Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
This was a very, very good report. I am surprised that members have not read it & made a few comments.

Really a lot of infto that will surprise some of you.

It is, surprisingly, no pointing the finger at the m/cist as being the bad ones when it comes to accidents.

I was surprised that so many must have run the tyres down to the threads & so reason for tyres to be one of the big problems on m/cs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
wow, that seemed to be the most thorough report i have seen yet. I would say that pertains very closely cyclists everywhere. very unbiased and standing on fact!!!! Shouldnt MY insurance rates go down now:D :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish my rates would go down, I even thought about sending a copy of this report to my insurance company to let them see that m/cist are usually not at fault.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Sounds good. I'll read it tomorrow when I have some time.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I do not think they put down eveything in the report. I am positive on another board I spotted the same only worded a bit different.

They did mention that many of the accidents were due to slow motorcyclists & I think they were taking in all the scooters & small 50 to 125cc irons which would also include a lot of beginners. Now with the maze of scooters & mopeds going here & there all the time then little wonder many accidents were because of slow riders.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Here is the other wording taken out of the MAIDS

I know that news about this study was posted before but this motorcycle blog has a nice summary of the results:

The original is at this url http://blogs.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/08052004072207MWE8BE.htm

The Association Of European Motorcycle Manufacturers (ACEM) have published an excellent and detailed report after an extensive study of motorcycle accidents. The investigation was conducted during 3 years, and involved 921 accidents in European countries (Italy, France, Netherlands, Spain and Germany).

In short, the report, called MAIDS, reports that 37% of all accidents, the motorcyclist was at fault (human error). The legal fault might not have been the riders', but the accident was caused by the motorcyclist not paying attention.

"Only" 5% of accidents were caused by alcohol (by the motorcyclist). That's very low compared to cages. Also, riders between 41 and 55 years have a very low risk of having an accident, while motorcyclist between ages 18 and 25 have a very high risk.

50% of accidents, the other vehicle was at fault (however, other vehicles, such as cars, driven by a motorcyclist are less likely to have an accident with bikes, since they are more in tune with motorcycles). 90% of these accidents were because the other vehicle (read cage) did not see the motorcycle ! 60% of all accidents involved a car !

Interestingly enough, only 1% of all accidents involved technical problems on the motorcycle, most of them related to the tires !!!!

In 70% of all accidents, the motorcycle was travelling below 50 kph ! 18% of all cases, the motorcycle was travelling at a significant speed difference with the other vehicles (either faster OR slower).

The report details much, much more information. Road conditions, clothing, helmets, accident avoidance, etc.

You can obtain a copy of the report (free, in PDF format) by clicking here [ ed. http://maids.acembike.org/]- you'll need to register (Source: ACEMbike.org). It's long, but a good read if you're interested in finding out more about accidents, and what causes them.

So note the 70% of all accidents,the motorcycle cases, the m/c was travelling at a significant difference with the other vehicles (either faster OR slower).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts