Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed that the ignition key is cracked on both sides of the teeth, one hard snap, and it will break in half. The bike came with one key, and since it's a Honda F4, I tried to get duplicates from Home Depot or Lowe's, but they don't carry keys this long. Will the dealership be able to order one? I am a little worried if it's irreplaceable.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The dealerships around here have a key machine and made copies of mine when I got my bike. They do like to charge a good bit for them though. I paid $6 a key, but like you said Lowes and Home Depot dont have the right ones.

Sepias

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
A good locksmith will even have blanks for said keys. Once you get one AND IT WORKS, then get a few more & keep them in safe places. Like if you have a wallet for your DL & it has a coin section then use that to hold one of your spare keys. Leave the other one at home, & lastly the other one is on the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Smitty said:
A good locksmith will even have blanks for said keys. Once you get one AND IT WORKS, then get a few more & keep them in safe places. Like if you have a wallet for your DL & it has a coin section then use that to hold one of your spare keys. Leave the other one at home, & lastly the other one is on the bike.
+1
I just got two copies made at a local locksmith. He had the key in stock and I think it cost me $4 a piece... It is ALWAYS a good idea to have a spare key hidden somewhere on your bike.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

My preference is to make a few copies when the keys are new so subsequent copies will be from an unworn key. One of the original keys that came with my motorcycle hasn't left the safe in which I store it in case copies are needed.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
not only can you have copies made, but just for future reference, your bike has an ignition code number, should be stamped somewhere on or near the ignition. on my 99 zx6r, i actually had a tag on the keyring (still have it actually, lol even though the bikes sold! oops) that had the number on it, and so you keep that in your house somewhere. if you lose your key you just take the tag (or in your case, get the number off the bike) to the dealer (they may require that you show them the title in your name too) and they order you as many brand new keys for your bike as you want.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to the Honda dealer, the salesman just gave me the blanks - $3 each, and said they couldn't make it, because apparently the key lacks the serial number, it's probably scrubbed off from using. I also took up on your advice to check around the ignition, but couldn't find any number except frame number right below the ignition and triple clamp. I was a bit disappointed, I thought for $6.30 (two blanks), I'd get them in rubber caps, but they're regular blank made by an unknown company to my knowledge. I wanted to leave, but felt it was rude not to buy them after asking him to fetch. Looks like I have to find a good locksmith.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
hmmm, mabe the ignition code is like on the ignition, like you would have to pop it out. i dont remember...but dont try to pop your ignition out!

if you have blank keys now....and you have a key, cant you just go to a hardware store and have them cut the new keys??

and lastly, dont EVER feel rude leaving a dealership without buying anything, they dont really give a shit about you so dont give them the courtesy they dont give you. all they care about is making money, not making you happy.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Neller0414 said:
hmmm, mabe the ignition code is like on the ignition, like you would have to pop it out. i dont remember...but dont try to pop your ignition out!

if you have blank keys now....and you have a key, cant you just go to a hardware store and have them cut the new keys??

and lastly, dont EVER feel rude leaving a dealership without buying anything, they dont really give a shit about you so dont give them the courtesy they dont give you. all they care about is making money, not making you happy.
I checked the hardware store, and I used to work on one, but they all use cartridge type key makers to make keys, if the key doesn't fit in the slots, it can't be made, so I checked the usual , and they all use the same systerm.

As for the Honda dealer, well I buy all my stuff from them usually, but I guess I should give another dealership my business as well. When I got home, I checked the receipt, and it said ALL items are subject to 15% restocking fee, even if it's new.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
what did u expect? of course theres a restocking fee. of course they want to take more money from you for no good reason! its a dealership!!!

its kinda funny i say this, because i would like to open up a shop, like a used bike sales and repair shop...and eventually become a dealer, but im gonna be a good dealer and not fuck everyone over, cause dealers can still make good money and not be dicks.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand that, but not like most browsers, every time I'm there, I buy something. For example, if I need one brake oil bottle, I get two. If I need an oil filter, I get an air filter as well. A blank keys are one of those things that if it's no use to me, and I didn't use it, I should be able to return or exchange it for something else. They're like Best Buy, not customer friendly in this sense. But there are other stores, who'll extend that sort of courtesy. Anyway, I just got those keys made, and that's that, but I was throwing that as an example. I really would like to support my local dealers, but at this rate, they make it compelling for me to get my stuff through the net, which is even cheaper with shipping. An half hour tire changing or brake pads change job, they'll charge full hour, full price. They wanted to charge me $90 bucks just to change one tire! Luckily I got two done with another dealer for $70.00.

Anyway, I ended up going to a locksmith's house, and turns out he used to be a rider, and had a F3. We chatted for about bikes about an hour. You meet the most friendly/interesting people when you learn they ride too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts