Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you like the Monster? It's the only sportbike my wife will consider. She is a crusier fan but likes the looks of the Monster. I just can't stand the way crusiers handle and perform so I'd like her to get something sporty. She doesn't like the fairing plastic look so I've suggested the Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki ZR-7, and finally Ducati Monster. How tall are you also. She's a bit on the short side so this will be a consideration too. Thanks

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

[This message has been edited by RUG BURN (edited September 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I LOVE my Monster. Get one now! I sat on one a few years ago and fell in love. I rode it 1/2 a block was hooked. It also sounds great. My hubby test drove it and came back giggling and he has a Trimph Sprint RS.

I'm 5'1". I have the pre-load set very light and I'm getting a Corbin seat next week.

I sat on the SV650 and it was too tall.

Confess - the reason you are suggesting other bikes for her is only cause you are jealous. Just get a pair of Monsters 750 & a 900.

------------------
Humm . . .

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mom (hehehe) that's exactly what I was looking for. Yeah, I would love to have one for myself--that's why I'll get one for my wife ;) . How does it handle for you? With the preload set so low, how does that effect it in the twisties? So far, this is the only non-crusier that she's shown an interest in---off to find a dealer :D .

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

·
Registered
7 Posts
The bike handles fine for me with the preload set light, for my hubby that is a differenct story. This is a good deterent to keep him off my bike.

See you still need two. . . .

------------------
Humm . . .

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MonsterMom:

See you still need two. . . .

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess she'll just have to wait for hers then :D :D Thanks a lot Mom, you've been a big help. BTW, is this your first bike, if not, do you see anything about it that you'd warn a first time rider?

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
440 Posts
I hope you don't mind me stepping in here. I'm the "hubby" MonsterMom referred to above.

Technically, this is her second motorcycle. She had a Buell Blast for a couple hundred miles, but quickly grew frustrated with the seating position and lack of power.

We haven't put many miles on the Monster, but I gave it a pretty good test ride and rode it home from the dealer, so I have a good feel for the bike. The worst thing about the Monster is the spring-loaded sidestand, and Ducati fixed that for the new models (we bought a leftover 1999). Other than that, it is a sweet-handling bike with a nice useable powerband. The torque starts lows and pulls evenly throughout the range. No sudden surges, just nice useful power delivery. Handling is, of course, excellent.

The only other drawback is getting the desmodromic valves adjusted. That's an issue for someone commuting to work, but for a weekend rider the sound of the engine alone is enough to justify the additional maintenance expense. And if, like MonsterMom, your wife has some mechanical inclination, she just might learn how to adjust those valves her own self.

Otherwise, the Monster is an excellent choice for a beginner bike. The light weight helps inspire confidence. It is relatively small for a 750, further inspiring confidence. And it is just a hoot to ride. We're talking major fun factor here. I want one of my own, but MonsterMom is balking at me getting a third street bike until we get a larger garage.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

[This message has been edited by photobug (edited September 14, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by photobug:

The only other drawback is getting the desmodromic valves adjusted. And if, like MonsterMom, your wife has some mechanical inclination, she just might learn how to adjust those valves her own self.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not a chance in Hell :D . Something else "I" get to learn I guess :rolleyes: . On the bright side, if I screw it up I still have my bike to ride LOL. Thanks for the reply Photobug--sorry we missed you at the Kerrville gathering. BTW what is the service interval for the desmo valves? This will be a strictly weekend comuter (unless I end up really liking it :D , so like you said, it probably won't be a big deal.

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
440 Posts
The valve adjustment interval is every 5,000 miles. It's about a two-hour job. Looking at the adjustment procedure shown at http://members.home.net/desmodue/2v/maint/adjust/index.html makes the job look more tedious than difficult.

I'm holding out for the Monster 900S4 for my hooligan bike. :D

I wish I'd hooked up with y'all at Kerrville too. I think I was eating breakfast in Leakey when the group rode through town. Probably missed each other by a few minutes.

I did manage to have a bit of fun on the way back from Leakey on Sunday. Christened the Truimph with a name: 151. Not that I would exceed the posted speed limit on a public road or anything, but Highway 187 has a nice long open downhill straightaway where my bike got to stretch it's legs a little. ;)

We'll be there for Big Folk in late May/early June with the Trumpet and the Duck. Let's get together then.

------------------
"I was born yesterday, but I was up late last night."
Gary P. Nunn

·
Registered
6 Posts
I LOVES me Monster.
Really I have never had another bike with as much character and it still makes me grin when I leave the light on one wheel. My local shop charged me 1 hour to adjust the valves which I thought was pretty good. I got a Haynes manual for it for Xmas but haven't had the time to really look at it.
Enjoy it.

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts