Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Is it just me, or when you ride your M/C (as opposed to driving a car) do you notice LESS idiotic drivers? Well, I do. It's like night and day; when I am riding my bike I notice VERY few bad drivers in cars, whereas when I am driving a car, I notice a whole friggin TON of bad drivers (people cutting other people off, no blinker, etc.). Anyone else observe this phenomenon?

...maybe it's just because I am going faster than all the morons when riding my bike. :D

--Scott

·
Registered
250 Posts
Much less stupid people but yes, I tend to be well ahead of the pack when riding so I see fewer cars. Have noticed one thing though, all the cars tend to drive faster when I'm on my bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's how I thought it was supposed to be Smitty, 'tis why I am confused, because one would think that on a motorcycle you would notice MORE bad drivers because you are more alert.

And Vigis, I think they are trying to keep up with you. ;)

...I dunno, maybe I notice less bad drivers because I am in a better mood when riding my bike.... I've grown to dislike driving a car.

--Scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think on the MC you are more alert to problems and other people. This may be what you are encountering. When you are in the cage you are less on your game, so things pop up faster (to your perception), but you have more time to react since you won't be dropping your car in the process of a full stop.

I think the part about enjoying yourself and being in a great mood may effect perception as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ScottF3 said:
Hey,

Is it just me, or when you ride your M/C (as opposed to driving a car) do you notice LESS idiotic drivers? Well, I do. It's like night and day; when I am riding my bike I notice VERY few bad drivers in cars, whereas when I am driving a car, I notice a whole friggin TON of bad drivers (people cutting other people off, no blinker, etc.). Anyone else observe this phenomenon?

...maybe it's just because I am going faster than all the morons when riding my bike. :D

--Scott

It seems to be the opposite for me as well. I have some cagers do some fucking stupid things like pull out in front of me and do 20 mph, weaving into me while on a four lane highway. tailgating the fuck out of me in heavy traffic and other assholic things. I had these dumbasses the other day blow through a stop sign and right in front me. I was sure to blare my horn at them but that didn't stop them and instead they flipped me off and laughed. The laughter stopped at the upcoming red light though when I started kicking the piss out of there rear light. :twofinger

·
Registered
17 Posts
vigis said:
Much less stupid people but yes, I tend to be well ahead of the pack when riding so I see fewer cars. Have noticed one thing though, all the cars tend to drive faster when I'm on my bike.
Thats true of a bike, or a cage that is flying by a group of cars. If you pay attention you will notice that many times people will speed up. I don't know if this is people's competitive nature, or they figure if that guy can get away with it so can I. I have actually had the occasion of passing a slow moving car, and they will speed up offended that I am passing them. In one occassion the jerk did this with cars approaching me coming in the oppisite direction. :eek: I would'nt back down so it turned into a race, but I cut the sucker off at the last minute.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Good example would be on a 5 hr run to-day when there was this 5th wheel & behind it a normal cage. Single lane on north side, but passing lane on my sourth side.

Stupid cage decides to pass the 5-wheel NOT realizing they tend to pick up speed when going down-hill. So I'm a good distance behind on the passing & can only assume the cage driver was stupid or had seen me.

Of all darn things he cuts back into the slow lane TO FAST & to close to the 5th wheel who locked up some of his wheels so as to not hit the cage. Now here are your stupid cage drivers when one is on the hwy. Or will hug the fast lane at to slow a speed as this twit was doing.

No matter how fast I am riding I hit the slow lane & when it comes to passing, THEN I do a shoulder check, clear & then I swing out to scoot by the cage(s) & once I am WELL past them will I again swing back in again even if no one is travelling faster then myself.

Way to many people feel(?) the FAST or PASSING line is for them to ride/drive on no matter what & if you are travelling faster or want to pass then you must take the SLOW lane-----they simply do not realize they are in the wrong.

·
Registered
53 Posts
"Way to many people feel(?) the FAST or PASSING line is for them to ride/drive on no matter what & if you are travelling faster or want to pass then you must take the SLOW lane-----they simply do not realize they are in the wrong."

For sure. #1 highway rant right there. This is only bad when there is traffic impeding you obviously, when it is midnight and someone is cruising the left lane on a 3-laner, I am more than happy to pass them two lanes away and leave them in wonderland and thinking about how "fast" they must be going to have the whole fast lane to themselves.

Sometimes it seems that the right lane and on-off ramp areas are the real fastlane on my local highways, when I am moving in medium traffic with left and middle lane losers doing the same as the cars in the normal, non passing lanes. It all works out ok on the bike, as long as the traffic isn't tight, just pass-em where you can. In my 2.5L truck though, this isn't the case, and I have to get in line with all of the other losers!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Well to carry on with the last part of my ride to-day. For I am turning left from Hyy 97 with a green light, into town.

Now said road in/out of town is really for only two way traffic, but they have it with one lane going out (along with a Yield right turn onto hwy no matter what light ---& I will not tell you have often I have nearly ran into the rear of same cage as so many feel they should halt).

While two going into town. Many hold onto the fast lane for they will want to turn left into the small mall due to a major grocery strore, a greasy spoon joint, several other food places, clothing stores, etc., & some just pass the mall lot will have this left turn up the hill to their homes.

So I have taken the slow right lane for some 6-10 blocks farther along is a 4-way crossing & I usually shift into that lane a bit later for at the 4-way crossing I will turn left & start to head closer to home.

Thing is the cage to my left (the fast lane) suddenly decides to turn into my slow lane --I point the bike to the curb & hit the anchors to where I am in like Obseved Trials of a "feet up" position yet said cage driver never did see me & would you believe it, but that they to wanted to stop & turn at the 4-way crossing.

So YES I find cage drivers are dangerous when I am riding a m/c--you will also once you have some 3 to 10 yrs of riding under your belt & some hair tales to tell, especially if you are riding with them 3 to 4 times a week(of something like 4 to 6 hrs each time) in the riding season & not a short blip down to a doenut joint or to & from work with a short blip on a few week-ends..

__

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, what a very lazy and bad driver.

How close did you come to the curb?

Yeah, I've only done 8k miles so far in a bit under a year, once that gets multiplied out a few times I'm sure there will be some scary stories about morons in cages, better ones than what I have now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ScottF3 said:
...I dunno, maybe I notice less bad drivers because I am in a better mood when riding my bike....
I think that has a lot to do with it. While I keep my eyes scanning all the time and my mind trained on the what I'm doing, I'm having such a good time that I let a lot more things go. In my cage I may be grumbling under my breath (kids usually in the back, ya know) or calling people idiots at every turn.

But on my bike, I'm just like..."okay is this guy gonna pull out in front of me....yep...", so I just slow down or dodge him, whatever it takes to safely get past the situation and I move on. I don't take the time to dwell on what a fucking idiot he was like I would have in my cage. I don't lay on the horn (that's pretty much a joke on a bike anyway) or shake my fist, etc. I just shake my head on go on.

I think if I'd have that attitude behind the wheel of my cage, I'd be in a much better mood then, too.

I can only think of one occasion when I've flipped someone off while on my bike. If I do find myself getting really ticked off while riding, it's time to get off. Stop, get something to drink, have a smoke, and get back on once I've relaxed again. You aren't as attentive as you need to be if you are in a foul mood anyway.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
pyrotk: I would say around an inch though fortunately it is not the normal high curb & in last resourt I could have probably wheeled the bike up onto the boulevard----grass/weeds & all, but it was really to close for my liking.

The speedlimit is only 30kph--15mph as is the main street in this town. From now on I will scoot through there are 50-55kph--30 to 35mph just to save my skin. For there have been a few other incidents & so I have turned up the wick to get scooting.

While a few yrs ago down by the four way crossing, I mentioned above, some woman in her 50s was driving this big boat of a cage & on the slow lane that ALSO leads into a Yield right turn. I am coming to the halting point of the crossing & in last second she realized she should have turned LEFT, did so hit the front tyre of my Yamaha 600r, so I was off the bike struggling to keep it from hitting the pavement when I note a gentleman in his late 60s & across the intersection had put his emergency lights on, accidently left his door open & was limping my way to try & help me.

He confirmed how the other driver was totally in the wrong though admitted he simply could not remember the LP number & I agreed with him that at our old ages it was a problem to all of us. Only a week or two later did he realize I was a 71+yr old rider & not the young man he thought I was due to riding gear, full face helmet & such.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think you hit the head on the nail there hapmstr. I can relate to your post quite well. I find myself getting pissed off at alot of drivers when driving a car, and I find that nearly everytime I come home from a drive in the car, I am in a bad mood (a slight bit of road rage possibly?)

Also, Smitty, I actually do ride my bike everyday. You see, my car was stolen back in February, and I haven't heard a word about it since. So, I've had to ride my bike everywhere now (not that I'm complaining). My commute times to campus and work are only about 15-20 minutes each way, rather than hours, but I have actually had some very close-calls on my bike so far. Just recently, as I was on my way to work, there was an intersection that I drive through where the stop lights for some reason or another were NOT working. The intersection is right after a semi-blind right hander, so the lights and the traffic are not readily seen until you are just about at the intersection. Anyway, I was behind a pickup truck, following at a safe distance, and as I was rounding the turn, I glanced up at the light to make sure it was green, but from where I was the lights weren't at a visible angle. So, I turned my attention to the truck I was following, and assumed that if he wasnt slowing down, then the light must be green (bad assumption on my part). The person driving the pickup must have assumed the light was green as well, because he kept a constant speed until right before the intersection, where he slammed on his brakes and went from 25 mph to 0 in about 40 feet (was probably shorter). As soon as I noticed he had stopped at the intersection instead of going through, I started to downshift and brake, as his rear bumper was coming up rather quickly. All seemed fine until my rear tire broke traction, and my rear end started to drift until I came to a stop 15ft later (about 2-3 feet short of his bumper). Nothing too serious thankfully, but it got my adrenaline pumping, and it was another close-call to learn from.

--Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts