Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most fuel efficient sport bike yet has safe power for freeway riding? And what are the estimated numbers for this bike? With gas prices going up I'm interested in this alternative to driving my car which averages around 29 MPG. Regular 87 is now a min of $3.15 in my area.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
sports or crusier? 250 ninja's could go on the highway and cruise 70mph, but I wouldn't want to. A rebel 250 would do the same, I'm sure either of them get atleast 60mpg.

·
Registered
233 Posts
JBaz said:
sports or crusier? 250 ninja's could go on the highway and cruise 70mph, but I wouldn't want to. A rebel 250 would do the same, I'm sure either of them get atleast 60mpg.
I had a '85 Rebel 250cc that got about 65-70mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How is the milage for 500cc and up? How good is your gixxer on gas?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
My 750 gets about 25-30 mpg highway, but that was before my last tune up and fixing my exhaust. :twofinger If you want milage, look for a sport cruiser, I beleive that would be the best option.

Sepias

·
Registered
76 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
If you want milage, look for a sport cruiser, I beleive that would be the best option.
I would change that slightly. If you want better gas mileage, ride slower.

That said, I would say the Ninja 250 would be what fits your specifications best: fast enough for highway speeds, sportbike, 65+ mpg.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd agree with a Ninja 250. My 650R usually gets around 40-50mpg with regular easy going riding. Less of course when you want to push it. Even then you still get near 40.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
F2: 42mpg
RR: 35mpg
GSXR: ~35mpg, but its still in the building phase. So I haven't ridden it.

And yes, mpg depends on your riding style. If you rev it everywhere, you'll use up more gas. I drive very aggressive on the bikes (fast accelerations) so those are the lows for the bikes. I've seen 60mpg on the F2 before, but that was with granny shifting at 5k (if any grandma's ride sports bikes that is) and not exceeding 65mph.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Z_Fanatic said:
Or a moped or scooter.
I want something that has enough power where I'm not going to die getting on the freeway and has enough power to get out of a bad situation (don't want to be a sitting duck). Is a 250CC too gutless? I have a 250CC 2 stroke dirtbike and even that feels too gutless for the street. Can't imagine how bad a 250CC 4-stroke would be. Maybe a 650CC would be a better idea. Is there a particular sport bike that gets better mileage than the other's? That 650R sounds like it get good mileage. What year is it?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
it depends on your area if you should get a 250cc bike for day to day use. They can go 70 easily and I think the max speed is like 90ish. If you live in the city, a 250cc bike is perfect for the daily rider and have awesome mpg. If you need to travel 20 miles a day all on the highways, it still could do it, but if you have a lot of construction going on and too many idiots than normal in your area, 500GS or 650SV would be good bikes too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had a Ninja 250. It tops out right around 100mph. Around the city, it's not gutless at all. On the highway, if you travel around the speed limit up to 75-80 or so, you'll be fine. The difference with that bike on the highway, is it has the passing power of a slow car once it's above 60 or so. But it'll cruise at 80+ no problem. Anyone that says you don't want to ride that bike on the highway has probably never ridden one...no, they're not nearly as smooth, and are much buzzier(due to high rpm requirements) than the bigger bikes, but they'll do the job.

A Ninja 500 or Suzuki GS500 will be smoother and have more grunt on the freeway for passing. If you jump up to a 650, the Ninja or the Suzuki SV650, you'll have a nice light bike with more than enough power. Depends on how much fuel economy you want to trade for horsepower and displacement.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
^Not trying to say to avoid the 250, but after riding a 600cc bike, I don't think I can take that kind of powerloss in my area where the only way to travel is highways and I have to do atleast 30 miles every day.

If there are a lot of aggresive cagers on the road, it would be nice to have a bike that can go 0 to suicidal in no time (lol, guess who said that?) to get away from cars or pass them.

My 6th gear on the f2 seems to have a faster acceleration from 65+ than what my eclipse does in 1st gear.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I hear you. Even though the safety experts say you're better off braking than accelerating to get out of a situation, I didn't really like the sluggish pull of the 250 at freeway speeds. I'm sure going back to it now, I'd dislike it even more after having a Katana and now VFR. But, plenty of people use them as their everyday bike, and it's definitely capable.

Joshp, have you owned a motorcycle before?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I hear you. Even though the safety experts say you're better off braking than accelerating to get out of a situation, I didn't really like the sluggish pull of the 250 at freeway speeds. It is nice to just whack the throttle a bit and be gone. I'm sure going back to it now, I'd dislike it even more after having a Katana and now VFR. But, plenty of people use them as their everyday bike, and it's definitely capable.

Joshp, have you owned a motorcycle before?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The 650R just came out this year from Kawasaki. Has a very good riding position so it doesn't kill your back as much as an RR but you can still tuck in a haul ass when need be. As these guys said, it basically depends on where you're going to ride it for the most part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts