Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yamaha YZF 600R(not the R6) or the Kawasaki ZX6E (not the 6R)

·
Registered
190 Posts
UFO said:
Good recommendations above. Might want to also consider a Kawi ZR-7S. It's a 750, but it's less high strung than most 600s. Great all around bike.
Thanks for the input, UFO!

I had been considering the SV650S for a long time, thinking a 600 would be best to start out on. But...the other day on ebay, I chanced upon a 2001 ZR-7R. I was looking for something more sport-tour-ish, and I found it! It looks GREAT and after reading the reviews and checking the specs, it sounds PERFECT ! I'm sold!:)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Please note...the zx7r is NOT the same as the 7s....I'm not really sure that you are talking about the same bike as mentioned earlier in the post. If you are a newbie, the zx7r might be a more than you bargained for. Make sure you have your x's, s's and r's straight. LOL good luck:D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Any 600cc sportbike 1988 or newer handles plenty good and is forgiving with the right tires. Unfortunately, I haven't found a bike yet that is self governing depending on the corner and that will prevent a rider going in too hot! You could try breaking your right wrist to keep you from twisting too hard, but you would have to keep breaking it every time it heals.

Seriously, they are all good. I am a STRONG believer in NOT buying new. I would say 50-75% of the people I know have gone down within 2 years of starting (Mine was 1). The pain is compounded when you have to pop a couple grand to get it on the road again. Get a good used 600 for $2-$4K. I prefer the Suzuki or the Yamaha, but they are a little more "sport" oriented.

I am also a strong believer that it takes a lot of disipline and respect to ride a bike fast and not get in over your head. If you haven't already, take the safety course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts