Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about a wierd noise I have been hearing from my 98 CBR600F3. It is a spinning/whining noise that I hear usually when above 15mph that I notice when pulling in the clutch to change gears. I notice it at this time because of the lack of engine/exhaust noise. I adjusted my chain to spec. this weekend and it seems to have gotten worse or maybe I perceive it being worse. If I ride without earplugs this noise can get as loud as the engine at higher speeds. I know a little noise from the gearbox is normal but I believe this is excessive. I have never had a bike that made this noise this loud; it is very annoying and quite embarassing (yes it is that loud). The dealer said it was normal but they only rode it around the parking lot so they did not get the full effect. I noticed the noise more after changing the oil. I put in 3.9qt of Honda G4 10w-40 oil. I noticed in the maunal last night that if the engine is torn down capacity is 4.4qt. I reall let the oil drain for quite a long time to make sure I had as much of the old crud out of there so I am wonder if I need to add more oil. It read between 1/2 and 3/4 on the dip-stick. Could this cause a noise like I am hearing??? Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
517 Posts
If it happened/started right after oil change, and was fine before...

You are checking oil with plug placed in top of hole, but not threaded in, right? Seems like a goofy way to do it on Honda's part, but that's what they say. If you are threading it in all the way to check, you have too little oil.

Is the oil you just put in synthetic? I don't recognize/use it, so I don't know. I noticed a definite change in sound when putting synthetic tranny oil in my car, although it is not as loud as you say.

Bent Bike in Lynnwood has Haynes manuals if you need one to assist in troubleshooting.

------------------

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it started is part of the problem. After I bought the bike I rode it home and then, except for a few rides around the block I didn't ride it much until I got the title transferred which was this weekend. I changed the oil two days after I got the bike. The wierd thing is I also notice it more after I cleaned the chain. The oil is standard Honda 10w-40 that I got from Everett Honda. I am measuring the oil as recommended whith the stick setting in the hole not threaded in. Do you or anyone else know which dealers in the Seattle area, have good service departments?

------------------

·
Registered
517 Posts
Well, I just looked in my manual and it said "low oil level may create howl...". Anyway, you are doing that right.

My bike has 6k on it, so I have not had the need for anything I couldn't tackle myself. I do have a friend who works at Cascade Motorcycle/BMW in the service department. He knows his stuff, but I don' know if they work on Japanese bikes. He would, they may not. They are over in Kirkland.

How many miles on chain?

------------------

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the original chain. According to the adjustments I made it looks like it needs to be replaced. I'll probably replace it and see if that makes any difference. Have you had to replace you chain and if so is it very easy on the CBR?? I added the rest of my last quart in last nigh so I'll take a test ride when I get home from work tonight. Thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by ChuckD (edited July 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the chains too tight or has a tight spot in it it can be pretty noisy. Make sure it's lubed well and that theres 1/2 to 3/4 inch slack in the chain with you SITTING on the bike and weight on it. If it's too tight you could cause stress on the countershaft bearings at the front sprocket which will cause premature wear.

When you check the oil you do balance the bike upright, yes? Be careful not to overfill the crankcase. The motor is designed to run with a certain air volume and pressure internally. Too much oil raises the pressure and can make it bog. Not to mention you could end up with an air box full of excess oil blow by as that's where it's routed. Right at the top line of dipstick is optimal.

I had some Hellacious noise going on when my last chain went, it sounds like maybe you have some tight spots. If the chain wasn't taken care of it could need to be replaced that early although I got about 8k mi's out of my stock chain with frequent lubing. Assuming you have a swingarm stand, try spinning the back wheel and see if there's any binding, and watch the bottom run of the chain- if it drastically bobs up and down or has a spot that it does it at, it definitely has a tight spot or spots. A little is normal after some wear but more than 1/2 inch travel can mean bad news. Good luck man.

------------------
A few clowns short of a circus...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I do ride very smoothly ( like a wuss), but my chain is nowhere near needing replacement after 6k. I lube it frequently, probably to excess. Can't imagine another 5-6 will cook it either, unless some of the wheelie-ing/tire-burning discussions here get to me.

------------------

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think the chain is causing the noise but it does seem like it is coming from the front sprocket area. It is really hard to tell. When I stopped by the dealer the tech who test rode said the chain looked loose. So I adjusted the chain a few times. It has about 9/16 in freeplay without me sitting on the bike. This noise is just so prevalent that I can't believe it is normal. The other problem is that all of the dealers are booked weeks in advance so it may take some time to get this sucker in if they say there is something wrong. If anyone knows a good Honda dealer in the Seattle area please let me know. Thanks for the help.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts