yamaha & Honda when the shop I purchased my 929 from in mid-April (the only 929 they brought in with cash in advance from me) & folded up in May.

Fact is they were Yamaha, Honda, Triumph & KTM for a city north of me.

When I visited the opening of the new Honda shop in '01 I was sent aghast when talking to the parts man & mentioning Kevlar brake lines to hear "I do not think we have the catalogue on that yet", same when I said steering head dampers & exactly the same words. So reason another letter or two to Honda as their mechanic was a Polaris snowmobile & Victory man.

When the bike was to go in for a recall on the clutch & fuel line basically all new staff, on the floor, where we all seemed to click so well & I noted when they opened up my folder there were copies of my letters to Honda so they were well aware of me & my outlooks on the shop when first visited.

Of interest I was in when they opened up the day to have the above recalls done only late & close to closing time they had me into the mechanic's part to show a possible minor flaw in the replacement clutch & seems the two they had received had received a blow in shipping. In some shops they might have let it go as you needed a keen ear to even hear it & they did not want to chance it on me. So was given a 1000cc Honda Cruiser demo bike to get me home & back again when the above was done.

Interesting thing is with some mileage on the cruiser I could not get it past 100KPH when riding home & going downhill. Three days later the clutch & all was finished & I came storming back & told them the Cruiser would now honk up to 150 KPH when going uphill & that those that had riden it before probably rode it at the potato-potato-potato pace or even slower.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey scanevalexec, where did you take it to? I'd guess not Comp Assec. since they are more than a "small showroom", I'm not familiar w/ any other Honda Dealers bar Southside, but there is probably one in Springfield?

If it is something simple, like plugs or carb cleaning, oil, chain maintanence, brake stuff , etc etc., I can show you, I actually have a harder time working on my truck! I find it better to do everything on my bike, I don't trust anyone else torquing my brake bolts, or setting chain slack etc. etc., most mechanics have no passion for their work and it shows.

Also, I had a nice 150mile ride on Easter Sunday, I cruised into Yellow Springs on Dayton Yellow springs rd. from fairborn, then hit 68 south through Downtown, and I had a Yellow Springs cop tail me all of the way through that 25 and then 35 zone, halfway to Xenia! That was lame, I was riding very tame, and had a tag, and appropriate riding gear.

Back on subject, they are TELLING you to keep your money on yourself, and to buy mods or good tools! That is what Joes Cycle did when I inquired about a price for a battery. $70! What?!?! How about $25? Plugs, $8 for a NGK CR9E, wtf? I have walked in three times to walk out angry about their "lazy" service and rediculously high prices, and their mechanics look like meth heads, haha. I will probably need to get some jets from the in the future unfortuneately.

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
44 Posts
What's up pyro? I wouldnt be surprised if it was C.A. because their general manager is a complete ass. My friend tried on a pair of gloves there then put them back and the gm comes over and says "you trying to steal gloves from me?". My friend says no, what are you talking about and the gm makes him empty his pockets because he thinks he is lying. my friend was like I was gonna buy some gear here but maybe now I wont and the gm was like good get out of my store. He didnt even apologize for the false accusation.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pyrotek2k said:
Hey scanevalexec, where did you take it to? I'd guess not Comp Assec. since they are more than a "small showroom", I'm not familiar w/ any other Honda Dealers bar Southside, but there is probably one in Springfield?
I'd rather not give names, but they are in Fairborn and sell all Honda stuff only. Seem like a grumpy bunch, but I have seen other people having a nice talk with some of these guys. It might be me - it's tough being such a mean looking guy.

Originally posted by pyrotek2k
If it is something simple, like plugs or carb cleaning, oil, chain maintanence, brake stuff , etc etc., I can show you, I actually have a harder time working on my truck! I find it better to do everything on my bike, I don't trust anyone else torquing my brake bolts, or setting chain slack etc. etc., most mechanics have no passion for their work and it shows.
I just wanted to get a pro to setup my wifes bike. Someone with all the right tools and checks it to spec. From here on forward it is my (and my wife's) job to work on the bike. I will just go to the Competition for now on. That is where we bought the bike in the first place. I just wanted another party to check it out. Anyway, the work is done now, and it is running great.

Originally posted by pyrotek2k
Also, I had a nice 150mile ride on Easter Sunday, I cruised into Yellow Springs on Dayton Yellow springs rd. from fairborn, then hit 68 south through Downtown, and I had a Yellow Springs cop tail me all of the way through that 25 and then 35 zone, halfway to Xenia! That was lame, I was riding very tame, and had a tag, and appropriate riding gear.
Our cops are sometimes very tenacious. I don't get hassled though, so I'm lucky. If you ever come through again, let me know. There are some great roads around here. You can get some speed up, and also nice switchbacks and rolling hills in places as well. I think I have almost every kind of road near me, from busy city streets to way out in the country, all just a few miles apart.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad you got the bike checked out and running well then.

C.A. can be kind of weird, like all larger places, management is hard to come by. I like the smaller type places (EPC) that typically have the owner working for himself, hence 100% motivation and QA rather than 3 steps of management over the person talking to you, and motives that get distorted etc. It didn't seem that C.A. has anything going for them other than selection (including the Ducs!), their gear section is lame, JR is kind of cheapie. I did go there to size out jackets for my ebay Tecknic though, so I owe em one!

Anyone go to Hooters or Q.S. bike nights lately? I have school 2 nights a week and need to get stuff done the other nights, haven't found the time yet. I saw 4 sportbikes gettting off of the southbound Little York/Miller exit last night when I was getting on, gave them a wave around 1rst gear redline, haha, they were probably going to Hooters.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd be down for bike night at hooter's anytime just let me know pyro. A friend of mine is a waitress there so we'd definitely get lost of attention. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts